Starting problem and headlight inop!!

PADEROLIS

Registered
So I go to leave for work this morning and find my battery to be weak and the bike won't start, the battery is only a few months installed. I know nothing was left on and I have'nt ridden it since Monday morning. I proceed to use my jump box and it fires right up and I open the idle lever to increase the RPMs due to the engine being cold. After a couple of mins. I close idle lever and the engine dies(engine not warm enough yet I guess), I pull in the clutch lever and the bike starts up again without me physically pushing the starter button!

I then check the starter button and it is pushed in and very loose and I cannot get it to pop out again. Now everytime I pull the clutch lever in it engages the starter motor even after the bike is running and also now my headlight wont come on even though it was working before I jump started the bike, though I credit this to my starter switch problem.

How does this happen, even if all the power to the bike is turned off can a bad starter button cause the battery to go weak? Keep in mind I had to push it the first time I started it it was'nt until the engine died and I went to restart it that it started by only pulling in the clutch lever. Thanks for any input!!

Have you opened up the switch housing to see what is going on in there?

Have you opened up the switch housing to see what is going on in there?

No I have not; however since I posted this thread I have somewhat solved the problem. It looks like the starter button was stuck and when I went back out to the garage to investigate more after a few tugs it unstuck. The headlight is working again and the clutch isn't engaging the starter motor. I suspect there may be dust particals or something causing the switch to sometimes get stuck in the closed loop position. Maybe a couple of shots of compressed air will be helpful, or do you still think I need to disassemble the starter switch? Thank you for your response sir!

Try the compressed air first .
If that doesn't work then dissemble, clean and apply some di-electric grease to the contacts and or switches .

Back