Battery troubles

Black&Bluebusa

Registered
Simple - New YTZ14BS Battery last year and I still have a random dead battery. Four times since I bought her in 02 and the only thing I can come up with is a bad rectifier thats causing a random draw on the battery every now and then. I've done every test in the book and I have ridin 5 times this year and then today after she sat for 6 days it's dead(6 volts).

Recharged the battery all day and everything is good 15v @ idle and 14.5 when riding - I figure that the rectifier is the only thing dirrectly connected to the battery and this is causing this random problem and I have nothing in the aftermarket connected to the battery (alarms,ect).

*Yep I test the current draw with the bike off and it's in specs*

I need some help on this one before I dish out $150 bucks.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

<!--EDIT|Black&amp;Bluebusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113525028 -->

.. i'm assuming you've checked for corrosion or a messed up bolt thingie that you attach the screw too?

I'm sure ya have since you've removed it.. just the only thing I knew to suggest.

The positive lead off of the battery goes to the starter relay and there is an internal connection that goes to the fuse on the starter relay. From the fuse on the starter relay there is a red/white wire that goes to fuse #1, #2 and #3 on the main fuse box ... you could unplug the fuse(s) as a test to see if she still goes dead after she sits for a few days.

The positive lead off of the battery goes to the starter relay and there is an internal connection that goes to the fuse on the starter relay. From the fuse on the starter relay there is a red/white wire that goes to fuse #1, #2 and #3 on the main fuse box ... you could unplug the fuse(s) as a test to see if she still goes dead after she sits for a few days.
I'll give that a try.

Thanks!!!

Patrick

then
what would be the outcome if is continued to drain
or if she stopped draining
rock.gif

sounds like what mine would do would charge and would be fine for few days then go to start and would not turn over i replaced the battery and fires up every time also went with stronger battery with more cranking amps to help turn over the beast the stock battery did not seem to be enough at times so went with the Yuasa YTZ14S is is the one for a 2003 honda st 1300 but puts out 230 cc amps versus 175
smile.gif

Just another update - my handy little $14 digital volt meter from Radio shack gave me a heads up on sunday.

Road her all day no prob, then go to start her up and no charge, removed conector from regulator while running and it started to charge again (idle never changed - stator still under load) so it has to be a bad regulator causing all these headaches. I've checked all connectors and they are good , a new ytz14 battery. So now I'm wainting for a new regulator to arrive from MRCYCLES only $131.00 + shipping.

If you remove the ground from the regulator with the bike running it will not charge and the rpms stay the same and I think this is also killing my battery if its like this when it's off it must be putting a drain on the battery causing it to go dead every now and then.

Wish me luck this fixes the problem.

Patrick

Interesting battery problem the other day...

I had a nice 1 hour ride. Pulled over the let a pasenger on and shut off the engine to hand 'em the helmet. 1 minute later, I went to start up and the battery was dead! I was pissed as here I was smack dab in the middle of Boston during rush hour...

I made a few calls trying to get a jump. After about 15 minutes I was about to give up in frustration and gave it one more try turning it over-- VRMMMMMM-- it started.

The battery is a year old and this is the first time it gave me problems. Any ideas? Also if it was dead, how could it possible start 15 minutes later just sitting there?

what kind of batteries are on your bikes?if its the same brand it may be the battery itself though not likely but it does happen.i used to make batteries at exide and youd be surprised how fragile they can be,if i knew it was made by exide by the way i wouldnt buy it lol.....poor quality

I had a nice 1 hour ride. Pulled over the let a pasenger on and shut off the engine to hand 'em the helmet. 1 minute later, I went to start up and the battery was dead! I was pissed as here I was smack dab in the middle of Boston during rush hour...

I made a few calls trying to get a jump. After about 15 minutes I was about to give up in frustration and gave it one more try turning it over-- VRMMMMMM-- it started.

The battery is a year old and this is the first time it gave me problems. Any ideas? Also if it was dead, how could it possible start 15 minutes later just sitting there?
Check for corrosion on the battery terminals first or loose connection - Mine did it 3 months after purchase.(corrosion on + terminal)

Pat

what kind of batteries are on your bikes?if its the same brand it may be the battery itself though not likely but it does happen.i used to make batteries at exide and youd be surprised how fragile they can be,if i knew it was made by exide by the way i wouldnt buy it lol.....poor quality
A new ytz14 battery from Honda dealership and I still had the same problems-I'm waiting for a new rectifier/regulator to come in on Monday and I hope this will fix things.

Pat

Snake,

My guess is that your problem was somehow related to your ignition switch or starter safety circuit.

B&B's problem sounds more like a static drain or discharge of the battery.

<!--EDIT|HeliBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114318288 -->

whatever it is i hope you guys get it sorted out,thats one thing i cant stand is goin to fire her up and tick tick tick tick.

My son and i went throught same problem with his
929 cbr. Found out later (after new batt) that the problem
was the rectifier/regulator. Good luck..

Finally got the part in and installed - Just in time for it too rain!!!
Rectifier seems to run cooler and more constant voltage until it's under load(old one was hot all the time) so I'll just have too wait a couple of days too see what goes on a keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your input guys!!!!!

Patrick

inmSIRNE.gif

Back