TRE for me?

MikeSomething

Registered
I wanna def get rid of the limiter and was lookin at the GIPro Indicator...
Just wondering what the pro's and con's are of the TRE? My bike is pretty much my street rocket and I take some hard turns... It might see some track time this summer if that means anything.

You can do a search on this topic, a few threads on this (but you'll probably get like 2 million hits, because of all the "What's a TRE" comments, I'm SURE you'll get a couple here as well). I heard that the TRE's actually hurt the HP #'s. A lot of people say that they smooth the bike out in lower rpm. I don't have one, would like too, just for the gear indicator. But I might just get the GPS mod, from Boost by Smith (member). Because the TRE makes your bike think it's in 5th gear all the time, and I'm sure that has to mess with my map ??

I'm sure someone will be able to give you the answers you're looking for, a lot of people here have the GiPro. Good luck. If you do put it on, let us know how you like it

Last edited:
Well, if I were going to buy one of these, I'd get the Boost by Smith

Gear Based Controller (GBC6)

Smithabusa is a sponsor and really knows what he's talking about:
* De-Restrictor (1N23455 de-restriction) or TRE if you prefer that (both will defeat the Suzuki 186 mph restriction) Please make special note if you require the TRE de-restriction (5th gear value sent back to the ECU at all times except when in neutral). I don't recommend the TRE but there are many out there who do like it so I will make it an option.

PLus, Smith's is smaller and better looking.

:tre:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.:laugh:

A TRE has a most special chip contained within that unleashes the beast of ANY sport bike allowing it to travel in excess of 200 MPH with no other modifications.

Parents please don't leave these things laying around the garage. It is possible for enterprising children to install them on Huffys and Schwinn's with sometimes fatal results.

:laugh:

I am a TRE hugger.

I like mine and it works for what I wanted it too...Takes the jumping and rough running out of the 1200 to 3500 rpm range.
Top speed restriction eliminated? I'm sure it does...I don't need that.
More HP? I can't see it or feel it.

I have a GI Pro on mine and dont really feel a difference one way or the other on HP. It does seem to run smoother off the line to 3500 rpm or so, and having a gear indicator is also nice.

If I lost power, I don't feel it. BTW, theres a button on the bottom of the GIPro that lets you go back to the stock map and still keep the gear indicator.

+1 on Boost By Smith. Only heard(no I don't use) good things about his products. The "On "Off" feature is great too. Use it when you want it.

so a TRE bypasses the installed map...?

i must've had a sheety map then, 'cause when i installed the TRE my bike felt like it made more.

???

so a TRE bypasses the installed map...?

i must've had a sheety map then, 'cause when i installed the TRE my bike felt like it made more.

???

It takes the stock timing map of the chosen gear (most use 5th gear) and that is the timing curve that the motor sees in all gears.
The stock lower gears have timing retardation added, (Hence Timing Retardation Eliminator) and now that is removed when the engine sees the timing of 5th gear all the time, throughout all the gears.

so..are you saying..for performance reasons BELOW 180mph that it is better to custom map instead of a tre?

Back