PING: Computer Gurus

SnapAttack

Donating Member
Registered
Company just went to laptop computers. Our Outlok is now synced with the corporate server. They see calanders, contacts, etc...

Question 1: What is the easiest way to transfer data from one computer to the next. Export feature?

Question 2: How can I setup my contacts and personal email folders so it stays on the harddrive and COMPLETELY away from the corporate server?

Don't really want to run (2) cpu's (personal/business).

Much thanks.

1.  DVD or CD?
2.  .PST file?
1. Yeah, but how? I can type and hit enter... other than that I don't know much about computers.

2. Someone at work mentioned this but not sure it keeps it off the server completely and don't know how to do it.

I'm archiving right now to cut down file size
rock.gif
That's what corp recommended.

beerchug.gif

To transfer data or files get a Flash drive very simple that way as far as your contacts I think you just have to enter them manually in to your new System

Oh, forgot. Running off server.

Do you have the same stuff on a home system?

r8

If you are on a network, you are subject to group policy.. you can not do what you are asking on #2 unless you use a completely different computer. (I would advise caution here as you may be in violation of company policy and could get in trouble here) I would suggest a talk with the system administrator and see what they consider "acceptable" he may even help out if so inclined

They normally do this just to safeguard data and provide a single point for backups.

Use the "backup feature" to transfer data. Is the easiest but takes a couple different steps to get both old mail and contacts..

for contacts only Contacts Linky

If you are on a network, you are subject to group policy.. you can not do what you are asking on #2 unless you use a completely different computer. (I would advise caution here as you may be in violation of company policy and could get in trouble here) I would suggest a talk with the system administrator and see what they consider "acceptable"  he may even help out if so inclined

They normally do this just to safeguard data and provide a single point for backups.

Use the "backup feature" to transfer data. Is the easiest but takes a couple different steps to get both old mail and contacts..

for contacts only  Contacts Linky
Yeah, checking on that.

We were told we could transfer our personal data over to the corporate. Thought they said in the meeting that we could do something "local" for the personal items but not sure how...

beerchug.gif

if you have "personal folders" on your machine, you can pull the .pst file and reload it on another machine. Its easy to do, probably easiest done with a USB memory stick or hard drive. Exporting server data, definitely check with the IT guys but anything on your local machine can be exported easily.
Tools -> Options -> Mail Setup -> Data files will show you where they are stored on your machine so you can back them up
beerchug.gif

emailsetup.JPG

I'm not sure about the Contacts but one option with the email is just to set your AutoArchive status to archive anything older than say, one day old and it will keep everything in an archive folder on your laptop.  Just right click on your Inbox folder and go to Properties and select the AutoArchive tab.  I'm not sure why you would want to do this however because if your hard disk dies on your laptop or if it gets stolen, you lose ALL of your emails.  I strongly suggest that you leave them on the server. You don't have to be connected to the server to view your existing emails.

I'm guessing the Corp servers are exchange.

If you are wanting to use the same computer for both and access a POP3 (most home email servers) you can make a multiple profile. When you launch out look you tell it which one you want to use. You can then store the info in another file. You can also run the corp mail in cached mode so you can access your mail while offline.

Go to control panel Mail open show profiles you add copy and remove profiles. click the prompt for profile to be used to have it ask on outlook launch. You then set up the profile to act as you want. Name, email accounts, storage, etc.

1. you can start the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard by clicking Start on a computer running Windows XP, pointing to All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then clicking Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

2. I would NEVER recommend doing that. Nor would I allow my users to do that. Setup OFFLINE ACCESS so everything is copied locally for use while you are not connected to a network, but always leave it on the server too. If it is truly PERSONAL, use a seperate webmail. EVERYTHING on a laptop should be considered totally expendable.

my 2 cents. I support laptops in a corp environment

2.  I would NEVER recommend doing that.   Nor would I allow my users to do that.  Setup OFFLINE ACCESS so everything is copied locally for use while you are not connected to a network, but always leave it on the server too.  If it is truly PERSONAL, use a seperate webmail.    EVERYTHING on a laptop should be considered totally expendable.

my 2 cents.  I support laptops in a corp environment
Agreed. Same view i would hold if I was still in management. My deal is I own a few businesses that my company has no knowledge of. Different industry BTW. I travel 70% the first part of year and this will make things MUCH smoother for me.

Created some PST's on my hard drive under My Doc's to store emails. Only the inbox and sent folder will be on company server. As long as I move it out into the PST it will stay local.

Thanks gang.

beerchug.gif

Back