Thread: Clutch Noise

Default Clutch Noise

Question riders, I have a 2009 Busa and when I engage the clutch I hear a noise coming from under the bike. Once I shift the bike in gear the noise stops but it has never done this before. Is that a sign that the clutch is going bad? Or has anyone expereienced this issue before? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Clutch Noise

Check and make sure the clutch springs bolts has not loosened up.
    Past bikes.
    1993 Yamaha FZR 600. 2001 Suzuki TL1000R. 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa. 2005 GSX-R 1000. 2005 DRZ-400SM. 2002 KTM Duke II. 2004 Yamaha FJR 1300. 2006 Honda VFR 800. 2007 Kawasaki ZX 1400. 2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (for sale) 2008 Hayabusa turbo (for sale)

Top Gun

Quote Originally Posted by dyoung View Post
    Question riders, I have a 2009 Busa and when I engage the clutch I hear a noise coming from under the bike. Once I shift the bike in gear the noise stops but it has never done this before. Is that a sign that the clutch is going bad? Or has anyone expereienced this issue before? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Can you be a little more descriptive about the noise and what it sounds like?

2000 Suzuki Hayabusa - R1 Throttle tube mod - Buell peg mod
    16bit to 32bit ECU/Rotor Upgrade - PCV - SpeedoHealer - SV650s Mirrors
    Yoshi RS3 4-2-1 exhaust - +1" Raising Dog Bones - Tobin Seat
    Ballistic EVO2 LiFe Battery - Hotbodies Rear Hugger - Hump Glove Box
    Track Day Electronics Gear Position Display - Mototeck Undertail

Seasoned Beef

There was a clutch spring bolt issue. You can run it by the dealer and let them check it.
    Robert

Hayabusa Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by dadofthree View Post
    There was a clutch spring bolt issue. You can run it by the dealer and let them check it.
    Very easy to check - just pull the clutch cover and see if any of the clutch spring bolts has backed out. BTW - this should be done when you are doing an oil change (after the oil has run out)
    2008 Hayabusa - PC3, Yoshimura TRC full system, Corbin seat, SWMotech Tail Rack + Givi case, MRA Vario Touring Screen, Soupy's Bar Risers, HID Hi/Lo - 62k and Counting
    LEDRider LED Motorcycle Lights

Yes it only makes the noise when i engage the cluth and stops when I put it in gear. It make a winding/whining noise almost like a worn out brake pads on a rotor that are about to be metal on metal.

Hayabusa Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by dyoung View Post
    Yes it only makes the noise when i engage the cluth and stops when I put it in gear. It make a winding/whining noise almost like a worn out brake pads on a rotor that are about to be metal on metal.
    Check the clutch springs screws as noted above - it is a notorious issue, and easy to fix. If I recall, folks that had to fix it used Blue locktite when putting the screws back in. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.
    2008 Hayabusa - PC3, Yoshimura TRC full system, Corbin seat, SWMotech Tail Rack + Givi case, MRA Vario Touring Screen, Soupy's Bar Risers, HID Hi/Lo - 62k and Counting
    LEDRider LED Motorcycle Lights

Mine was making a hell of a racekt and it turned out to be...wait for it...wait for it...the clutch spring screws. I just knew it was something terrible going on with the basket and was ready to buy a new one and new clutches. Had my mechanic pull the cover off, tightened them up...and now I can worry about more important things like...nitrous

Thanks everyone for your input. Thats EXACTLY what it was, clutch spring bolts. Some of them were loose enough that I could turn them by hand. But I put put some locktite on them, put a new gasket cover on and the noise is gone. Time to twist on her a little bit this weekend!!!