Need your opinion if this job lead is legit or not.....

Takeuon

Registered
So I've been using all the major online job search sites Monster, Careerbuilder, Hotjobs, etc without a lot of response lately. So I thought I would expand and give Craigslist a shot.
I know how much garbage and spam leads are posted on there, and I'm weary about sending anyone my personal info. I sent my resume to this company yesterday and this is the response I just received...what do you think? A 3rd party ploy to get me to sign up with this credit check company or just a way to attempt to get my personal info forwarded to them after I've completed the credit check.

OR....do you think w/ the majoity of company's requesting background checks these days...this is for real? :dunno:
Thanks in advance for your responses!

Hi Brian,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to our job opening here at ERG Corporation. We are pleased to tell you that you have been selected into the final screening process.

This job will be a rewarding and a profitable career choice as we offer our employees top salary and health, dental, and vision packages. We believe a happy worker is the key to a growth oriented company.

As part of our routine background check of all employees we require all applicants who have reached this stage to do a routine credit check to verify your details. This check is totally free to you and all details are absolutely confidential.

Please Note: We cannot and will not use bad credit scores/ratings to deny your job application (your credit is not important to us) - this is simply to verify your past employment history.

To get your credit report at no cost we suggest you use this provider: http://creditreportsforall.com

The provider listed above provides information necessary to validate your employment history. Once you have received your report please send the Transaction ID# (Do Not Send Your Credit Report) along with your current resume to samantha_davis@ergcorporation.com.

Note: Please make sure you do not send your credit report via email because it's not safe to send confidential information over email - thank you.

Once again, thank you for your interest in the position; we look forward to working with you in the near future.

Sincerely,

Samantha Davis

Human Resources Manager
ERG Corporation
Phone: (888) 249-9197 x101
Fax: (888) 266-9386
samantha_davis@ergcorporation.com
ERG Corporation

It is a legitimate company. but agree with ajblbv about it being a rather quick turn around ad. As far as calling, alot of companies now a days if responded by email, that is typically how they respond(from my experience). I would just be rather causious in giving personnel info until for sure. I know you knew that, but just saying.

Seems like they could just contact your previous employers themselves to verify employment history instead of obtaining your credit report?

Many employers are now running credit checks in addition to employment history. If you were a CDL Hazmat Driver, the employer also has to run you driving history and criminal record. IMHO See if the company is legit, contact them separately from the email (do the phone numbers match?) and ask for/talk to the person that sent you the email. Once you confirm that it's the legit person asking for the info, then you can decide if you want to do that. Explain to the employer that you don't mind them doing the credit check if there truly is a job offer involved (make full disclosure if there's anything on there that you think you need to explain), but that you wanted to make sure it wasn't an attempt to defraud you and steal your personal information considering this came thru Craigslist.

Frankly, from the text of the email, I think it's a spammer using a legit company's name (which is why you contact them directly) to steal your info.

Craigslist is rife with fraud. Good luck.

Many employers are now running credit checks in addition to employment history. If you were a CDL Hazmat Driver, the employer also has to run you driving history and criminal record. IMHO See if the company is legit, contact them separately from the email (do the phone numbers match?) and ask for/talk to the person that sent you the email. Once you confirm that it's the legit person asking for the info, then you can decide if you want to do that. Explain to the employer that you don't mind them doing the credit check if there truly is a job offer involved (make full disclosure if there's anything on there that you think you need to explain), but that you wanted to make sure it wasn't an attempt to defraud you and steal your personal information considering this came thru Craigslist.
Frankly, from the text of the email, I think it's a spammer using a legit company's name (which is why you contact them directly) to steal your info.

Craigslist is rife with fraud. Good luck.

Thats is exactly what I will do...I will call them directly.

My gut tells me w/ the fast response time and the fact that they are trying to lead me to another site 1st.....that it is a scam conceived by the credit check website, in which they'll bait me in and get my info and try to get me to pay using my CC foir "additional services" such as I need to pay to see my Fico score or some BS. They'll probably have monthly recurring fees.
The credit check website looks legit, but for some reason I feel its a ploy by them to get me to sign up. *SIGHS*

I JUST WANT TO FIND A DECENT JOB!!!:banghead:

call the company itself and verify the girls ID id they should be able to, and just dig deeper... thats what I would do, it seems and feels like a spam...if so it would benefit the company to know....maybe then you could ask them about any positions available?

*UPDATE*

Well I just tried calling the phone number that was given at the end of the email.
Samantha Davis

Human Resources Manager
ERG Corporation
Phone: (888) 249-9197 x101

It was an "automated system" that asked for the extension....when I entered x101 it went straight to voicemail and the individuals name was NOT Samantha Davis. Called back a second time and chose the other option of x0 for operator....same shid! Straight to voicemail and the same broads name came up!
Do people really have this much friggin' time on their hands to sit around and try to find ways to screw an honest, hardworking, trying his damndest to find good work, individual :alcoholic:4

Really demoralizing I tell you :(

Anyone have any good Jerky Boys bits saved on their CPU? We should bombard their so called business answering machine w/ a bunch of their funny fake phone calls. :smad:

:laugh:

Need to drop him into your signature and give him a few good whacks..

HiiiiiiiiiiYaaaaaaaH off with your head !

I'd say keep looking elsewhere. Who knows when your dream job may fall into your lap!

I'd bet the same set of numbers has been used, and the legit company is being flooded with calls and are routing them all to answering machine. They are probably as angry about it as you are!

Call the legitimate company and tell them about it. Maybe they will reward you with a job....

FWIW I couldn't find the Imperial Financial Services Commission they claim to be licensed by. Also when I clicked on the jobs tab, it just so happens they have a job available at their office in Harrisburg, IL where I live. Imagine that. My town has less than 10,000 people, no such office exists. Nowhere on the site can you find a actual description of what they do, and what exactly is this "Group of Companies" that they are part of? It's a slick website to suck people into giving up their information. The site was designed by someone whose native language is definitely not English, and they have no physical address.
Stay away.

Looked into it a little deeper, and apparently ERG Corp, and XRC Corp are the same (non) entity....
Click here for more info.
My b/s meter was sounding pretty hard when I looked up ERG's site, it's off the charts now.....

looks like i am a little late on this.....

but i would never agree to a credit check without atleast a bona-fide offer letter in my hand...

Back