Vibrating/Buzzing - re-visit

Metricman

Registered
Hello, I just bought an '04 and now have 2500 miles on it. I have read about the vibration in the engine at about 4500 rpm and how that seems to be common and I do have this issue too. However, it seems like my bike is getting somewhat worse and not better. I would have thought that the engine would start to smooth out more rather than become more buzzy. Anyone else have this issue where the vibes seem to get worse with more miles ? Is it just going through a phase (Ihope) ? I can't think what the reason would be. I noticed the other night that the oil was a little low too- down to the 'L' mark before I topped it off. I am assuming that the engine will burn a little oil the first few thousand miles like my BMW did.
I've been trying to guess as to what else might magnify the engine vibration such as a 90% worn rear tire or chain issues or something but it really just seems to be coming from the engine itself. I would like to hear from anyone else that might have experience with this.
Thank you, mike

about the oil, it will use some at the bigening until your rings will totally seat on the cylinder walls. but i am asuming you did change your oil, cause you should done it when you hit 600 niles as your first oil change, the second oil change is better to do it after 1500 miles from your fist oil change.
about the viberation that is normal. but the buzzing noise while the viberation is there, it is coming from your windscreen. when the noise is there will riding, put your hand at far front of the windscreen, the noise should change. if it did, remove your windscreen & put some tape in between the screen & the front nose. that should take care of the buzzing noise.

These bikes tend to get the muscle car rumble around 4300 to 4800 rpm and it's never going to mellow itself out over time. Just the same, it shouldn't get worse.

Have you been keeping up on cleaning and adjusting your chain?
A dirty chain with a bunch of slack with cause all sorts of bad vibes.

I'm about ready to hit 3K miles and I've had to adjust the chain 3 times so far. It gets cleaned and lubed with chain wax every 500 miles. The bike always feels SMOOTHER after cleaning the chain and there is a noticable decrease in resistance when moving the bike around the garage with leg power.

And I gotta ask...how do you have your tire 90% worn out at 2500 miles while living in Idaho?
smile.gif

Well, here in Idaho there are alot of open roads. Problem is that near where I live they 'chip seal' many of the roads out here so the surface is pretty rough, combined with the relative high speed that I commute back and forth to work and the current hot summer temps I think its pretty hard on the tires.
Yup, I am really good at cleaning and lubing and adjusting the chain.
I would like to ask though, in 5th gear do you notice any amount of vibration around 3600 rpm ? I would like to know if you would check this out and reply next time you ride. More than likely most of this has always been there but I am now just more aware of it so I consciously try and feel for it when I'm riding. I remember that I had a similar parnoid experience with my BMW which turned out to be nothing...

Thanx !!
Mike

I remember the first few weeks after I got my Busa that the vibration was very noticeable. Here are a couple of pointers that someone here passed on to me and now I hardly notice the vibration at all, even after rding for hours within that certain rpm range: 1) relax your grip, bend your elbows,and ride with the balls of your your feet, legs, and stomach muscles. ( I think I used to have a death grip on her as I was getting used to the awesome power ) and 2) I bought some different grips that help to absorb some of the buzz. I am not implying that your riding posture is bad , but just in case it's something to consider.

Hey i was on the board to post a question about buzzing in my 02 It has a little less than 12,000 miles on her now and just started buzzing. I am not talking about the usual 4,700 R.P.M. harmonic buzz that is normal. I am talking about a buzzing that is half as severe as the 4,700 R.P.M. but all the time now. Just enough to bug the piss out of me. I have rode this thing for going on thrreee years now and am fully aware when you aproach the 4700 mark but then she goes away. AThe buzz i have now is all the time and you can feeel it inn the bars , the bar ends the frame hell the whole bike. I have come to the conclusion that it is definately moter because if you pull the clutch in at even 130 M.P.H. she is really smooth but if you rev the motor up to say 3000 theres the buzz again with no clutch applied. This for me is definately not the normal harmonic buzz and it doesn't sound like it's the 4700 for you either. Hope we can get some input before i go, out here and start pulling stuff off this bike.

Throttle valves out of sync will cause an annoying high frequency vibration. No different than carbs being out of sync.

Have that checked before tearing anything apart.

Check all the nuts,and bolts..........Start with the motor mounts first. Then the swing arm. Could be an axle???

We don't want to think about something on the frame cracked.No No No. Check anyway if you don't find something loose.

Just possible ideas............

but the buzzing noise while the viberation is there, it is coming from your windscreen. when the noise is there will riding, put your hand at far front of the windscreen, the noise should change. if it did, remove your windscreen & put some tape in between the screen & the front nose. that should take care of the buzzing noise.
I just shoved some rubber beneath the nose of the windshield...i thought it was the engine too

Hi there...

I have the same problem.
I am sure it's NOT the windshield or sidecovers, because I removed these.

It's a strong vibration which is present at different RPMs. It's comparable with the 4800 RPM buzz (maybe slightly stronger). After removing all plastic parts it is still there.

This saturday my carbs will be synchronized. I allready changed the sync myself and felt a whole different vibration.

If it's not the carb sync, I will check the clutch. Sometimes the springs and/or nails on the backside of the clutchhub break or get loose.

I will post the results!! Does anybody have experience with this situation???

Patrick

Nope,

Sync is OK,
Clutch is OK
Sparkplugs, caps and wiring is OK
Balans shaft bearing is OK
Injectors are OK

Suggestions?

Back