guns & bearspray

red1100cc

Registered
i am leaving this sunday for 10,000mi.
traveling through populated places makes me nervous. although i am nervous of other people, i am more worried about carrying a firearm around the country.

i have thought about this a lot.

scene 1
i am bikejacked.
ok some guy tries to knock me off my bike. i am wearing a helmet and armor. it's going to take more than a fist or a knife to detur me. have you ever tried to hit a guy with a helmet on?
he sticks a gun in my face = it's just a bike (i love you Bessie, im sorry.) they can have Her!

scene 2
motel theft
it happens quick. call the cops. she's already gone.

scene 3
campsite theft
your fishing line sets off your alarm and you jump up and try and save your bike
action- see scene 4

scene 4
Easy Rider
you are beaten awake. if you were even worried, you wore your helmet to bed.
you wake up swinging, grab any weapon you might have near and fire/ or stab your way away from the bad guys.
F-everything your fighting for your life.
RUN!
adapt, overcome.
p.s. always sleep with your phone in your pocket!

with those thoughts in mind.......i do not think i am going to carry a firearm for my trip. ::9

i guess if i feel i need one i can get one along the way, but i just don't feel it's worth the risk of johnny law hassling me over it.

thoughts?? ??

p.s
i am camping in bear country, oh and i do plan on carrying bear spray. :angel:

Last edited:
Although a gun is the best deterrent, a good shot of pepper spray would work on bears, dogs, and people. We carried industrial strength pepper spray for the last few years before I retired from the police force, I only used it once on a group at a wedding reception (of all places). It worked well to calm things down.
I had a dog that I wanted to make go away - the dog couldn't see or smell so he just froze right there, and was no longer a threat. Some places consider it a weapon and if you're causing trouble can add to the charges, but if you just have it with you, you should be all right...

Bear Spray ???? Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm, the bear says, " A taste meal with salad dressing " :rofl:

Just Joking, Bear spray does work on Blk Bears for sure :thumbsup: !! Don't know about big Griz :dunno:, but I know a .375 Dangerous Game round by Hornady does :laugh:

Probably wise not to carry. Too many things can go wrong. I like the pepper spray idea.

dont carrry. Not that i dont approve cause hell we all know i think guns are an excellent idea. State laws vary so much you could be in trouble really quik if you arent familiar with all of them.

Just be smart in your campsite to Bro. Dont leave that frying pan full of bacon grease on the fire pit. You know the drill.Things like that.Seal everything up,sleep in your tent,but dont keep one crumb of food in there with you. I qwik way to get rid of robbers without a fight is to qwikly hand over your wallet. Thing is,not your real wallet. I've heard of people that carry 2. Yer good stuff in one,drivers licence,credit cards,big cash,etc. The other one can be full of expired cards and a bunch of singles.They get handed something and run off. They are just as scared as you.I think you'll be fine Bro. When I travel I always go have a look around the nasty areas just to see what they are like.Never had any trouble...just lucky I guess. Mexican slums,nasty parts of LA,ghetto's in London,England,crack-head central in Hawaii,etc etc. Just keep yer wits about you. Just look em in the eye. Dont hang yer head or look away like you're bothered by them.

If yer worried about getting knocked of yer bike.... Dead Man Switch. They run up,push you off,out comes the tether,you run for the cops,they sit there dumbfounded that their new ride wont start. :laugh: And it wont,till you come back,plug in,start up,and merrily go about your business.:whistle:

Be a bit cautious of those that attempt to befriend you aswell. You know the scam...there's a million of them. Hot chic comes up to ask for directions while her dirtbag partner steals your tankbag etc.

I think you'll be fine dude. Stay at the higher end parks and try and get motels with a ground floor suite. Then,just roll the bike in for the night...:whistle:

RSD.

I agree with what Rubb said. Be smart about it man and be wary of where you stay at night. I personally would carry my weapon with me but thats just me and how I roll. :laugh:

In most states as long as you have the firearm unloaded and separated from the magazine in a locked place like under the seat of your bike your good. If you have a CCP some states will let you carry concealed. The biggest worry is going through states with things like magazine capacity restrictions. I end up having to take my single stack 1911 when I (God forbid) have to go into Kalifornia to avoid a felony. I like your fishing line idea, never thought of that. Have a safe trip.

i would be hesitant to travel without my piece...as long as you are inside the laws of CA and NY, I believe you are ok everywhere else (not 100% sure so check for areas you will be in)...i would get a small capacity magazine (or two) and keep it unloaded any time i was riding inside a state's boundaries not covered by my CC permit...i don't worry as much during the day but would definitely want it with me and loaded each night while camping by myself :beerchug:

thank you all for your input.

Just be smart in your campsite to Bro. Dont leave that frying pan full of bacon grease on the fire pit. You know the drill.Things like that.Seal everything up,sleep in your tent,but dont keep one crumb of food in there with you. I qwik way to get rid of robbers without a fight is to qwikly hand over your wallet. Thing is,not your real wallet. I've heard of people that carry 2. Yer good stuff in one,drivers licence,credit cards,big cash,etc. The other one can be full of expired cards and a bunch of singles.They get handed something and run off. They are just as scared as you.I think you'll be fine Bro. When I travel I always go have a look around the nasty areas just to see what they are like.Never had any trouble...just lucky I guess. Mexican slums,nasty parts of LA,ghetto's in London,England,crack-head central in Hawaii,etc etc. Just keep yer wits about you. Just look em in the eye. Dont hang yer head or look away like you're bothered by them.

If yer worried about getting knocked of yer bike.... Dead Man Switch. They run up,push you off,out comes the tether,you run for the cops,they sit there dumbfounded that their new ride wont start. :laugh: And it wont,till you come back,plug in,start up,and merrily go about your business.:whistle:

Be a bit cautious of those that attempt to befriend you aswell. You know the scam...there's a million of them. Hot chic comes up to ask for directions while her dirtbag partner steals your tankbag etc.

I think you'll be fine dude. Stay at the higher end parks and try and get motels with a ground floor suite. Then,just roll the bike in for the night...:whistle:

RSD.

the extra wallet idea is good one. although it's hard to miss the big wallet chained to my backpocket.

your travel list sounds alot like mine.

im not to worried about much. most of the new friends i make will be with Police and Fire quick water rescue teams, and Org members.

im always weary of fast women and slow horses.

maybe if i camp on the beach down south i might sleep a little better at night with a firearm. maybe not.

thank you for some insightful imput. :thumbs:

I never leave home without at least one. :bigsmile:

This website can be helpful when crossing state lines... Handgunlaw.us

Have a great trip! :thumbsup:

I always checked the different state laws when I travel with mine. I have heard horror stories of people in other states even with the CCW. Get the pepper spray and velcro it to your tank when riding for quick access. Have a safe trip and take lots of pics :thumbsup:

Uh....Deliverance :laugh: Deliverance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

imagesCA81XUQB.jpg

i say carry a small firearm...i have a springfield xds just for this. look it up springfield armory xds if you havent heard of it...they make a 9mm w a 7 +1 cap or a .45 acp w a 5+1 cap.....good very concealable single stack firearm that fits in the guidelines for pretty much every states capacity.

I'm with Flicka. As long as there is reciprocity in every state I'm going thru than I'm carrying.
And even without it I'd probably still have one packed.

Like others have said do some planing for the states your going threw know the law and carry its your right. bear spray is pretty effective but you also must be aware it has its limitations. It can also disable you if sprayed into the wind. There is also a small percentage of the population that isn't affected by it. Last just be prepared as most bear spray isn't approved for use on humans there could be some legal issues as well as civil if complications occur.

Like others have said do some planing for the states your going threw know the law and carry its your right. bear spray is pretty effective but you also must be aware it has its limitations. It can also disable you if sprayed into the wind. There is also a small percentage of the population that isn't affected by it. Last just be prepared as most bear spray isn't approved for use on humans there could be some legal issues as well as civil if complications occur.

I didn't even think of that. Maybe I'll look through the cabnent and see what I have. :/

Back