08 Issues

busagirl4444

HyperActive
Donating Member
Registered
Ok so got my bike in July 09 don't recall having this issue when I got it. About a year later bought the M4 exhaust and now I have issues. I'm riding along and when I kick it up to 4th gear and get up to about 4500/5000 RPMs it hesitates(feels like the bike is trying to throw me off / over the front of the bike) It was only happening once or twice a month down in Florida. Since coming up here(St. Louis) it is happening each and ever time I ride at least once. I usually can slow the bike and down shift to 3rd and go back up into 4th. It isn't working anymore. I have not gotten a PC nor the K&N filter.

Had a Dyno check done on it this week. The fuel is all over the place and the throttle is really touchy. Made me feel better so I don't feel that I'm crazy.

My question to all you brothers and sisters(professionals) out there:

Has anyone had this issue with this particular exhaust?
Do you think that the PC3 would rectify this situation?
Could it be something to do with a throttle adjustment?
Could it be something to do with the fuel / air mixture and is there a way to adjust this without the PC?
Do I really need the PC?

While I like the idea of the ECU, I'm concerned about flashing and it not working and I loose my stock specs. At this point how important is it(unsure to be honest) I want to get on my bike with the confidence that I can go from point A to point B and enjoy a few curves here and there without having the feeling that the bike is going to cut out.

Full or Bolt on exhaust? Did you put the fuel/air sensor back in?

Really, if this is a bolt on and everything else is OEM, you shouldn't be having a problem related to the bolt on. You could always put the stock pipes back on and see if the problem continues...

But I'll bet you it's a throttle body sync, or just new plugs...

ECU editing is the best way to go, but you need someone that knows what they're doing.

Full exhaust or slip-ons ?

Its a full M-4 4-2-1 system. Yes the sensor was put back in.
And this problem is occasional. Its not happening all the time. Maybe 2-3 times a month now.
So one problem for BusaGirl is thinking when its going to happen again on a ride, is not any fun for her.

Yep it is a full system, yes sensor was put back in (but worth a check to be 100% sure)
Throttle syncing is a great check also(didn't think of it just adjustment)
I haven't changed the plug since getting it(please don't yell or judge) Worth a try also.

Sum Beach has ridden the bike also and he has first experience with it as well.

As far as using the ECU Editor, no worries about loosing the stock map. There is already a stock map in the software program and you will always be able to recover that map and flash it back into the ecu. Have no fear about using ecu editor.I use it for drag racing my 08 and I am always making changes to fuel/ignition and also playing with the
secondary throttle plate position. I have flashed my ecu well over 200 times and no troubles at all.

i still think the tps or a connection issue. if the bike goes back to idle when it does its thing and its not actually stalling.....i dont think fuel or spark is the problem.

Gen II, sensor plugged in, you should be alright without adding anything from what I've heard unless that system is making 15 ponies at the RW or something. Intermittent problems are the hardest to fix. Factory battery ?

Rectifier recall done yet? Not that this has been a reported symptom....

Can you sync the throttle bodies on a GenII seeing as how they are fuel injected?

Sounds like your problem is some sort of electrical/sensor problem.
Does the bike run fine thru first three gears and will it redline fine in those gears?
If so then when you shift to fourth it starts acting up correct?

To answer some questions:
yes it is the factory battery, yes the rectifier recall has been done.
Its usually in 4th around 4500-5000 rpm when this happens however I have experianced this in other gears as well. But it seems aways at the same rpm.
And I agree, intermittent problems and loose conections are a PITA!!!

Sounds like it is lean.

My old bike was nearly unridable at a certain spped/rpm. It would start to buck back and forth, taking the slack out of the driveline.

A dyno tune solved all of that

Sounds like it is lean.

My old bike was nearly unridable at a certain spped/rpm. It would start to buck back and forth, taking the slack out of the driveline.

A dyno tune solved all of that

Thats also what we suspect might be an issue. Shopping for a PC3USB or 5 right now and get a full dyno tune and see what happens.
Even if that does not solve the problem, it needs it anyway.

was the ignition switch recall done? certain harmonic causing a short maybe. Seems to me a sync of throttle bodies would have a more consist result if that was the problem. Intermittent sounds like electrical to me. Generally i would be suspect of a battery problem from what your saying but with the switch recall i might start there as its covered

Thats also what we suspect might be an issue. Shopping for a PC3USB or 5 right now and get a full dyno tune and see what happens.
Even if that does not solve the problem, it needs it anyway.

There is a PC5 listed in the parts and mods section in our classifieds.

Can you sync the throttle bodies on a GenII seeing as how they are fuel injected?

Sounds like your problem is some sort of electrical/sensor problem.
Does the bike run fine thru first three gears and will it redline fine in those gears?
If so then when you shift to fourth it starts acting up correct?

Yes you can sync throttle bodies. Even though they are set at the factory and cannot come out of adjustment if left untouched, sometimes Minor improvements can be made.
If the tb's are within an acceptable range the bike runs fine, but you can take the time to get them even closer. Adviseable to check for those wanting the bike as close to perfect as possible.
However assuming they've never been touched they are not suddenly out of sync or going to cause any issues.:beerchug:

To answer some questions:
yes it is the factory battery, yes the rectifier recall has been done.
Its usually in 4th around 4500-5000 rpm when this happens however I have experianced this in other gears as well. But it seems aways at the same rpm.
And I agree, intermittent problems and loose conections are a PITA!!!

Checked that battery ? 3 yrs. is good, everything after that is a blessing. Probably not, but it's a thought. Still running my factory battery too.

Having the same problem after my overhaul. is it really the battery?

to be sure, remove your old one and take it to your local auto parts store so it can be load-tested. Then you'll know if you need a new one or not.

I just went through this very same problem. The symptom is the engine simply looses power for about a tenth of a second causing the bike to lurch. It only happens when the engine is producing power. For me it was WOT at the track and it only seem to happen in 3rd gear. It began by only happening now and then, eventually happening every lap in both third and fourth gear. I checked every electrical connection starting with the battery connections, ground wire at the engine (Simple things first) until I finally found what seems to have been the issue. I spent the past two days with parts scattered all over the garage. Next track day is this Friday so we'll see if the issue is resolved. I sincerely hope so! Intermittent issues are the worst!

If I am correct it's nothing that a PC or ECU Editor will fix! However, I can assure you the M4 exhaust system has absolutely nothing to do with your problem.

Back