We have nobody to blame but ourselves

Yep, far left or far right; neither one wrong, but neither one right, either.

Let's face it, the only way we can get out of this hole is thru a healty dose of REALITY. Cuts in spending, to INCLUDE social programs, PLUS tax increases (and man, I REALLY hate to say this, but I'm a realist). One without the other keeps us exactly where we are now - dysfuncitonal. No new big spending programs until we get the old debt under control. Of course, I could't run in EITHER party thinking this.

Last edited:
Of course, I could't run in EITHER party thinking this.
And THAT my friend, is the saddest reality of all. I realized we were in trouble as a country when Dukakis ran in 88, (first election I had really paid any attention to) and was virtually crucified for saying he would raise taxes. Bush's response was factually correct (read my lips) but ethically a lie. There were no new taxes just as he had proclaimed, he simply jacked up existing ones....

Yep, far left or far right; neither one wrong, but neither one right, either.

Let's face it, the only way we can get out of this hole is thru a healty dose of REALITY. Cuts in spending, to INCLUDE social programs, PLUS tax increases (and man, I REALLY hate to say this, but I'm a realist). One without the other keeps us exactly where we are now - dysfuncitonal. No new big spending programs until we get the old debt under control. Of course, I could't run in EITHER party thinking this.

This is the head of the nail you hit... REALITY.

Have you been invited to go to a movie with a friend who makes twice as much as you and has half the bills and no immediate family to take care of? You know the guy... vows never to have kids, sleeps with who he wants to, drives a brand new car that's mostly (if not completely) paid off, and has the bachelor pad of all bachelor pads. It's surreal. The ability to spend money without much concern while he leaves you standing there trying to figure out where you went wrong is just baffling.

Then, he convinces you to spend your money on not just the movie ticket, but also the buttered popcorn and the biggest cup of soda they have; after all the latter two items can be refilled free of charge. Problem is, he's got you covering it because it's "easier" and "quicker" to get you both into that movie and all he has is cash.

At last, when you sit down to your movie, you sink your hand into the popcorn and after a few bites you realize you weren't really hungry. However, with a little left over butter, salt, and a few kernel-husks in your mouth you reach for your drink to wash it all down.

Now, having drank some of the soda pop, the popcorn seems more appealing. "Ah this is the life", you think to yourself. "Why don't I do this more often", you wonder.

Once the movie is over you're left with the urge to pee, a kernel lodged in the back of your throat that you can't seem to clear, and a sinking feeling about going home to the wife and kids after having spent almost $30 on two hours of life for yourself and your "buddy". You contemplate why you even bought the popcorn and soda pop... as you look over at your friend who's picking a kernel out of his thankless face.

Don't get me wrong, your friend actually looks like he's thoroughly enjoyed himself and is contemplating catching a second flick. But you realize, he won't ever pay you back, he won't think to return the favor, and he won't say "thank you". Why? Because $30 to him is like $1 to you and me. What's a little cash between friends, right?

You weren't hungry or thirsty. Why did you listen to him? Why didn't you object? Because, you're friend is considered successful and must know how to both live life and spend responsibly - let's follow his lead.

The point here is that the politicians are those "friends" who don't live in reality. They have constructed their life precisely for this type of lifestyle. One of frivolous spending, favors due to position, and ignorance when called out.

You're always paying for at least yourself... if not picking up their tab too.

We need new friends :banghead:

I hate to say it but step one in pulling us out of this nose dive would every TV in the world blowing up tonight. Anyone watch the news or tv lately? No wonder we as a people are so confused. Mass media is not our friend! Our freedoms are given up daily and most people I know say "I don't watch the news, its too depressing" or its "too stupid". We as a people have let ourselves be led by the picture box too long, and it sure would be nice if we didn't have to count on the networks to find things out. Because I truly don't think they have our interest in mind.

interesting read. although those polls can be misleading. also polls create false dichotomies not leaving any room for any gray area. for instance you like the stimilus plan or you don't. u want more unemployment benefits or you want less. most of the time real answers involve more than just a yes or no.

i don't like labeling at all. I pretty much understand how the constitution necessitates a 2 party system but I hate the idea of being a dem or rep and not looking at individual issues. parties are made up of people with ideas, it's the people that think not the party.

anyway i agree with that author about us being more responsible and thinking and participating and not watching american idol

HT, I like what you had to say in your post. It was a good way to put it that relates a lot closer to all of us.

This is the head of the nail you hit... REALITY.

Have you been invited to go to a movie with a friend who makes twice as much as you and has half the bills and no immediate family to take care of? You know the guy... vows never to have kids, sleeps with who he wants to, drives a brand new car that's mostly (if not completely) paid off, and has the bachelor pad of all bachelor pads. It's surreal. The ability to spend money without much concern while he leaves you standing there trying to figure out where you went wrong is just baffling.

Then, he convinces you to spend your money on not just the movie ticket, but also the buttered popcorn and the biggest cup of soda they have; after all the latter two items can be refilled free of charge. Problem is, he's got you covering it because it's "easier" and "quicker" to get you both into that movie and all he has is cash.

At last, when you sit down to your movie, you sink your hand into the popcorn and after a few bites you realize you weren't really hungry. However, with a little left over butter, salt, and a few kernel-husks in your mouth you reach for your drink to wash it all down.

Now, having drank some of the soda pop, the popcorn seems more appealing. "Ah this is the life", you think to yourself. "Why don't I do this more often", you wonder.

Once the movie is over you're left with the urge to pee, a kernel lodged in the back of your throat that you can't seem to clear, and a sinking feeling about going home to the wife and kids after having spent almost $30 on two hours of life for yourself and your "buddy". You contemplate why you even bought the popcorn and soda pop... as you look over at your friend who's picking a kernel out of his thankless face.

Don't get me wrong, your friend actually looks like he's thoroughly enjoyed himself and is contemplating catching a second flick. But you realize, he won't ever pay you back, he won't think to return the favor, and he won't say "thank you". Why? Because $30 to him is like $1 to you and me. What's a little cash between friends, right?

You weren't hungry or thirsty. Why did you listen to him? Why didn't you object? Because, you're friend is considered successful and must know how to both live life and spend responsibly - let's follow his lead.

The point here is that the politicians are those "friends" who don't live in reality. They have constructed their life precisely for this type of lifestyle. One of frivolous spending, favors due to position, and ignorance when called out.

You're always paying for at least yourself... if not picking up their tab too.

We need new friends :banghead:

I wish I Had Your Words..............Well Said :thumbsup:

Back