Busa starting problem

wills rims

Registered
Hi, new to the forum. I have a Busa that will crank with new battery and charger on it and run fine until i shut it off. When i go to recrank with charger off it acts like battery is week and won't crank. The battery is a 12ABS and is new. Is there a problem with starter or starter clutch?
Thanks for any help.
Will

I thought of putting one in with more amps but the bike used to crank fine with same size battery. This sure is puzzling.I will try to get a battery tomorrow and see what it does. What size battery did you get.
Thanks

Did you change anything else when you changed the battery? I recently did my 1397, had it running fine with a 12 series battery, it finally failed(it was out of a 2 year older 1000) and was replaced with a 14 series and wouldnt start, wouldnt charge, wouldnt do anything. So, I took that 14 series battery back and the place I bought it from sait it was an "unstable" battery. So, i'll have another tomorrow to try the whole show again with. If yours gets straightened out, let me know, and I'll do the same if I can get mine figured out.

Check the condition of the battery, I bet it will fail.
Has to be done with a meter.

Batt Voltage.jpg

What kind of battery are you using? Is it one of those cheap China made ones with the lead posts? Use a good quality battery made by Furukawa, Yuasa, or Panasonic. I only use Furukawa batteries and they never failed me on any of the 3 other bikes ive had. They are a little hard to find to then Yuasa but they are high quality units. They even got them nice gold plated terminal posts. :laugh:

im not sure about those numbers that you posted but there way out.a fully charged battery only produces 12.6v .the battery has 6 cells and each produce 2.1v each. here is a good video on how to test battery,i know its on a harley but the tests are all the same.
How to Check a Motorcycle Battery: Motorcycle Repair | eHow.com

Those are the right numbers.
They are the ones my battery gives.
The injectors need about 12.5 volts to fire.
If you don't have that then that is your problem.

Those are the right numbers.
They are the ones my battery gives.
The injectors need about 12.5 volts to fire.
If you don't have that then that is your problem.

Is the injector really sensitive to being at 12.5 volts? How does the injector fire during engine cranking? I'm pretty sure volts dip down to like in the 11s during cranking. ???

My OEM Manual page 7-41 says the battery voltage should be higher than 12.5-12.6 volts. If not recharge the battery.
Page 7-42 says if the battery is less than 12.5 volts after the charge, do it again.

I took the starter out today and disassembled it to inspect and clean it. It was very dirty and a little bit oily inside. Put everything back together and the bike cranks everytime now. I don't if the charging of the new battery did it or the cleaning of the starter. I have a power sonic brand battery, which is probably one of the cheap ones. The volts would drop down to just into the 11's before it cranked. Thanks for all the input on this one. As i run into to other crazy stuff i will share it with everybody.
Thanks

Back