Who knows cement/concrete? I wanna do a basketball court.

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I'm looking to get a 20x20 pad poured nice and smooth to play basketball on in the back yard. Anybody here work with concrete or cement? Which one would I want? I have zero idea of how thick or if it needs rebar/wire support? What would something like this cost me? What should I ask for or make sure I have done to have it right and long lasting?

I would recomend asphalt and I'm not sure of the price of that. In our area concrete goes for $5-$6 a squar foot if everything is ready for them to come in and pour it. We have a slight bit more of a temp. change between seasons than you. Hear I would say 3.5-4 inchs thick with joints no more than 8' apart. I would divide it into 3s with the joints to control cracks. the only 2 guarantees with concrete is it will get hard and it will crack.

Find a friend or neighbor that has had concrete poured and ask them who did it. Tell the contractor you want a 5 or 5-1/2 bag mix, slick finish with fiber to reinforce. 4 or 5 inches deep. If you're putting it where there is existing grass, you will need a few tons of rock to place under the concrete. Be sure there are no overhead wires or trees that will prevent the truck from accessing your spot. Keep in mind that any surrounding grass will have ruts in it from the truck if the ground is soft. The trucks are heavy.....You can be brave and do it all yourself, but it's easier to call someone that knows what they're doing. It can get ugly quick!
We sell concrete for about $100/cubic yard, but it varies by location. Call a ready mix plant in your area and they will tell you the concrete price. This doesn't include finishing it though.
Cement is one of the ingredients in concrete (along with sand, rock, flyash, slag, water and other chemicals) and isn't usually used alone. Call me if you got any questions......

Thanks Mr Brown. Will do.

Pics say alot so here's one of the area I want to change. On left in pic where palms are I want to take them out and put the goal up. The little broken pad and all else is gonna come up and I'd like around the size I said for shooting hoops. Big tree on right is dead so roots aren't growing anymore.
Do you think I'll still need rocks underneath or not?
ceafbecb.jpg

yes and I would get rid of that tree first. +1 on the 5.5-6 sack mix. I would put concrete there too.

yes and I would get rid of that tree first. +1 on the 5.5-6 sack mix. I would put concrete there too.

The tree is dead. I've gotten estimates of between 2-3k to remove it.
Any day now the big bad wolf will hopefully huff and puff and blow it down for me :)
I am gonna take up any roots that are going into area I want to pour but they aren't growing at all.
All rotten.

The tree is dead. I've gotten estimates of between 2-3k to remove it.
Any day now the big bad wolf will hopefully huff and puff and blow it down for me :)
I am gonna take up any roots that are going into area I want to pour but they aren't growing at all.
All rotten.

How tall is that tree??? I had a 35 foot pine that was leaning. They charged $600 to remove it and another $40 to grind the stump.

Rent a chainsaw if you don't have one and do it yourself. Then hire a guy to grind your stump.

Back