Vista Help

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
I have a Vista box that my father in law had "fixed" by Best Buy when the OS went south about a month ago. When they copied the Favorites folder over from the backup, somehow the security properties got screwed up. (Can't add links) Now, trying to delete the folder and start over I can't get it to let me have access? It states read only and it won't let me change it. I have added everyone to the security permissions to no avail.

Any ideas?

Switch to Windows 7?. But on a serious note, get a hold of Lavinrac. If you fail to get a hold of him let me know and I will call him for you. He is my guru for this stuff.
Hope that helps out.

PM if you need contact info

click start > click the user Icon at the top (pic) > change User Account Control Setting. Drop security down and see if that works

Also, make sure that an "owner" is established on the folder that pertains to the admin login you are using. We have this problem at work on our servers because of people making folders where they should not and the inherent permissions get screwed up.

May not be the same for Vista, but follow these steps:

Right click on folder>properties>securitytab>advanced button>owner tab

Make sure something indicating the admins have ownership of the folder. Mine states Administrators (Laptop\Administrators) because my computer name is laptop and the admins have control of the folder. If this is blank, then you will not be able to do anything to it, even if you are an admin.

^^^^^^ That. right click on the folder. go to properties and switch it to read write. This should fix it for ya.

Owner tab pegged it. I tried adding administrators, but ended up added "everyone" to the owner and that fixed it right up.

Thanks to you sir!

Also, make sure that an "owner" is established on the folder that pertains to the admin login you are using. We have this problem at work on our servers because of people making folders where they should not and the inherent permissions get screwed up.

May not be the same for Vista, but follow these steps:

Right click on folder>properties>securitytab>advanced button>owner tab

Make sure something indicating the admins have ownership of the folder. Mine states Administrators (Laptop\Administrators) because my computer name is laptop and the admins have control of the folder. If this is blank, then you will not be able to do anything to it, even if you are an admin.

Owner tab pegged it. I tried adding administrators, but ended up added "everyone" to the owner and that fixed it right up.

Thanks to you sir!

Outstanding, I have seen this problem many times and if you are unaware that section is there, you will never get it fixed.

Glad I could help.

Back