Cycle World sure got that right!

AJAY

Registered
In the January 2011 issue. It amazes me how this bike still holds up -and still leads the pack! :beerchug:
url]

Suzuki Hayabusa- Cycle World

Suzuki Hayabusa - Best Used Bikes
Best Superbike, 1999 Ten Best Awards.

Years sold: 12 (1999-2009; 2011)

MSRP new: $10,499 (1999) to $13,699 (2011)

Blue Book retail value: $5215 (1999) to $10,255 (2009)

Basic specs: A 1299cc, dohc inline-Four supersport that screamed out 161 rear-wheel horsepower and 100 ft.-lb. of torque, enough to propel this 521-pound (dry) space shuttle to a 9.86-second quarter-mile time and a phenomenal, all-time-high top speed of 194 mph. The displacement grew to 1340cc in 2008, but due to an electronically controlled 300-kph (186-mph) top-speed limit self-imposed by all the major bike manufacturers, the newer ’Busa never quite matched the original in engine performance.

Why it won: Need you even ask? The Hayabusa put the “super†in superbike back then, not only making every other bike on the planet seem slow by comparison but also offering handling that was sporty enough to do justice to the mind-fogging engine performance.

From the 1999 Ten Best story: “We’re accustomed to superbike performance improving by leaps and bounds, but never have we seen a leap like this before!â€

Useful resources: There is very little about Hayabusas that you won’t find somewhere on the Internet. From a wide variety of road tests to dedicated forums to pages of splashy ’Busa-based customs to all manner of engine and chassis hop-up sites to useful tech information to enough accessories to make your brain seize, it’s all there, along with volumes of other stuff you probably aren’t warped enough to imagine.

Despite having been manufactured in fairly big numbers, stock Hayabusas for sale are relatively scarce, since they are one of the most customized and hot-rodded motorcycles of all time. But if you can locate an early model that is still in reasonable condition, you won’t find anything else on two or four wheels that will even come close to offering as much raw performance per dollar.

Despite having been manufactured in fairly big numbers, stock Hayabusas for sale are relatively scarce, since they are one of the most customized and hot-rodded motorcycles of all time.
Well, that's true. I've only seen one Gen 1 Busa that was completely stock...and I bought it!
I have seen quite a few stock Gen 2 Busas, though. They were all owned by doctors/dentists/lawyers who were in their late forties/early fifties, which may have something to do with it.

to this day, hands down, my favorite year and color. someday i will own one as a collector! :beerchug:

Well, that's true. I've only seen one Gen 1 Busa that was completely stock...and I bought it!
I have seen quite a few stock Gen 2 Busas, though. They were all owned by doctors/dentists/lawyers who were in their late forties/early fifties, which may have something to do with it.
Too true! I bought my 07 model completely stock AND with the intention of keeping it that way. But the list of mods on my bike keep growing anyway. Most folks here would think she's completely stock. Yesterday she got the stealthy hump storage mod. LOL!

rob t, what a beauty! You need to take some pics when she's together. Never enough pics of the "Original."

Mine's stock... I'm not fifty... or a lawyer... :down:

Am I the only one that is seriously afraid to put pipes on because if you hear the pipes on a Busa, you know something illegal is taking place? When I hear that characteristic sound that is what comes to mind. :rulez: I like to be sneaky...

Last edited:
Am I the only one that is seriously afraid to put pipes on because if you hear the pipes on a Busa, you know something illegal is taking place? When I hear that characteristic sound that is what comes to mind.

I put some Yosh CF bolt-ons on mine, but left in the baffles. No other mods needed, and while it's not louder, it mellows out the sound. Plus, it looks better on my '05 LE.

Last edited:
In the January 2011 issue. It amazes me how this bike still holds up -and still leads the pack! :beerchug:
url]

Suzuki Hayabusa- Cycle World

Suzuki Hayabusa - Best Used Bikes
Best Superbike, 1999 Ten Best Awards.

Years sold: 12 (1999-2009; 2011)

MSRP new: $10,499 (1999) to $13,699 (2011)

Blue Book retail value: $5215 (1999) to $10,255 (2009)

Basic specs: A 1299cc, dohc inline-Four supersport that screamed out 161 rear-wheel horsepower and 100 ft.-lb. of torque, enough to propel this 521-pound (dry) space shuttle to a 9.86-second quarter-mile time and a phenomenal, all-time-high top speed of 194 mph. The displacement grew to 1340cc in 2008, but due to an electronically controlled 300-kph (186-mph) top-speed limit self-imposed by all the major bike manufacturers, the newer ’Busa never quite matched the original in engine performance.

Why it won: Need you even ask? The Hayabusa put the “super†in superbike back then, not only making every other bike on the planet seem slow by comparison but also offering handling that was sporty enough to do justice to the mind-fogging engine performance.

From the 1999 Ten Best story: “We’re accustomed to superbike performance improving by leaps and bounds, but never have we seen a leap like this before!â€

Useful resources: There is very little about Hayabusas that you won’t find somewhere on the Internet. From a wide variety of road tests to dedicated forums to pages of splashy ’Busa-based customs to all manner of engine and chassis hop-up sites to useful tech information to enough accessories to make your brain seize, it’s all there, along with volumes of other stuff you probably aren’t warped enough to imagine.

Despite having been manufactured in fairly big numbers, stock Hayabusas for sale are relatively scarce, since they are one of the most customized and hot-rodded motorcycles of all time. But if you can locate an early model that is still in reasonable condition, you won’t find anything else on two or four wheels that will even come close to offering as much raw performance per dollar.

Don't they do the same article every month? On a different bike?

thanks im going to she what she s worth in 20 years.
Unfortunately we'll be riding /driving electric vehicles by then. Its not like it used to be where you could keep a car around for 30 years and have a classic. That was back when oil was supposed to last forever. Times are changing. It should still hold some value for being the first though, but I don't think it'll be a real money maker. I might paint my 99 that color scheme as an experiment just to see what it does for the value over a few years time though :thumbsup:

Back