Busa Smells And Noises

daviesmi

Registered
Maybe this should be in the engine section but.....
My 08' started last year on longer trips I would occasionally smell clutch (brake?) It would only last a few seconds and if I would stop the smell would be gone. I thought it was another vehicle because how would you smell something on the bike at highway speeds. Riding from Ohio to Florida February of this year I could smell it a few times. A few weeks ago on a 1300 mile I started hearing a new noise. Hard to explain but I'll call it cricket like and the noise will change with the clutch in or out. It's not extremely noticeable execpt I have 30000 miles on the bike so when its different I notice. The noise is coming from the right hand side.
Anyone else experienced this? Is there some type of "foot" on the clutch fork that could have worn and is now metal on metal? I need to pull off the clutch cover but I'm limited on work space so I'm hoping to have all the parts before tear down. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Hard to diagnose smells and noises on the internet but here goes bikes in general that have fairings makes all kind of weird and wonderful noises it drives me nuts on my big touring bike but I have come to live with it that said you must have good hearing because the only noise I hear on my 08 are the YOSHI slip on s exhaust note check your foot peg mounts ? exhaust mounts? As for the smell look for abnormal leaks brake reservoir coolant hoses ect if its not motor oil related meaning burning oil I would not worry about it the experience guys will chime in soon good luck :thumbsup:

Clutch bolts could've loosened and backed out, and are rubbing the inside of the cover.
There was a recall for this in 08, no thread lock from factory.
Doesn't explain the smell, but could very likely be the sound.
You can remove clutch cover easily.
Oil does Not even have to be drained with bike on kickstand.
If it is your problem, loctite and a torque wrench, and you're done.
You can also call a dealer, and they can run your vin#. If the recall wasn't done, they have to do it, free.

Is it a burnt oil smell, CO2, or burning plastic? Plastic might be a short somewhere. CO2 maybe a little exhaust leak? Do people riding with you smell it all the time? You might just get it here and there because the air flow has to be right. Next time you smell it check engine temp, rpm, etc.

I wondered if it could be something like the clutch bolts, but no it doesn't account for the smell. :/ I had it in for the ignition switch amd the voltage regulator, haven't heard of one for the clutch bolts, I'll have to look into it. The bike has 33000 miles so might be good to at least peak at the clutch.

The smell is brake or clutch only things I know that smell that way. Burnt brakes or burnt clutch...and people I ride with? Honestly its hard to find people who can keep up, most busa/ sport type bikes only want to run around town and most touring folks well go slow. I have only riden with people a few times most of my rides are 4 to 600 miles one way with the longest day being 1200 miles in about 18hrs not a lot of guys want to run like that. I have stopped to "look" for the smell when I first smell it but it never seems to be coming from the bike. At first I thought for sure it was a truck or some car but it would come back on and off enough that I am now sure it's the bike.

If the pressure plate bolts are loose, then the clutch plates can slip, and cause the fibers to burn, creating the smell.
Not saying that's the problem, but it is possible.

Being a wet clutch I don't know how you would smell it. I don't know what a drop of brake fluid would smell like blowing on the exhaust but a thought anyway. Otherwise check the brakes for a hanging/stuck caliper.

Being a wet clutch I don't know how you would smell it. I don't know what a drop of brake fluid would smell like blowing on the exhaust but a thought anyway. Otherwise check the brakes for a hanging/stuck caliper.

True, I didn't think about that.
I've smelled burnt wet clutch before, but they were toast, as in it was an obvious clutch problem, and this is not, at least as far as noticeably slipping.

Have ridden many a bike with a leaking fork(s). Never have I smelled fork oil on an exhaust. Which would make me think a drop of brake fluid wouldn't be smelled either...but the brakes would be spongey.
The OP made no mention of brake issues.
Those kind of leaks are usually easy to see too.

Definitely not brake fluid or leaking forks, I just replaced all the Hydraulic lines (brake and clutch) no leaks also just had the fork seals redone last summer no leaks. Also the brakes feel good.

I'm afraid I'm just going to have to tear in to it to find the problem. I was really hoping to have all parts on hand so the bike isn't down for an extended time mainly due to lack of space to leave a torn down bike. I'll let everyone know what I find.

Back