Cush Drive Issue?

IL_Bow_Man

Registered
I need to take the wheel off and check it out, but if the cush drive gets bad enough, will it start popping and making noise on decel? Not so much on acceleration or while cruising...mainly during decel while down shifting... Thoughts?

My bike has just over 50K miles and I am not sure they have ever been replaced. I know I have put 15K on these since I have gotten it. Plan on replacing any way, but just wanted to see what your thoughts are.

very likely the cush rubber are toast and i'd expect the bearings to need replacing.
when were the chain and sprockets last changed...15k is pretty good going for a chain/sprocket.

Chain and sprocket I was hoping to squeeze out the season on. I clean and lube regularly, but the rear sprocket is showing some wear. I am ordering the cush drive today and I will inspect the bearing when I have it all apart to change. With no garage, I don't want to take it all apart to check, because then I have to put it back together anyway. At least this way if it is the cush, then I will be good to go.

You'll feel the cush drive very easily...put the bike in gear and watch the wheel vs the sprocket movement as you move the bike to back and forth...any difference is due to the cush rubbers and perhaps any hooking/wear in the sprockets.

Sounds to me like the front sprocket is starting to go bad,the teeth start bending over and as you decelerate it catches the chain.....and you get the popping

Sounds more like chain/sprocket issue to me. I would replace it all while I had it apart.

Thanks guys...I will check out the front sprocket when I have it apart as well.
Just my opinion, maybe I'm lazy but when I look at maintenance I think about the hassle of tearing the bike apart and putting it back together and the possibility of stripping something. So if somethings close I replace it instead of tearing the bike down multiple times. Just my thoughts.

Back