I think my motor seized!! HELP!

migjet

Registered
My oil light came on Wednesday so obviously I was long over due for an oil change so I set the oil change date for Saturday afternoon. Well, Saturday morning my rear tire locked up whilst riding about 80mph and I was able to coast to safety two blocks away. I had electrical power but it wouldnt turn over. I stopped that process and proceeded to try to roll it in first. It rolled but no start. Lack of knowledge forced me to tow it home. What is the process to check my bike for damage and what could be the possible damage? I know I was negligent but I aint perfect. HELP PLEASE!!!!

It sound's like you have seized the motor!

You need to tear the motor down to find the extent of the damage!

Sounds like a seized engine to me .. and you're lucky to be alive if you locked your rear tire at 80. Good luck...

Dude, WTF?

Oil light equals ZERO OIL PRESSURE, not that it's time to change the oil.
Read your owners manual.

How long is "long overdue" is what I wanna know. If you managed to run the bike out of oil it must have been way past "long overdue". The oil light is not an oil change reminder light, it's a warning light that your motor has very little oil left.

Oh my... sorry to hear about your troubles...

Oil changes are cheap insurance.

Any oil in the site window?

Does not sound good.

good luck.

By the time the oil light flickers the damage is done. If the oil light was on steady then your motor is toast. Judging by your post I doubt you have the skill required to repair it yourself (since you thought the oil light was to remind you to change it I'm guessing you're not a mechanic....) find someone you trust and take it to them. Good luck.

Oil Light on driving at 80mph :whistle:, come guy I even know to go get a quart of oil from the part store ASAP. Not to give you a hard time and I really hope that is not what's wrong with it.

Dang, sorry bro. Check the sight glass, if there is no oil, no need going futher, take it to a good shop.

O man... Why were u riding it after u saw the oil light come on and at 80mph?
The oil light = Bike needs oil ASAP

Next time like they said above, grab some oil and throw it in there once u see that light.
Change the oil every 3k miles. Done.

Short of being called a dumb *ss some of you guys are a little harsh! I am aware of the oil pressure light and it probably means I have little or no pressure. I was just trying to give a scenario of events. Changing the oil gets the engine levels back to normal with proper filtration. I didn't think it would seize in the small amount of time it took. It's bad enough I messed up but you don't have to rub it in. So, what I'm getting from the few comments that were constructive is that I have to get the engine broken down to find how extensive the damage. Has anyone ever known someone who's engine seized? Did they have to get a new engine or rebuild? A little more help please! Thanx

By the time the oil light flickers the damage is done. If the oil light was on steady then your motor is toast. Judging by your post I doubt you have the skill required to repair it yourself (since you thought the oil light was to remind you to change it I'm guessing you're not a mechanic....) find someone you trust and take it to them. Good luck.

good luck :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Depening on the extent of the damage, is dependent on what is gonna have to be done with motor. If it is to bad, it may be cheaper to just get a new/used one versus trying to rebuild the seized one. You will not really know until one gets it apart.

It is true people can be harsh on here, the reason COULD be how you presented your case. JUST SAYING.

FYFI It is good practice to check oil, tire pressure and things of the like before EVERY ride. Could be a life saving move. JUST SAYING. I know hing sight is 20/20, as long as you learn from your mistakes...........

Back