Starting issue update and continuation....

SlimNickel

Registered
So, I'm still having trouble getting my bike started. I've posted about this several times, and have had some sucess and failures. Here's the background: it's a 2000, and I was going through starters like nobody's business. Think I have that fixed. Things I've done so far: new starter, starter clutch from and '06, idler gear and case from an '07, replaced the relay switch, new battery, and I'll be changing the negative battery cable..on order now. I was having an issue with the battery, because the bike wouldn't start under it's own power nor would it jump-off from a car. I used a friends' '06 battery and it was good to go, but then wouldn't work after that. So I changed the relay switch and put in a new battery. At first, there was a short bog-down, but then the bike fired right up. I let it run for a while then shut it down. Tried again, and the same thing, weak start then turn-over. I noticed that I had to push the button a couple of times, because it seemed that starter wasn't in the right place on the gear. After about three or four more tries, the battery was so weak that it would turn at all. Fuel pump turns on an primes, the relay switch clicks when I turn the key.

I read another post about the ECU. If I have a bad ECU, would that affect starting? If so, how do I test it. A buddy told me that I may have a bad ground, and that's what keeps draining the battery and shorting the power going to the starter. If I change the negative battery cable, would that possibly fix it? Could a bad ground cause weak to no starting? I tried to do the resistance check on the rectifier as well.

:please: help me.

I have a friend with a similar problem on his 2002 Busa. He changed his Rectifier and his problem was solved...His rectifier was bad and overcharging the battery causing it to get too hot and leak out all the battery water thereby draining out the charge from the battery...sounds like you have the same problem...I say this because you said your bike started once with your friends battery..my friend did the same thing..hope this helps...

I was thinking the same about the rectifier. After I was finished to trying to start it, I disconnected the battery, and the cable ends to the terminal were hot. I could barely hold onto the the screws that hold the cables to the battery.

easiest way to know if the rectifier is your problem is to connect a volt meter to the battery when the bike is @5000RPM you should get 13.5 volts to 15.0 Volts. If you get more than 15.0 Volts change the rectifier.....I got this info from my Clymer Manual..Hope this helps...

Back