HF tire changer question

mikejmd

Registered
I purchased a Harbor Freight tire changer with the motorcycle tire changer attachment.
I watched a few you tube videos of people changing tires with it. However, I did not always see the support arm (that bolts into the triangle frame) being used. Is its use necessary for function, safety or both? Do those on this board that use the HF motorcycle tire changer bother to install the support arm?
I also purchased a no-mar bar. Will I need to use tire irons along with the no-mar bar, or should the bar be enough by itself? I will be intstalling bt 016 front and rear (190/50)
Thanks, Mike.

I have changed maybe 30 sets of tires on my HF with NoMar bar... what support arm? is it on the base or the top adapter?

I've own that changer as well. I don't think you could get enough leverage on the bar without the brace clamped on top. Why would you use it without it anyway?

I asked the question only because in two of the videos I viewed I saw it used intermittently or not at all. The center post remained in place without the top support. I am not saying that the videos showed the safe way to use the changer, but it appeared like one less thing to get in the way when rotating the no-mar bar around the center post.

Been a while since this thread but I'm about to get into tire changing and basically want to know how difficult it is and how long it takes. Right now a rear tire at the shop will cost me $90 to change (ride in/ride out). At home I'd have to take the wheel assembly off, change tire, put all back together. Is it really worth the hassle? Don't know and why I'm asking.

THanks

I do all mine by myself. no tire changer here. i just use a c-clamp to break the bead and three good spoons to pop the tire off and on. usually takes me about 30 minutes per tire start to finish, including taking it off and installing it back on the bike.

dave
How and or what do you use to balance the tires when your done?? were talking Z rated right?

I bought one and mounted a set of tires with it. It makes taking tires off the rims much more simple. I really need to pick up the no mar bar because the one that comes with it will mess your rims up big time. I still had an easier time mounting the tire by hand with irons, but probably because I wasn't using it right. I'm sure after a few more tires I'll have it down better. I used the HF balancer to balance the rim after mounting of the tire.
No issues at the track.

dave
How and or what do you use to balance the tires when your done?? were talking Z rated right?

So far i have only ever had a problem with 1 tire. I mounted an avon storm front for my brother and he had a little vibe. i used dyna beads for that. Other than that i usually use no weights. I run michelin pp2ct's and they seem to be fairly accurate as far a weight goes. I have a drag specialty wheel balancing stand that i use to check, but half the time i don't even get it out.

I am in the same boat. I just dropped off my wheel again at Ultimate Cycle (Richmond, VA). They have great prices on tires, don't charge too much for the changing, but for the time to get across town, 2 trips, + a day or so of waiting...is pushing me to look at the HF changer.

I know maybe 4 other guys that would use it here too, and help to figure out the fastest way to use it. Anybody else in Richmond using one of these?

I got one of those a few years back, never changed a tire on it. Never could get the bead broke loose from the rim. Tried hammering, using boards and the front bumper of the pickup, etc.. Gave up and quite before I broke the wheel.
Shop where I buy my tires gives me very close to the best prices I see on the 'net, and mounts them for free.
Tire changer ended up being a waste of $50 for me. Rusting in the back yard, need to cut it up and throw it in the scrap dumpster at the shop.

hf changer with a few mods. MoJo blocks and bar, made a sleeve for the rod on top and bottom to take up the slack.

100_3812.jpg

100_3813.jpg

100_3814.jpg

I got one of those a few years back, never changed a tire on it. Never could get the bead broke loose from the rim. Tried hammering, using boards and the front bumper of the pickup, etc.. Gave up and quite before I broke the wheel.
Shop where I buy my tires gives me very close to the best prices I see on the 'net, and mounts them for free.
Tire changer ended up being a waste of $50 for me. Rusting in the back yard, need to cut it up and throw it in the scrap dumpster at the shop.

This is strange. I've used the same one for a number of years. Breaking the bead was the easiest part. The biggest challenge was putting the second tread of the new tire ON. Just orderd a no-mar bar to solve this issue.

Back