need some electrical input

bigtwan25

Registered
I have a 04 busa ive been dealin with that common prob of the bike not starting after its gets hot(normal temp long ride) had let the bike set and then it would start so i i cleaned off all the batt,starter,starter relay,and rr connections i attempted to test rr but couldnt get the right setting ong the multi meter so heres my finding testing off the batt

***note the rear led stop and turn sig where not connected all test where done at normal idle

batt bike turned off 12.4v
bike turned on hid lowbeam normal idle 15v
fan an hid running 13.3v
fan,hid lowbeam,regular bulb highbeam 12.2v

are these normal reading or should i do more test to try to correct this hot start prob after the test i let the bike warm up all the way up to normal temp turned the bike off n on about 10 times no slow cranks it cranked up very strong every time

any imput would be helpful my bike is my life thks guys

Its sounds like your battery is getting weak. You also need to make sure your battery has enough cranking amps besides just the voltage. You have a normal reading with the bike off, but it should be reading around 13v at idle, and creep up to about 14.5 at 5k. Check that and make sure your charging system is ok. If so, check the water level in your battery, I had may issues with my 05 and the battery going dry. I had great voltage, but no cranking amps. From what you are describing, you just need a battery.

ok im take my rr to work and get one mech to test it for me so ill know for sure its not the rr i had the batt tested earlier this season when the prob first started but just got worst so like u said it may be the batt

Check the water level, I know they are supposed to be maintenance free, but I bet you have low water levels or a dry cell.

Sounds like the Battery... silly ?, but has it ever been changed?

+18 on the new battery. They last 1-2 years tops. Get the YTZ-14S, though. The stock YT12-BS is crap.

Check the voltage after you get a new battery. The voltage should stay steady at 3K, 12.8-14V. If it's steadily dropping, check the stator and rectifier. Those are usually early model (99/00) faults, though, so a new battery will likely be all you need.

yup you guys rock got my batt tested as soon as the guy saw the case of the battery was wavey he said i can tell you right now your batt is toast so he tested and the cca were only at 40 percent

Back