zx12 vs busa

That was one helluva video.
beerchug.gif

I especially liked the closing video segment with all the burnouts and wheelies. Those guys are just friggin nuts.
cool.gif

WOW! Watta video! And I was always told a 'Busa couldn't be walked.

Now as for the topic, almost everyone here could agree that a race result is determined by 20% bike and 80% rider. I have seen liter bikes lose 1/4 mile races to 600s, and a race through a good set of twisties is more technical so it would definantly come down to the rider.

Everyone assumes there is a huge difference in the way the busa handles even vs the liter bikes. Im sure there is when you take a racer , on a race track and let him go. However , take a street rider , on a street and theres not a lot of difference . My bud just got back from his 1st track day. It was your basic bunch of every day riders who wanted to learn how to go a lil faster in the corners. In his group was a 04 r1 , 04 rr1000 , a older 750 and a 03 busa. I asked him how the busa did. " just fine" was his reply it had no probs holding the same pace as the other bikes.

I think of it this way on a race track .

If one guy is a mediocre rider on a tight race track with many turns he'll do better on the Busa because of the way it lays the power down . If he is not used to the bike or track and winds up in the wrong gear time after time the Busa power will help him out with lap times and won't lift the wheel in slower 2nd gear corners as he exits like the 12r will which would make him chop the throttle losing more time

Brakes won't come into play . Lap after lap if there's a long straight or multiple straights the brake marker will come earlier and earlier as the rider tires out both physically and mentally .

Same rider as above will do better on an FZ1 IMO and even better yet on a 1988 Ninja 600

the zx12R will make it embarassing for the busa.
I think you need to go back to your jigowatt producing crack pipe or whatever it was you were trying to generate. I don't know if you even own a bike and am not usually one to take someone on because it is a waste of testosterone, but I would love to hand you your ass on whatever it is your riding.
smile.gif
the jokes on you JustinTime....

I owned a zx11.

I also owned a zx-12r.

Now I own a Hayabusa.

I know what Im talking about, and you obviously never rode a zx12r or you would never allow yourself to look so stupid with your criticism of my opinion.

And for the record, I said if the riders knew their bikes equally, the 12 would beat the busa in the "twisties".

I judge each bike individually, - not with blind loyalty to "my brand".

laugh.gif

I owned a zx11.

I also owned a zx-12r.  

Now I own a Hayabusa.
Just out of curioisity, what was your reason for switching from the ZX-12R to the Hayabusa?

I admit that when I was looking at purchasing the 'Busa I was also looking at the ZX-12R. The deciding factor for me was less about performance than comfort, 2-up riding ability, and "bottom end", which makes the bike easier to ride when you're not thrashing it. I wanted a fast Sports Tourer.

According to the specs I've read (and I can't guarantee the accuracy) the 'Busa produces 98.4lb of torque at 7,000rpm, whereas the '12 puts out 91.4lb at 7,750rpm. Similarly, the 'Busa gives 158hp at 9,750rpm versus the '12s 159.8 at 10,250. To me at least, it appeared you would have to work the '12 harder to get the same amount of power (regardless of engine speed.)

This is also the reason why I wasn't interested in a litre bike incidentally, because you have to work them even harder for the same results. They may have "knife edge" handling, but that doesn't make up for the fact that you are uncomfortable and having to "stay busy" all the time to appreciate it. I would consider one for the track though.

I owned a zx11.

I also owned a zx-12r.

Now I own a Hayabusa.
Just out of curioisity, what was your reason for switching from the ZX-12R to the Hayabusa?

I admit that when I was looking at purchasing the 'Busa I was also looking at the ZX-12R. The deciding factor for me was less about performance than comfort, 2-up riding ability, and "bottom end", which makes the bike easier to ride when you're not thrashing it. I wanted a fast Sports Tourer.

According to the specs I've read (and I can't guarantee the accuracy) the 'Busa produces 98.4lb of torque at 7,000rpm, whereas the '12 puts out 91.4lb at 7,750rpm. Similarly, the 'Busa gives 158hp at 9,750rpm versus the '12s 159.8 at 10,250. To me at least, it appeared you would have to work the '12 harder to get the same amount of power (regardless of engine speed.)

This is also the reason why I wasn't interested in a litre bike incidentally, because you have to work them even harder for the same results. They may have "knife edge" handling, but that doesn't make up for the fact that you are uncomfortable and having to "stay busy" all the time to appreciate it. I would consider one for the track though.
Just like you, I was looking for the kind of comfort that the busa provides me that the 12 could not. I also like the busa's bodywork and fit and finish a lot more than the 12's openness where you can see a bunch of innerworkings that I find unsightly to the eye.

The zx12r was too high off the ground and too aggressive of a seating position than the busa.

I also couldnt get a corbin backrest for a pillion on the zx12r and I was used to having that on the zx11, so I was disappointed.

I have already ordered it for the busa.

I "enjoy" the busa a lot more than I "liked" the 12r. The 12 was not the proper successor to the zx11, - it was a different animal.

The busa is the proper successor to the zx11, and I love it.

The 12r and the busa are nothing alike, in my opinion. The only thing they have in common is that they are both just as fast as eachother.

The busa is the better bike to me, because it is more GT oriented. I like the low end torque too.

The zx12r is the better choice for a track race over a busa. It will do a better job at that.

In a straight line, they are both damn near a dead heat.

I didnt buy the busa for performance over the 12, I bought it for the "sweetness" of comfort, stability, low seat height, pillion ability, grunty torque, slicker bodypanels, fasteners, and better lines.

I owned a zx11.

I also owned a zx-12r.  

Now I own a Hayabusa.

What does the 12 weigh?

Why do you say

The busa would have nothing on the zx12r in the straights[/QUOTE]

Then you say

In a straight line, they are both damn near a dead heat.[/QUOTE]

It seems you changed your story. The 12 is number 2 and the busa is number 1. Period. Both were designed to do one thing - be the fastest bikes top speed and the 12 never achieved this and now it is second place.

The bikes are so close together is all comes down to the rider.

Why do you say

The busa would have nothing on the zx12r in the straights

Then you say

In a straight line, they are both damn near a dead heat.[/QUOTE]

It seems you changed your story. The 12 is number 2 and the busa is number 1. Period. Both were designed to do one thing - be the fastest bikes top speed and the 12 never achieved this and now it is second place.

The bikes are so close together is all comes down to the rider.[/QUOTE]
I said the busa would have NOTHING on the 12 in the straights.

Then I said they are a damn near dead heat.

HOW can you possible determine that I changed my opinion in those 2 sentences?

One has nothing over the other...they are a dead heat.

Nice try. I am just sharing my honest opinion after owning both bikes. Please stop trying to "catch" me in some kind of lie.

Its a waste of time.

I love the busa, but I recognize the 12's capability. I am more honest than many people who just think the busa is the end all to motorcycling.

The busa is number "1" for a lot of reasons and its NUMBER ONE TO ME, also.

Talking about if its clearly faster in a straight line than the 12 with an equal rider on the streets is not what the fellow who started this thread asked about.

He was considering racing a stretched busa against a zx12r in the twisties, and that is just plain ridiculous, because even if the busa was NOT stretched, it would be at a disadvantage to the 12 in the twisties.

The fact that it is stretched is a no brainer. The busa will lose in that scenario for sure.

He wasn't going to race his bro's streched busa he was thinking about racing his own...and in that case I still think it all comes down the the rider.

Sorry about that post I thought you meant something else. Btw did you see the video?

He wasn't going to race his bro's streched busa he was thinking about racing his own...and in that case I still think it all comes down the the rider.

Sorry about that post I thought you meant something else. Btw did you see the video?
Yeah, I watched that video about 10 times or so over the last couple years.

I found it once by accident, watched it, and then forgot where it was...and then I finally loaded it onto my hard drive so I could watch it whenever I wanted.

It is pretty old, I wish they made more videos like it. You never see that kind of video here in america.

As far as that guy racing his own, - I thought he meant his brother's. But then after seeing him think his FZ1 would do a better job than the zx12, - I figured he really didnt know much about the 12 to make that statement, so I felt I had to share my experiences with both bikes even more so.

I know , Lets go to the strip and see how many Busas you see compared to 12s.??? The pros seem to like the busa better . Both good bikes But , I've NEVER seen an article in ANY mag that rates the 12 faster in the 1/4. I do believe rider makes all the differance when you are talking about bikes that are so close.

But then after seeing him think his FZ1 would do a better job than the zx12, - I figured he really didnt know much about the 12 to make that statement, so I felt I had to share my experiences with both bikes even more so.
i was on a ride today with a guy thats been riding for many more years then me. he was on his busa and i was on my fz1. we were on a fairly twisty road. most 20-30 mph posted corners with a couple of 10mph back to back corners up and down hill. i was right behind him the whole time and i was definetly caring more speed through the corners then he was. and like i said he is a better rider then me in my opinion. and for this guy i was talking about with the 12, i never even looked at his bike for all i know he was talkin $hit and has chicken strips that u would make u hungry
smile.gif

And for the record, I said if the riders knew their bikes equally, the 12 would beat the busa in the "twisties".  

I judge each bike individually, - not with blind loyalty to "my brand".
Damn I didn't think you could do it but you have actually made me LOL again.
laugh.gif

Actually I beleive you said "the zx12R will make it embarassing for the busa." this must be due to "the 12's more agressive sportier-oriented chassis", oh that's rich, what slice of insanity did you pull that qoute from?
rock.gif

These bikes are very close but the simple fact of the matter is the 12 was purpose built to beat the Busa and it never has, not in anything. However if one read your post they would think the 12 was stacked up against a scooter and not the Busa. Again I believe you said "the zx12R will make it embarassing for the busa." I fail to see with all things being equal riders, conditions etc, that this could be the case.

I don't have blind loyalty, just loyalty and it's been earned. I would love to meet you in the twisties, oh that would be fun! I guess we would both just be embarassed since we are on Busa's.

So WTF is a jigowatt generating ride or whatever it was you were pontificating on?
rock.gif

rock.gif

Back