Plastics blowing off?!

gsx1300rr

Registered
I just finished stretching 6" & lowering 2" rear 1" front last night. My 1st fast ride the side fairings & the lower panel blew off at 150ish. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before??
This was also the first time I went that fast after having a liquid/air plenum installed so some of the inner fairings had to be removed. Does lowering it increase air flow/turbulence? I don't know what to think about any of it....

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know of any sponsors that sell plastics?!

041.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

:laugh:That sucks man. I had the whole left fairing blow off a ZX7 I used to have, topped out in 6th, so about the same speed. It took me a while to find, and the distance it traveled from where it came off was amazing.:laugh:

Hit up Justin at Honda east for your plastics. I think he is on vacation this week but will help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you say you took some of the inners off? which prob put a lot of air pressure on the outters at 150, has to be what happened, i wonder what other turbo guys are doing???

It's just so demoralizing. After all this time/work/money to get it to this point, the plastics blow off. Any ideas on preventing it in the future?
Posted via Mobile Device

It's just so demoralizing. After all this time/work/money to get it to this point, the plastics blow off. Any ideas on preventing it in the future?
Posted via Mobile Device

You weakened the inner structure of the fairings. It happens on turbo bikes when you start removing support panels at the front of the bike.
Posted via Mobile Device

:wtf:...man sorry to hear about the blow off...must of scared the Dahebegebees outta ya.:hide:

Shouldn't happen something was done wrong. I have seen plenty of full fairing turbos going fast. Never heard of a Busa flying apart at 150 mph. Hopefully our LSR guys will chime in to help..

or maybe the gen1's were meant to go faster :whistle: :hide:

Are you sure all the Hardware was in? I've seen plenty of turbo bikes going faster than that with no issues.

I was always having to resnap the underpinning and right side fairing on my 08 after anything over 150. it never came all the way out though.

Hear about this a lot on Gen II's running top end.

Mine was nice and tight before the run.

Fairing.jpg

They're taping the gap between the nose and lower fairings at LSR, but that's a little north of 150ish :whistle:

I think it has more to do with the install. I think some people are breaking tabs when they take them off and then they don't stay together when riding. Run some clear tape along the seems if you want a little extra safety but they do have to be installed correctly.

Did you remove anything in the pics because it looks like a bolt is missing on the rear lower??

Back