4in or 6in? I lowered the front 2 3/4s!!

ALLshow.NOgo

Registered
Hey guys I know I have not posted in a while
sad.gif
been busy, and just letting the bike sit.  Also I picked up an 1986 5.0 GT so I have been in that. In the future that will be a monster.

Well I got bored yesterday and I put all my parts on the bike I had in my closet.  I lowered the front with an upper tree.  I accidentaly lowered it 2 3/4in, I wanted 2in or 2 1/2in drop but 1 fork was higher than the other, so I kept going till they were equal.  How would I raise it back up? That might be too low.  I will put on the adjustable kickstand and rear links later.

I am about to get the estensions for the swingarm, its 4-6in.  Keep going back and forth between 4 and 6.  But I know I can start at 6in, then move down to 4in without buying more chain.  Can someone please post side shots of busa lowered 2in, and stretched 4in and 6in? Thanks much.

I have a (?)  does the right BAR END differ from the left bar end? does the right one have a reccessed area so the throttle tube sits inside to allow it to turn? I tried a left bar end and it just makes the throttle get stuck.

Also I was told the busa could handle 60shot dry kit so I am getting that put on. Where could I go in Houston to get tuned? Does that 60shot equal 40hp wheel or more?

Bike will be rolling once I get the Billet stator cover :-) but will not ride till Spring/Summer when I get everything on the bike.

Since you are in Houston on flat ground and twisties aren't a concern, I would go 6".

I wouldn't go over a 40 shot of dry nitrous on a stock Busa either.
You will need a Power Commander for that.
Lots of people in Houston can put the dry shot on for you, but I would have JohnnyCheese in Austin do the map.
His number is (512)767-4273.

I would stay away from Klaus, and East Side Honda, for tuning.
They say that Tejas is pretty good.

2-3" low in the rear extended out 7" . Its hard to say how much its lowered with the different swingarm . The front is only lowered 1"

2.jpg

You're gonna have to raise the front up at least an inch.  Mine is at 1.25".   Never thought about pushing the tubes back down, not sure how I'd do that.  I guess you'll have to lift the front wheel off of the ground and loosen it all up and let it back down.  You certainly can't do it with the bike sitting on the front wheel, at least not easily.

Put the bike up on a rear stand, use a floor jack to support on the bottom near oil pan or headers lift till front wheel comes off of the ground, loosen the forks enough so that the weight of them pulls it all back down.

Go 6" in back...if you don't like it, going shorter will only cost you a new master link. If you go short and want it longer you'll either have to get a new chain or have two master links in it.

Good luck.

Here is mine its extended about 4" and it also has a +4 tail on it. The front it lowered 2.5" but I also run a billet oil pan and a lowered fender.

Busaparts039.jpg

Here is mine its extended about 4" and it also has a +4 tail on it. The front it lowered 2.5" but I also run a billet oil pan and a lowered fender.

Busaparts039.jpg
Derek, she's looking good dude! I haven't seen it since you turbo'd it.

Anyway, to lift the front, I would put the lift on the header. It will dent it. If you got a front stand, USE IT! I honestly can't think of another way to lift the front though...

Here's another way to lift the front. It's very basic, but it'll work. Find a big strong dude. Have him straddle the bike while lifting up on the handlebars.(As if he was sitting on the seat in the riding position and stood up.)
Basicly have the guy lift up on the bars when your ready to slide the tube. Do one fork tube at a time. You might have to push down on the tube and/or twist it alittle to compress it some. I would alittle on each side at a time, say an inch or so till you have the desired ride height. You can use a floor jack under the header to unweight the front suspension only if your running a stock header.

Another way is to use the kickstand as a lift. This is another 2 person job.

With the bike on the sidestand, have a friend you trust on the left side of the bike. Again, only do one fork tube at a time. Start with the right side tube on this one.

When your ready to slide it, have your bud on the left side holding the handlebar with his left hand and holding another solid grab point with his right hand. Have him pull/lean the bike to him slightly. What you want is to put more of the bike's weight on the kickstand with the front being focused on more. Then you can slide the fork tubes down one side at a time.  

I would invest in a front stand that lifts the bike from the steering stem between the fork tubes.

I did this on my 01 750 before and am trying to remember exactly how. I know used two tie downs and secured them (I believe) to the clip-ons then hooked the other end to my loops on a rafter in my garage. I then lifted the bike by using the ratchets on the tie downs and that pulled the front wheel off the ground. I was then able to push the tubes down through the triples. I actually had to tap them down with a rubber mallet because they didn't slide very easily.

Overall it wasn't too difficult, but I would strongly recommend having a buddy over to help.

Good luck
beerchug.gif

You can use a engine hoist also. There's so many ways to do this. Just take your time.

last one, I measured from the top of the triple, to the tip of the shock, so in reality it is a 3in drop. I just want 2.5 lol. I will look into stronger oil pan prices. Thanks again.

lower3.jpg

OH, I will go 6 over, I am not doing 2 up anymore so I might look for a bigger tail also, I think I liked the Catalyst tail I saw before

You won't be able to ride that thing that low. People do it, but end up destroying their bikes. Lowered oil pan or not.

I can see if your at the beach just cruising slowly. But as soon as you hit a dip in the road you oilpan, front fender, upper and lower fairing's are toast. I suggest removing the front fender.

Yeah I hear that lol. I put the crashed body work on temporarily to see how low it is. This is what a 3 1/2 drop looks like. measuring from stock position, past top of the clamp. here are some pics.

lower.jpg

Back