After All These Years Finally Trying A Bus

Alter Ego Trip

Registered
Quick Intro. First real bike I ever bought was an 01 R6. Sold that and went through a few Gixxer 1k's before taking a break for a bit. Few years ago I wanted something different so I purchased a 13 RC8 which I loved. Wish I would have kept that bike. I traded it for a 1290 Duke, which I rode for a couple years. I loved the power of the Duke and the styling (which most either loved or hated). For some reason it just didn't do it for me as odd as that sounds. I may be 40, but there was something about the riding position that I couldn't get used to. Maybe it's 20 years of street bike ergos, but I ended up selling her. I thought I'd put away the helmet for another couple years but the bug bit again this spring and I wanted something that was "somewhat" comfortable without the upright seating.

I ran across a really clean orange/black 08 with under 5k miles that wasn't completely molested. Has slip ones (which will be coming off in favor of a full system), and a windscreen. That's it. Super excited. While the bike isn't my first choice (or second third or fourth lol) in the looks department I wanted something that could equal the addicting freight train pull of the Duke. It also brings back memories of my 03 1k which I loved draping myself over the tank and just rolling along.

A blast from the past for me!
IMG_4874_zpsem5fm4nq.jpg

Thanks guys. Very nice. I painted my garage and cabinets an orange/gray theme to match my 6 days KTM and Duke and then sold them both, so when I saw and orange/black Busa, I knew it was fate lol.

First mods will be pc and full exhaust. I'm waffling between Brocks and Akra. I love the sound of Akra and the fact this one is about a 1/3 the price of what it cost me on my RC8 is a bonus lol.

Here's a pic of the girl. I unloaded her last night. After a 5 hr trip through a monsoon when I picked her up I didn't pay much attention to the exhaust. Come to find out the owner removed the stock cans and just tossed some megaphones on. I spent all night stressed out that he damaged the motor from running lean, but it appears the gen 2 headers have cats built into it, so it shouldn't have leaned it out too much I'm hoping.

I have already ordered a power commander and am looking for a full exhaust. Also snagged a carbon fiber GSXR1000 front fender to replace the monstrosity that's on it now lol, as well as some pilot power tires with a 190 55 rear.

Sorry for the blurry pic, might phone camera is about toast.
20170329_182944_resized.jpg

Welcome! The orange is one of my favorite colors on a busa. As for exhaust I prefer brocks. I have the black shortage on my bike. I think it is a good look over the stainless color.

Here's a pic of the girl. I unloaded her last night. After a 5 hr trip through a monsoon when I picked her up I didn't pay much attention to the exhaust. Come to find out the owner removed the stock cans and just tossed some megaphones on. I spent all night stressed out that he damaged the motor from running lean, but it appears the gen 2 headers have cats built into it, so it shouldn't have leaned it out too much I'm hoping.

I have already ordered a power commander and am looking for a full exhaust. Also snagged a carbon fiber GSXR1000 front fender to replace the monstrosity that's on it now lol, as well as some pilot power tires with a 190 55 rear.

Sorry for the blurry pic, might phone camera is about toast.
View attachment 1572100

:welcome: and she's lovely but then........I'm biased :laugh: and personally I wouldn't bother with a power commander coz any competent dyno shop will be able to re map the stock ecu :race:I've never had a power commander on any of the Suzuki's I've owned and I've owned a few :super:

Thanks,

I found a used PC5 on Ebay last night that I picked up for 110 bucks, so I figured for that amount I couldn't go wrong. :) Besides, I have no competent dyno tuners here in BFE. I'll just rock a canned map for a bit and probably add the Autotune down the road if I find it necessary. I don't race, it's just a rec rider, so I'm not worried about squeezing every last drop of power out of her.

I need to look into the tuning software. I used TuneECU on my RC8 with good luck so I'll probably try my luck on the Zooks version.

The engine is fine running those tips.
Not at it's best, but not dangerous either.
Have the ecu flashed with Ecu Editor.
That will really wake the bike up, and work with the PC.

Thanks, that certainly makes me feel better. I'm super anal about my rides. I treat them like I will keep them forever even though I usually am trying something new every couple years. :)

I was actually looking at sending it off to schnitz racing in the next couple days for the ecu flash. I was going to have the basic flash + pair disable done.

Hopefully I'll have an exhaust choice finalized in the next day or so. It sounds funny but I was almost more excited about this bike than when I brought my SD home. My first Gixxer was an 03 1k and this just brings back old memories. I feel right at home on it.

After listening to sound clips for about 3 hrs last night I'm really leaning towards the Yosh R55. I really like the looks and sound. It reminds me of the cross plane growl.

I know everyone has drank the Brocks cool aid :D, but is there really a big disparity between the two? 1 or 2 hp for me means nothing as I'm not a racer; but 5 or 6 sure does. I wear ear plugs so I don't really care about me, but I just am not a fan of tinny loud exhausts nowadays. I'll take a deep throaty growl at the expense of a couple hp any day.

I have ran the Yoshimura R77, race version, and the Brocks AH2. Power wise I can't tell the difference. Sound and looks I like the Brocks better. As far as build quality, the Yoshimura header "feels" to be made better, not saying that it is. Both are quality exhaust system and I don't think you could go wrong with either. If you like quite at lower RPMs then go with Yoshimura it does that very well. Brocks you have to try to keep quiet.

I like the Brocks TS system but I'm not a big fan of the alien head. It just doesn't look right on the big girl. Looks like it belongs more on a 600. The Akra on my RC8 sounded like sex going down the road. The Austin Racing on the SD was just plain obnoxious, even with the insert. I just don't want a repeat of that.

Duke.jpg
rc8.jpg

Back