police can now estimate your speed

same here in florida, however not all deputies can do that there is a course that they must attend to guess the speed and be fairly accurate

I have heard that in the CHP academy that is a course they teach and you must pass to graduate. You must be able to guess a speed by sight and be with in a some kind of a buffer number... Is this true..calling on all Cop's chime in here :whistle:

I have heard that in the CHP academy that is a course they teach and you must pass to graduate. You must be able to guess a speed by sight and be with in a some kind of a buffer number... Is this true..calling on all Cop's chime in here :whistle:

my GF works for the CHP and said this is something she did when she was at the academy.

I'm aware of the course that is taught about assessing speed visually. It's a great tool when trained correctly, but I believe this "certification" will only allow more false tickets to be dispensed. They can use it to their advantage depending on their mood...we're all human, so don't give me no crap about "ohh they don't do that, they're professionals and pillars of the community".

Soon enough we'll need our own black boxes to get us out of the corrupted grip of the law. :poke:

Here in New York we have to go to court and state what we estimated your speed at and then followed up with the radar shot. We are sent to a State radar certification course and part of the course you have to pass is estimating speed of vehicles in different speed zones. The instructor has a speed gun only he can see and you must be plus or minus 3 or 4 mph.
We can write tickets by only an estimate but a follow up shot with radar or laser is best. Think about it guys you all do speed estimates every day.. You make a decision to walk across the road, you look at the car see its speed and think I have enough time to cross. Or you decide not to cross he is going too fast. Its the same type of thing...

In 26 years as an officer I have only written one ticket based on a speed estimate alone... Its not all that common around here.

Here in New York we have to go to court and state what we estimated your speed at and then followed up with the radar shot. We are sent to a State radar certification course and part of the course you have to pass is estimating speed of vehicles in different speed zones. The instructor has a speed gun only he can see and you must be plus or minus 3 or 4 mph.
We can write tickets by only an estimate but a follow up shot with radar or laser is best. Think about it guys you all do speed estimates every day.. You make a decision to walk across the road, you look at the car see its speed and think I have enough time to cross. Or you decide not to cross he is going too fast. Its the same type of thing...

:bs:

Yeah we all estimate distance vs speed to see if we can make a turn, not
put a number on it with a corresponding dollar amount...hundreds and hundreds
of dollars amount.

Sorry, I just think the human eye is to unreliable and easily fooled...changing
and variable light conditions, size of vehicles, style of vehicle, etc...sport bikes look
and sound fast just sitting at a red light...factor in :moon: attitude = recipe for
disaster $$$$

Now because they pass some stupid course in a controlled environement...they
can just GUESS at my speed (especially if they don't like sport bikers...) great.

I won't even get into the victimless crime aspect, waste of public funds, serve
and protect :bs: :rofl:, and the fact that the highway partol should go the way of the
dinosaur (does the highway patrol really serve any benificial function...really ???)

Cruise our neigorhoods, our schools and businesses...stop HARASSING people
just trying to get to work, out for a ride, or on vacation (hit the crack houses
and the gang cribs, like they don't know where they are )

:rant:

Ive never seen a print out, picture,date stamp from a radar unit presented with a ticket in court. Its always been the ticket writen by the pfficer that read a display off his radar gun. So, he can guess you were doin 80mph and write a ticket, or his radar can say 80mph and he can write that same ticket. If he were so inclined he could write 90mph on it and only you and he would know. Honesty is honesty, 99% of Leo's got it, this wont change that...

I got a ticket one time from an estimated speed. There was a guy next to me that the cop hit with the radar (or laser. I don't remember which) and he said he estimated my speed off of that reading. He pulled us both and gave us both tickets. In court I pleaded not guilty and told the judge what happened and that the first thing the cop told me when he walked up to my car was "I didn't clock you, but I clocked the other guy and estimated your speed off of that." The judge said to pass the academy they had to be able to judge speed in different situations to within plus or minus 2 mph, so he wasn't going to throw the ticket out. My ticket was for 62 in a 35. I was going 45...

This should not be allowed. Here in Arizona they either have to get you on radar or pace you. Those are the only 2 ways that they are allowed to get you for speeding.

One of many reasons I don't want to move back to Ohio... :moon:

OSP still has to radar or laser you to issue a ticket. This is only for local LEO...

It's ALL ABOUT MONEY and has nothing to do with speeding! This is just another way for the state to earn MORE MONEY... :poke:

But as stated above by FastFrog007...
It really doesn't matter if you get hit by the laser or radar..
There's no printout, no picture... It's just you word against a police officers..
I.e. you don't have a chance in court.. Been there, done that..
Got shot when out riding with a group, 1/4 mile away, I got a ticket, refused to sign..
Since I know the sight isn't that accurate in that distance.. Got to court, lost..
Doing 36mph in a 31mph zone.. (58km/h in a 50 zone) $250... :(

Back