Loose Chain

Bearusa

Registered
So all of a sudden during a ride, I feel what I think is the clutch slipping on take off. It happened only in 1st and 2nd, and only if I took off fast. Riding only shaft bikes in the past, I thought clutch. I eventually got around to checking the chain and sure enough, it was VERY loose. I was able to stretch the swingarm out per my Clymer instructions. It was no easy thing since I had had recent wrist surgery and was working with less than 2 hands. Although my '02 is riding well with no slippage, I'm wondering if it's safe. Is there anything else I should do to make sure it's good to go.
Bearusa

As long as the links move freely, are in good shape(not rusty and crusty) and you are not beyond the stretch limit, you should be fine. I'm thinking you may have an excessively worn set of sprockets. A loose chain is dangerous as is worn sprockets.

Agreed with what was said above. Make sure it is within tolerance. Count 21 pins and measure. It should be less than 319.4mm or 12.57 inches between pins. If it outside of that, you need a new chain.

Back