After All These Years Finally Trying A Bus

Well I got a break in between the rain tonight to take her out for a quick spin. Here are my initial impressions. I know everyone on here has one so it's nothing new but this will be in comparison to my old rides.

1) Power is disappointing. I know you'd probably never think you'd here that about a Busa but coming from my Duke, this thing feels like a slug. I could pull third gear power wheelies all day long and 4th gear with a little bounce. That was with just a slip on, rottweiler intake, PC5 with tune, and -1 in the front. It's amazing just how much power that thing made and how low in the rev range. That being said the Busa is deceptively quick. It's a really smooth pull that just keeps going the higher you rev, unlike the Duke that puts gobs of power out but you'd better be on the shifter as you are banging the rev limiter before you know it.

2) Comfort. Everyone is different but I absolutely love the rider triangle on the Busa. I feel right at home. Maybe it's growing up on Gixxers, but it's about as comfortable as you could get on a sportbike IMO. Sure my back gets sore and my wrists hurt a bit; but it's a small price to pay for a performance machine. I love the fact that I can lay on the tank and barely feel and buffeting. My biggest complaint on these new naked bikes is there is no hiding. Anything above 100 and you'd better have on a velcro suit. It was more tiring riding in an upright position fighting the wind than laid over tucked away. Anyone complaining about the seat hasn't ridden anything else but Harleys lol. My RC8 was like a board wrapped in a paper bag. I do miss how narrow the tank is on the twins however. The Zooks are like riding a horse lol.

Say what you want about Jap bikes having no soul, but there is something to be said about the beauty of a sewing machine. People complain about the buzzing, but I didn't notice a thing. My RC8 and Duke vibrated so bad my feet and hands were literally asleep after a few miles. This thing is smooth as silk. I absolutely love that.

3) Handling. Once again this really comes down to individual taste. Is this thing a 600, no. I thought it handles extremely well. In fact, just taking it down a few of my familiar back roads I could rail through the corners quicker on it it felt than my Duke. I'm one that loves to hang off a bike and use a lot of body english though. You really couldn't do that with the Duke. The Busa you feel more a part of the bike where the Duke I felt like I was riding on top of it. I'd be willing to say I could keep up with most everyone I ride with, with the big girl.

I'm also surprised that the bike feels much smaller to me than all the reviews I've read. Is it heavy, sure; but it wears it's weight well. The fact that it sits lower helps to instill more confidence in slow speed maneuvers as well. Both KTM's I had were at least an inch taller and I could barely touch tip toed on them. I can pretty much flat foot the Busa. It feels identical to all my old Gixxers. It actually feels lighter moving around my garage than my Duke. Very odd.

All in all I'm very happy with her. My only hope is a full system, power commander, and some gearing changes will perk her up a bit. If I could get close to the power of the Duke I don't see any reason why I'd ever need to get rid of her. I have no fear of running a louder pipe after riding it. It has no cans and just the header with tips on it and it's still quite a bit quieter than my Duke with the Austin Racing exhaust. When I fired that up in the garage you could feel it in your chest. I can actually still hear the motor over the exhaust on the Busa, which is weird.

Anyways, that's my .02 cents. Feel free to give me some change back. :)

Thanks,

I found a used PC5 on Ebay last night that I picked up for 110 bucks, so I figured for that amount I couldn't go wrong. :) Besides, I have no competent dyno tuners here in BFE. I'll just rock a canned map for a bit and probably add the Autotune down the road if I find it necessary. I don't race, it's just a rec rider, so I'm not worried about squeezing every last drop of power out of her.

I need to look into the tuning software. I used TuneECU on my RC8 with good luck so I'll probably try my luck on the Zooks version.
Welcome aboard.! I'm no expert, but according to frank at powerhouse (forum sponsor), and ECU flash and then a good tune with a PC is better than tuning through ECU editor. Again, I'm no expert, so I tend to research the .org and follow the expert's advice.

Here's my baby from 14 years ago. Pretty similar styling years later.

72102753.jpg

72102771.jpg

I really hate people. No one can be honest nowadays.

So I'm flipping through the owners manual and run across a sticky note that says last oil change was 5-17-11 with 4331 miles. The bike now has right at 4,500 miles. So it looks like it hasn't had an oil change in almost 6 years? I asked the owner when I bought it and he stated it had been changed every year, and had even changed it last fall before putting the bike away for the winter.

I'm really beside myself at this point. I'm super anal about my bikes and knowing he has been running around on 5 year old oil really doesn't sit well with me. :(

Welcome to the .org! Could be a number of explanations for that oil change situation since it only had an additional 169 miles put on it. It's yours now, so you can make it how you want it to be.

Welcome to the .org! Could be a number of explanations for that oil change situation since it only had an additional 169 miles put on it. It's yours now, so you can make it how you want it to be.

I called and talked with him and he claims he did it every year and at this point seeing as I'm an owner he really doesn't have any reason to lie. It is what it is. The oil was clean and at the proper level in the sight glass so....

On a positive note here is my current laundry list of parts that should be here tomorrow.

Puig dark smoke screen
R1 throttle
Schnitz racing ecu basic flash with pair disabled
+3 supersprox rear sprocket
Pilot power 3's with 190 55 rear
R1 carbon fiber front fender
PC5 with autotune
Annitori quick shifter (had one on my RC8 and absolutely loved it)
Yosh R55 full exhaust
EBC HH front pads
BMC filter
Speedo healer
shorty levers
obligatory rim strips :)
mirror block offs
bar end mirrors
hot bodies undertail/brake light kit

I think that's it. :) This winter I'll either end up with head/cam upgrade or turbo if I can find a used one for the right price. I'm also hoping to stumble upon a used set of OZ/similar wheels for a good deal. I also have to get my jet ski ready to go. Seadoo XP with fully built Kawi 1100 stuffed in it. Made the Duke feel tame after riding it lol.

20160716_235307_resized.jpg

I really hate people. No one can be honest nowadays.

So I'm flipping through the owners manual and run across a sticky note that says last oil change was 5-17-11 with 4331 miles. The bike now has right at 4,500 miles. So it looks like it hasn't had an oil change in almost 6 years? I asked the owner when I bought it and he stated it had been changed every year, and had even changed it last fall before putting the bike away for the winter.

I'm really beside myself at this point. I'm super anal about my bikes and knowing he has been running around on 5 year old oil really doesn't sit well with me. :(

Don't stress about it. I do oil analysis just for fun on my bikes and I am 5,100 miles on Silkolene 5W40, with the last change being 2012. My oil is still clear, clean and tests 100% in specification for viscosity, additives as well as impurities. So, why bother? Go ride the bike and relax.

Don't stress about it. I do oil analysis just for fun on my bikes and I am 5,100 miles on Silkolene 5W40, with the last change being 2012. My oil is still clear, clean and tests 100% in specification for viscosity, additives as well as impurities. So, why bother? Go ride the bike and relax.

Thanks. It's just my nature. Out of a hundred different bikes over the years it's only my second used one. My oil change interval on every new one I has bought has been:

100 miles
When I put it away for the winter and a fresh change in the spring.

Yes I'm a little anal. :)

Don't do the underbody. Search for the trash can mod and make your bike more practical. Also if your still looking for the 1k front fender one year was that color. Buddy of mine had it on his looked amazing.

To the busa feeling slow glad you are changing the sprockets. Not sure what the Duke topped out at but factory I'm sure it wasn't close to 200 and you going down 1 in front just lowered that even more. That'll Def change how fast a bike feels.

Anyway welcome and enjoy it!

00t0t_iDlUSaaNi1I_600x450.jpg

Don't do the underbody. Search for the trash can mod and make your bike more practical. Also if your still looking for the 1k front fender one year was that color. Buddy of mine had it on his looked amazing.

To the busa feeling slow glad you are changing the sprockets. Not sure what the Duke topped out at but factory I'm sure it wasn't close to 200 and you going down 1 in front just lowered that even more. That'll Def change how fast a bike feels.

Anyway welcome and enjoy it!

View attachment 1572300

I don't do long distance trips much so I'm OK with less than practical. :)

I picked up a carbon fiber R1 front fender.

The Duke didn't top out anywhere near 200 but even if it could; there is no way you could have held on. You needed Velcro pants at anything above 100. That was actually my biggest complaint with it was the wind buffeting you received. Nature of the beast with naked bikes. First ride on the Busa at 120 it felt like I was standing still. Very nice change there. Trust me though; the Duke was a handful with the stock sprocket. Same torque and hp as the Busa but weighed considerably less and made the power at a MUCH lower RPM. 3rd gear power wheelies were cake and 4th gear was pretty easy with a slight bounce. Thing I love about that motor was how playful it was. The 17 Duke is even better with a 500 RPM higher rev limit and more power stock. As much as I loved it, it just didn't speak to me. And that's what riding is all about, right? :)

I wish it would freaking quit raining. We haven't had more than 2 days here this month where it hasn't been pouring. I should have bought an ark instead.

The worst part is I keep ordering more parts for it seeing as I can't ride it lol. I just need to keep this one longer than a year now. :D

So I sent the ECM to Schnitz for a flash and pair valve disable. Does this just shut down the code or does it completely disable the valve? Reason I'm wondering is; do I still need to do the marble mod or can I leave everything hooked up as is. I've always completely removed the system in the past but I don't think I'm going to bother with it this time if not needed.

Thanks; I'll toss a marble in it before buttoning back up.

Got the Yosh headers installed tonight. Holy crap that was an exercise in patience. 2+ hrs later headers are seated and torqued down. Had to drive 45 minutes to find a store that carried 8 of those buggers in stock. Anyone doing a full system; I'd highly advise removing the radiator. I'm kicking myself for just unbolting it. Would have had way more leverage to reef the tubes into position if not for that. I think the Akra on my RC8 was easier to install than this thing.

All that's left at this point is installing the ASV levers, sato frame sliders, spiegler brake/clutch lines, and hh pads. Then maybe I can get around to riding it lol. I've put maybe 10 miles on it since purchase.

Man I love the forum. Finished up power commander install and fired up bike. Lo and behold the FI light is on. :( Traced back through all the pc connections and everything is good. I'm racking my brain and hop on to find how to code check on the Busa. 5 minutes later I jumper the wires and pull C22. Good grief. Stupid IAT sensor plug was left undone. Plug back in and all good. :) Saved me hours of brain damage lol.

Back