Paresthesia

Mrs.Rubber2Burn

The Diet Coke of Evil!!!
Donating Member
Registered
Has anyone ever suffered this problem? I had a root canal on Monday, and the numbness (from th local anesthesia) has yet to subside.
I called my Endodonist and he is concerned and now wants me to consult with an oral surgeon. Paresthesia is the medical term, but it is really facial paralysis. I will start drooling because my lips are so numb....GROSS!
The weird part of it all is that I am as numb as can be on the right side of my nose, lips, gums, tounge,chin, and part of cheek. The AWFUL part is the horrific PAIN involved with the tooth he worked on. He had to pack it with lots of extra disinfectant materials before sealing the tooth. The goal is to wait until after the baby is born to finish up (unless there is an emergency).
I have thrown up so much from it all that the doc is having my vicodin specially compounded into suppositories. If I don't quit throwing up by tomorrow, OB says I have to be in the hospital.

WHEW....that was a lot to type.

My main question is to ask if anyone else experienced this sort of paralysis or numbness? The pain in my jaw is excruciating, and then the numbness goes back to my gag reflex..yuck!

Last edited:
Have not suffered from, but have been warned against many times as I've had 2 Jaw surgeries. I guess its a farely common PROBLEM with jaw surgeries. Was the root canal on the bottom? I understand that is where most occurs since there are more nervous running rampant in your lower jaw than the top. Well regardless I hope all works out for the better. Keep us all updated. Thoughts and prayers sent for a speedy recovery.

Oops forgot. If you are in that much pain, I would suspect he hit the wrong nerve(I know DUH) instead of the one for the tooth!!!

I am sorry to hear this! I had an issue a wisdom tooth extraction that wound up being a nightmare that wound up involving a maxillofacial surgeon. I would call a surgeon, or neurologist post-haste. It also sounds like you are reacting to the anesthesia, so be sure to inform whoever you contact that you also exhibit those symptoms. I would tell your doctor to take the vicodin suppositories and shove them himself! There are plenty of non-narcotic analgesics out there, trust me I know from personal experience.

Good luck with this, and be sure to take charge of your situation. DO not let anyone tell you otherwise! Keep us posted with your results. :thumbsup:

What a bummer to have to go through that Kristin. I hope everything works itself out and you don't have to back until after the birth.
The worst part is Dentist's never seem to understand or want to take responsibility, like they never make mistakes. Give him a swift kick to the nuts...then he'll get it! :laugh:
Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I just got home from a "short" stay in the ER. My Obstetrician sent me there to get fluids/evaluated. Three bags of saline, and I have perked up a little. They also ran some Phenergan, Zofran, and morphine through the IV. I am now enjoying popsicles.

I have an appointment with a Neurologist this Monday.

Now to get some more sleep.

I know what you mean. I was so numb afterwards I couldn't even take the pain medicine, because I couldn't feel anything in my mouth. Things may get better though. I had a similiar experience when I had an impacted tooth and all four of my wisdom teeth pulled. They said I should begin getting the feeling back after a couple of hours, however it didn't begin to come back until the next day. It actually took a couple of weeks to get the feeling back entirely.

Wish I could say the same for my knee surgery. I never got the feeling back on the right side of my leg from it, but I can deal with that since my knee works again. :thumbsup:

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

The dentists do always seem to never take responsibility for their mistakes. They messed up a procedure on my brother to the point that his jaw got infected all the way to his eye and he had to go into the hospital for 3 days to get the problem taken care of. The dentist had to cough up the money for all of the bills and had to give my brother some compensation for his pain and suffering.

hmmm, numb face and vicodin suppositories, sounds like a frat party. hope it starts sucking a little less very soon

Back