Rear shock settings

SNakez9

Registered
Hey all,

I am continually having problems with the rear tire rubbing badly when I have a passenger on the back. I have got the back raised up, because it was lowered, also tried the fender eliminator and it wore thru the top of it. So I have come to the conclusion that I might need a new rear shock or need to try and adjust mine.I have a 2000 Busa, i'm 6-2, weigh about 240 and my girlfriend weighs around 150. Can anyone tell me what the right spring adjustment settings would be for us? and is the adjusting easy to do..I have never tried it before. Let me know , my girl is wanting to take the bike down to the beach
smile.gif
thanks guys
thumb_up.gif

There aren't any responses to your questions. ?? Did you get this figured out? If so, what did you find out?

Try & loosen your top collar on your rear shock & back it out counter clockwise , Then turn your lower collar down clockwise towards your shock spring 2 full turns and then re - tighten your top collar back to your lower collar & see if that stiffens the ride up. If not repeat the process until you get the results you need. I am 6ft 230 & lowered 2 in & extended out 6 + & I did the same thing & it helped out greatly. :whistle:

What he said. I believe that adjustment is the sag adjustment. When it's adjusted right, the bike will "sag" about an inch when you mount up. If you can find a spanner wrench, it's easier to move the rings on top of the spring. When you have the bottom one set the way it should be, tighten the top one down on top of it and you're good to go.

--Wag--

I adjusted the preload of my rear shock by doing the collar adjustment thing like they mentioned above. I have 20mm of thread exposed above the locking collar if that helps you judge where you stand. It was set to about 1/2 that stock from the factory.

im 290 and I dont ever ride anyone,stock swingarm,burned a hole thrue undertail,extended 6"..forget about it,had rear shock revalved and rebuilt with 1300lb rated spring along with a 1" spacer and slammed....no issues!! best $240 i ever spent on it

Back