Statistics

StwBusa

Banned
A while ago I was involved on here in a discussion about wearing helmets... Nooooo I am not re-hashing that..But many of the people involved quoted statistics when pointing out the need to wear a helmet..
Well its funny because as we all know statistics can be used any way you want to use them

For example I was listening to a Podcast yesterday about fatal motor vehicle accidents in the Usa and it was stated that there were 37000+ fatal accidents in the Usa in 2008 of which 14000 involved alcohol.. It struck me therefore that it could be argued (not by me I hasten to add) that as 23000+ accidents did not involve alcohol then it may be safer to drive drunk..

A facitious argument I agree BUT I think it does show that stats can basically say whatever you want them too????:beerchug:

Yep, twisted into their favor to try and impose their will upon others. Too many folks on a powertrip. There are alot of haters and gear nazi's here anyway. They will argue you to death about how unsafe you are, and then refer to all of their accidents!:rofl:
I'm in full leathers one day, and t-shirt, shorts, and nike's the next(I always with a helmet). I know the risks, and I don't care for alot of the unneeded comments that come with it. It's our own choice. Ride your ride man, not all of us want to criticise you. Some of us here just want to ask and answer questions and talk bikes:laugh::beerchug:

Yep, twisted into their favor to try and impose their will upon others. Too many folks on a powertrip. There are alot of haters and gear nazi's here anyway. They will argue you to death about how unsafe you are, and then refer to all of their accidents!:rofl:
I'm in full leathers one day, and t-shirt, shorts, and nike's the next(I always with a helmet). I know the risks, and I don't care for alot of the unneeded comments that come with it. It's our own choice. Ride your ride man, not all of us want to criticise you. Some of us here just want to ask and answer questions and talk bikes:laugh::beerchug:

:beerchug: I have to post a message containing at least 5 words, so here those 5 words are.

Figures don't lie...

Liars figure. It is amazing how easily the people can be fooled by someone sounding intelligent simply because they are afraid of being thought of as ignorant. I do believe gear saves lives and alot of pain. There's enough risk to what we do to warrant protecting youself from the crash. However, I also don't believe the government should mandate this.

Figures don't lie...

Liars figure. It is amazing how easily the people can be fooled by someone sounding intelligent simply because they are afraid of being thought of as ignorant. I do believe gear saves lives and alot of pain. There's enough risk to what we do to warrant protecting youself from the crash. However, I also don't believe the government should mandate this.

Nicely put man. Thumbs up! :thumbsup:

Here's a stat! Tomorrow you either will live or Die. So as I see it you have a 50 50 chance of surviving the day tomorrow.

Carpe diem fella's - ride fast and enjoy the day. ATGATT just in case my stats don't stand up to peer review.

I believe in dressing for the ride. The helmet thing to me is there law or no law. The full leather suit for me just because I ride a bike or the boots, not so much. I wear what I am wearing that day and since it is usually on the way to work then I dress for work. For me fortunatly in the summer is shorts t shirt and shoes. When it gets cold enough to wear pants I will wear my military boots but that is because I have like 30 pairs of them so why buy new ones lol.

Wear whats comfortable, and if you are going to go out and race or drag them wear what is safe for what you are doing.

As for the stats of everything, notice they never say anything about the thousands of riders that did not crash that day just the ones that did. or the hundreds of bikes who do not wear a helmet that did not crash just the ones that do.

In the military world I just found out that no matter whose fault it is, if I get into an accident and the other guy is drunk and a civilian, it goes against the military statistics as a motorcycle accident involving alcohol and I would have to go through a safety course and alcohol awareness class.

i could really care less what you wear, when you wear it, or how you wear it.

just remember. nobody is glad they were not wearing gear when they crash.

i could really care less what you wear, when you wear it, or how you wear it.

just remember. nobody is glad they were not wearing gear when they crash.

You are the MAN!

You put it into words as well as anyone ever has.

And let me add, "Nobody leaves home expecting to crash"!

Wear whats comfortable, and if you are going to go out and race or drag them wear what is safe for what you are doing.

As for the stats of everything, notice they never say anything about the thousands of riders that did not crash that day just the ones that did. or the hundreds of bikes who do not wear a helmet that did not crash just the ones that do.

The problem with this is you can't decide when you are not going to be in the group that doesn't crash. Planning based on the number of riders who didn't crash leaves you unprepared for the day that you are a crash statistic. I've gone down on the street twice in 100,000 miles. Once on a cruiser and once on the Busa. Both times were under 15 mph. Both times I broke a helmet bouncing my head off the pavement. It can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere.

The problem with this is you can't decide when you are not going to be in the group that doesn't crash. Planning based on the number of riders who didn't crash leaves you unprepared for the day that you are a crash statistic. I've gone down on the street twice in 100,000 miles. Once on a cruiser and once on the Busa. Both times were under 15 mph. Both times I broke a helmet bouncing my head off the pavement. It can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Oh yeah I completely agree with ya, I was just implying to dress for the ride. I know I could crash at any time but with my Kaw and the old forums that I belonged to people would fly off the handle if you didnt wear full leathers everytime you stepped on the bike. What I was saying is that if you plan on doing something specific then dress for it, If plans change then sure you take the risk of crashing and not being in the right set up.

bottom line is people will wear what they want when they want to wear it.

Back