Cornering help

newman

Registered
As you might have read I got my new Busa on jan 10th, because of the rain Iv'e only been out on it three times. After the second time out I was getting used to the foot peg position etc, but as Iv'e not been out on it for a while it seems like I have had to start again. The problem I have is slow cornering just turning left or right in to a side street. I'm taking it easy running in the new tyres but I don't know how fast or slow to take the corners do I lean in to them steer round them or what, I think I am a bit worried about of the weight of the thing and that I'm going to drop it, I go round the corner and end up going straight and on the other side of the road. I feel right silly posting this as Iv'e never had a problem riding before and feel a bit of a wuss. Thank you for any help you can give me.

It's in your head, relax. Lean and steer, you're being cautious anyway. You'll be fine, it'll just take some time to get used to.:beerchug:

Take your time and take it easy. The ground (and tires) are very cold so not so good for spirited riding, but she'll hold more than you think she will.

On a slow corner, the Busa pretty much turns in by itself. Don't fight it, just go with the bike.

This may be the best advise you'll ever get on slow corner control

The clutch is my best friend for slow corner control!

Now I want you to repeat that 1000 times.

Slip the clutch and turn your head into the corner on slow turns. This will help to stabilize the bike and keep you in control. Lee Parks teaches this in his "Total Control" class.

Find yourself a big parking lot and practice slipping the clutch while turning in circles or doing figure 8's. A little practice and you'll be a pro at slow turns.

Now don't forget to repeat the RED TEXT to yourself while practicing! :cheerleader:

Practice, practice will take care of the nervous nelly.

Look where you want to go, and a good technique to practice is a light touch on the rear brake at low speeds while turning as you arc through the corner.

Nothing wrong with being cautious. Take your time and you'll be comfy by summer.

I was a bit worried too when I 1st got the busa. I was used to a 600ZZR, but after a few days it became second nature again. Don't be affraisd to lean ito it, shes big an bulky but still handles like a sports bike. Just watch out for cold tires!!!

Practice, practice will take care of the nervous nelly.

Look where you want to go, and a good technique to practice is a light touch on the rear brake at low speeds while turning as you arc through the corner.

And when he says light touch, he means LIGHT. A little too much of a nudge on that rear brake and the dust on the road that u can't see and you'll be needing some skin grafting.

That is great advice everyone, I was feeling a little of the same. I have booked myself in to Trackdyz stage 1 here in West Oz for March as I want to learn more on slow work and my cornering. Hours in the saddle has really helped me build my confidence. I purchased 2010 white Busa in November and have been out most weekends have clocked up just over 3000km and each time my confident builds.

Kylie:cheerleader:

Set your line, enter the turn gently. Pull in the clutch, wind the motor up to 8,200 rpm and dump the clutch. Works great on the Busa. :whistle:

Sorry, mate. I feel positively evil for having posted that.

Just relax and take your time. My guess is you a now riding the biggest, most powerful bike you have ever ridden, the weather has been bad, and you're desperately afraid of dropping your new sweetheart and feeling like a total idiot. Don't worry. You've ridden before, just take it easy. Shift early and do not just whack open the throttle, at least until you are thoroughly used to the basics on this bike. The Hayabusa is a genuine sweetheart, but she has a temper that needs your respect before you start flogging her.

YOU WILL BE FINE. :beerchug:

Look where you want to go

:thumbsup: The FIRST problem most have and don't do. NO matter what's happening, LOOK :shocked: where you want to go and the rest comes naturally. You might also be taking the turn too sharply. Start your turn on the outside of the lane which will give you a bigger turning angle until your comfortable in slow turns. You can also go to a BIG EMPTY (weekend probably) Parking lot and practice slow turns without any distractions (like some JERK on your bumper) :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice. luckily I have a car park opposite me so I'll go for a practice there. My last bike was a GS 750 so I was a experienced rider but this was 32 years ago so I'll have to learn all over again. Ta.

:thumbsup:very smooth on the throttle.
Hop on her and head somewhere for a few days..{when spring arives} and you will become one with her.. Good luck and enjoy her

You right to take it very easy! But, the most dangerous time for you is just when you think you've got a handle on riding the bike and your confidence is building - this is the period when you need to use restraint. Motorcycles have a tendency to bite one in the ass when their confidence exceeds their skill level. From first time riders to pro racers.

Back