busa lost starter cap

snowy

Registered
i scraped a concrete median, searing off the starter cap.

problem is, all the oil spat out.
engine shut off right away.

took it down to dealer for work (covered by insurance).
dealer wont put new motor in insurance quote, said it would be 'insurance fraud'

i've talked to some performance shops, they say the busa has a high flow oil pump, and the engine will definately need replaced.

dealer says they are not suzuki shops (although they see more busa's than the dealer does...)

anyone got tips on insurance work?
i'm not trying to commit insurance fraud, but i dont want problems later on.

i would post a pic, but the image i have is too large.

here is a pic i was able to get small enough to post.

there are small scrapes on the starter. fairing damage. muffler scrape not shown in this pic.

anyone have suggestions on the motor? can it be saved? how can i tell?

clip_of_pic_1.JPG

i scraped a concrete median, searing off the starter cap.

problem is, all the oil spat out.
engine shut off right away.

took it down to dealer for work (covered by insurance).
dealer wont put new motor in insurance quote, said it would be 'insurance fraud'

i've talked to some performance shops, they say the busa has a high flow oil pump, and the engine will definately need replaced.

dealer says they are not suzuki shops (although they see more busa's than the dealer does...)

anyone got tips on insurance work?
i'm not trying to commit insurance fraud, but i dont want problems later on.  

i would post a pic, but the image i have is too large.
Uh....that's not your starter cap...that's your stator cover (correct me if I'm wrong)

There is NO WAY oil should have come out of your stator!!

stator cap then.

i'm not sure what it was called, but i know in the future, i'm getting a cap to put over it.

do you think the motor is toast?

it puked out all its oil (onto front tire) before it slipped and went over.

dealer says motor will be fine. i insist the motor is toast. if they discover this later, it will take more time.

since i'm not an expert, i thought i'd ask everyone here what they think.

that is your stator cover that is gone, yes oil is flowing freely there.....

if your lucky, you can remove the bolts from the cover, and the stator comes out with it.
... then you buy a new stator cover and stator. not expensive.

if your unlucky like me, the stator ring(is bolted to the crank and it spins around that stator) got bent, and is one with the stator..... then it gets interesting...

first, take off your left fairing, drain your oil, remove the stator cover.....
tell me how it goes. pics plz.

1) stator cover.... has a few bolts holding it on the engine case

2) stator.... bolted to the inside of the stator cover

3) rotor... spins around the stator.. if it is bent or mangled at all, you'll need to replace it too.

clip.jpg

That's some scary looking damage. I hope your left leg faired better than your Busa!

That type of damage usually happens when the bike hits pavement. There's a mandatory tip over sensor to keep you from blowing up or catching on fire but it also works great at saving the engine by immediately shutting it down.

If you hit a concrete divider while upright and that happened...yeesh
wow.gif

If you shut down the engine within a few seconds I doubt you did any damage at all. If you were freaked out and trying to come to your senses as to what was going on and left the bike running for a ½ minute or so, you may have engine damage as that's one helluva hole! If it's minor damage it may not be noticeable now but could turn major in a few thousand miles.

Try and get some kind of written guarantee from the dealer and/or insurance company.

You weren't joking when you said 'scraped'. If motor shut down straight away hopefully you should be ok ..keep us posted and good luck..

yes, my leg faired well.
only a bump and minor skined knee.
the busa took all the punishment.

the dealer has it now.
takes them forever to add up an estimate.
they seem certain the motor will be ok.
i hope they are right.

more than half the oil left while the motor was running.
oil on the front tire made it go down.
thats when the engine quit.

only injuries: cracked rib, major bruise on arm (ripped up leather jacket) bump and scrape knee. the leather jacket (with armor on elbows) saved my arm. only bruises.

Lucky you were wearing your gear ? If your dealer is any good he'll know his shid.. don't panic.. At least you wern't hurt..

From the look of it... and from your explanation that the engine shut off immediately, I dont think that you would be having an engine damage. But if your still feeling skeptical about the whole issue I agree with Turbo Tourch... ask your showroom to give you a note mentioning the nature of the current accident, along with an assurence that there is no engine damage, caus of the temporary oil loss!!

the engine ran untill the bike went over.

oil spat out while i was scraping the left side against the concrete wall at 70mph.

it ran without oil for several rpm.

the engine ran untill the bike went over.

oil spat out while i was scraping the left side against the concrete wall at 70mph.

it ran without oil for several rpm.
I'm guessing it ran for 10 seconds at the most,(judging from yer story) with some of its oil gone.
There's 3+ quarts in there.
I dont think think there will be any engine damage.Not from oil starvation anyway. You could have hurt it by other means.
The cam lobes sit in little pools of oil,the cam chain tunnel has tons of oil flying around,the trans has lots in it,the clutch rides in a pool, etc etc...

I would pull the pan thou,check for debris,clean the sceen,yadda yadda ya...

shop just ordered parts today. they say it will be 7-10 days before they start work on it.

they got all their money, so i dont think they will delay.

one thing got me angry, there wasnt any damage to the tank. why are they ordering a new tank? i took photos before tow truck came to take it to the shop. not even a scratch on tank. if they scratched the tank, i feel they should eat it, not my insurance.

so far, bill is $4400.

shop just ordered parts today.  they say it will be 7-10 days before they start work on it.

they got all their money, so i dont think they will delay.

one thing got me angry, there wasnt any damage to the tank.  why are they ordering a new tank?  i took photos before tow truck came to take it to the shop.  not even a scratch on tank.  if they scratched the tank, i feel they should eat it, not my insurance.

so far, bill is $4400.
the fuel system and the lubrication system are completely separate. There is no need to replace the tank or the fuel pump within' for this type of crash. (unless it was damaged)

My guess....they know somebody who needs a tank.

i went and looked at it last night, there is a SMALL dent on the tank. looks like they guy who towed it did it (i asume).

they say parts are ordered. could be 10 days before i can ride it home.

they have ordered a new flywheel and other stuff too.
i will try to scan the estimate and post here tonight.

thanks all of you for helping me keep from getting scammed!
i appreciate you all!

Beaverton Honda/Yamaha has got to be the slowest shop around.
i'm still waiting for them to fix it and they have had the bike 3 weeks now.

they are even paid in full.

Back