EV vehicles

You know much tech you rely on every time you drive your truck right? I believe it's a later model, electronic shift, ignition and fuel controls all controlled by brain boxes. Nevermind the fact we're relying on tech to have this discussion right now. It is absolutely all around us already.
The best thing about tech is that it's modern enough that it's still improving by leaps and bounds.
I'm still not a big fan of tech...I know my truck has too much tech and in many ways so does my bike...

....and I know tech is improving, remember the days of unreliable power accessories in cars, power windows not working, etc...

I get it, but still realize that low tech generally wins the day...

All our military vehicles got so technical they are basically disposable now because in a conflict we could never fix them fast enough....that's what won the 2nd war...low tech, the Germans' equipment was too technical and always broke whereas the Allied equipment was simple and easy to make and repair...

Now almost everything that goes into battle (including troops) require a boat load of batteries....if they can't be resupplied, the equipment stops working and people die...

@Bumblebee If you were closer I could show you some of the things happening in the EV space. I’d let you take my truck for a spin as well. I agree with you that there are improvements needed for rural infrastructure to increase adoption in those areas, but as they are remote they are less populated and the demand just isn’t there to justify the cost of upgrading. Not to say that infrastructure upgrades won’t happen but those areas will take longer. I have a home in the country that got gigabit internet service 2 years ago and before that the only option was satellite. Battery tech is improving at lightning speed and soon 600mi range vehicles will be the norm. I’ve commissioned multiple DC fast charging sites all across the lower part of Canada along highway 1 but the goal is for the non-commercial consumer to charge at home. As cell power density improves so will charging speeds, efficiency, and range. I just hope that it’s enough to give the anti-EV groups some reconsideration on their views. Ping me if you’re ever near the Pacific Northwest area.

I'm still not a big fan of tech...I know my truck has too much tech and in many ways so does my bike...

....and I know tech is improving, remember the days of unreliable power accessories in cars, power windows not working, etc...

I get it, but still realize that low tech generally wins the day...

All our military vehicles got so technical they are basically disposable now because in a conflict we could never fix them fast enough....that's what won the 2nd war...low tech, the Germans' equipment was too technical and always broke whereas the Allied equipment was simple and easy to make and repair...

Now almost everything that goes into battle (including troops) require a boat load of batteries....if they can't be resupplied, the equipment stops working and people die...
You have to admit though that tech has actually saved a lot of lives too. Some of the capabilities it opens up are mind-boggling.

@Bumblebee If you were closer I could show you some of the things happening in the EV space. I’d let you take my truck for a spin as well. I agree with you that there are improvements needed for rural infrastructure to increase adoption in those areas, but as they are remote they are less populated and the demand just isn’t there to justify the cost of upgrading. Not to say that infrastructure upgrades won’t happen but those areas will take longer. I have a home in the country that got gigabit internet service 2 years ago and before that the only option was satellite. Battery tech is improving at lightning speed and soon 600mi range vehicles will be the norm. I’ve commissioned multiple DC fast charging sites all across the lower part of Canada along highway 1 but the goal is for the non-commercial consumer to charge at home. As cell power density improves so will charging speeds, efficiency, and range. I just hope that it’s enough to give the anti-EV groups some reconsideration on their views. Ping me if you’re ever near the Pacific Northwest area.

I get the appeal of the tech, just not sure we are ready for it on a large scale yet.

Last edited:
Pretty much everything I've researched all in one article....and says the same thing as all the other articles I've looked at....

There is a good point in this being what will the average or below average earners going to be driving? Right now many of these people are picking up an inexpensive car/truck fix it up and drive it as inexpensively as they can due to their financial constraints....

How do these people fit into the EV mold? I can't see someone buying a reliable. decent EV for under a couple thousand dollars even in the distant future.

These same people are struggling with their day to day living expenses now-add in the cost of charging an EV...

Pretty much everything I've researched all in one article....and says the same thing as all the other articles I've looked at....

There is a good point in this being what will the average or below average earners going to be driving? Right now many of these people are picking up an inexpensive car/truck fix it up and drive it as inexpensively as they can due to their financial constraints....

How do these people fit into the EV mold? I can't see someone buying a reliable. decent EV for under a couple thousand dollars even in the distant future.

These same people are struggling with their day to day living expenses now-add in the cost of charging an EV...
And the other good point is the opinion that EVs will be metered separately at a higher rate.

Not in this article but of relevance is how they publish performance data. These math whizzes don't factor in that they calculate the numbers based on new batteries. As the batteries age those performance numbers diminish by large amounts. You don't go as far on a battery that has 75% life left. And the more power you use the faster they diminish the charge they offer.

I just read a piece that says stay away from an EV that has less than 50% of battery life left. It won't take you very far between charges. The cost of recharging goes up. And you face a huge expense to change the batteries. The equivalent of buying a used ICE car with an engine that needs to be rebuilt.

And the other good point is the opinion that EVs will be metered separately at a higher rate.

Not in this article but of relevance is how they publish performance data. These math whizzes don't factor in that they calculate the numbers based on new batteries. As the batteries age those performance numbers diminish by large amounts. You don't go as far on a battery that has 75% life left. And the more power you use the faster they diminish the charge they offer.

I just read a piece that says stay away from an EV that has less than 50% of battery life left. It won't take you very far between charges. The cost of recharging goes up. And you face a huge expense to change the batteries. The equivalent of buying a used ICE car with an engine that needs to be rebuilt.
Exactly.....as batteries get older they hold less charge...makes sense...

I've also read (and posted) that it wont be long before home charging stations will all be metered...it only makes sense so the electrical provider can sort out when or if there are peak periods and how to regulate power flow.....electricians who are installing home charging stations are running into issues that the home power panel either isn't able to accept the requirement of the station or isn't up too the code required by the manufacturer....this equates to big installation fees....(my neighbor has his own electrician business and has run into this problem twice so far).

I would think if a person were say shopping for a replacement phone and one was advertised with 80% battery life left, that phone would sit with very few if any people interested in it....

When my phone was new less than 2 yrs ago, it would hold a charge for 3 days with the way I use it, my use hasn't changed but it needs to be charged more frequently...I never let it get below 30% just in case.....

Exactly.....as batteries get older they hold less charge...makes sense...

I've also read (and posted) that it wont be long before home charging stations will all be metered...it only makes sense so the electrical provider can sort out when or if there are peak periods and how to regulate power flow.....electricians who are installing home charging stations are running into issues that the home power panel either isn't able to accept the requirement of the station or isn't up too the code required by the manufacturer....this equates to big installation fees....(my neighbor has his own electrician business and has run into this problem twice so far).

I would think if a person were say shopping for a replacement phone and one was advertised with 80% battery life left, that phone would sit with very few if any people interested in it....

When my phone was new less than 2 yrs ago, it would hold a charge for 3 days with the way I use it, my use hasn't changed but it needs to be charged more frequently...I never let it get below 30% just in case.....
Like any other concept, EV works, in an ideal world. In the real world there is much to overcome.

I'm a supporter of the progress. Elon set the stage for change. To that extent he is brilliant.

Lithium will be obsoleted soon. Range anxiety will be solved. Other green tech can help bolster systemic changes.

Elon drove all of it to happen.

It’s the long game that humans have to play. EV is a solid alternative and will only improve as Tom apointed out. It’ll be a generation at least but it’s inevitable.

...electricians who are installing home charging stations are running into issues that the home power panel either isn't able to accept the requirement of the station or isn't up too the code required by the manufacturer....this equates to big installation fees....
My sister bought a Tesla X or Y I don't remember now. The SUV one.

Got quoted like $5K to get a 220V charge plug that was compatible.

She took a pass on it. She just plugs into the 110 at the house. Or any charge station she can find in her travels. She doesn't go far generally. She's retired. So it's local errands usually. She says it takes days to fully charge in the 110 if she runs it down. But just to keep it "topped off", it works out for them.

You mean quadruple don't you?

They absolutely solve a problem. What they don't do is win the approval of anti EV people.
Exactly what problem do they solve?
Is there a shortage of oil we don’t know about?
Is there a shortage of ICE vehicles?
Is the air anywhere in the USA still not light years cleaner than any over China, India or Pakistan?
Are Teslas affordable to the masses?

No
No
Yes
Annnnd No

Back