You're not going nowhere near as fast as

grabntwist

The one who started it all
Donating Member
Registered
Just got my Garmin Venture GPS all mounted up to my stemstand courtesy of NinjaEater. Well heres my breakdown with stock gearing and just about stock rear wheel diameter.

indicated GPS

60 MPH 57.7 MPH
95 MPH 91.1 MPH
100 MPH 96.0 MPH
165 MPH 147.4 MPH
180 MPH 166.9 MPH

Im pretty sure my GPS was within 8'-12' accuracy at the time.
I now understand why my speedo pegs 185 around the middle of 5th gear. Also I'd like to add that the odometer is just about dead on. Not sure how that all works I thought the speedo and odo work off eachother. Guess not.

Ouch... guess I havent set a personal top speed record. On the speedo vs odo thing. Ive wondered the same.. I have dropped a gear up front and know my speedo is off .. but going by mileage markers my odo is bang on???

where can I get this GPS, I plan on changing my gearing around and would really like to know the true MPH the bike is going,,,,,,,whats the cost and where is the best place to buy it from?

where can I get this GPS, I plan on changing my gearing around and would really like to know the true MPH the bike is going,,,,,,,whats the cost and where is the best place to buy it from?
I think most all of the personal navigation gps units offer speed tracking... The basic Garmin eTrex does. It's around $80-$100 according to where you buy it and shows top speed, current speed and average speed if you set it up to do so. I got mine at the local Best Buy for $79 + tax...

Also check e-bay. I think mine lists for about 160.00 I bought it for a hundred on ebay.

With my Radio Shack Garmin Geko 101 GPS $85 [BT has a better deal there], I've discovered the odometer is off a little too, but not as bad as the speedo. I think it was 1 or 2 % off. Not much but it adds up. Don't forget to factor in surface, tread wear, tireslip, tire profile style or size, leaning turns, wind speed, the kitchen sink and sunspots while reaching for perfection. Close enough is good enough to me.

Also when top speeding, you gotta hold it for a couple seconds for the time distance updates, and always remember safe stopping distance

Remember that you have to be at a particular speed for probably at least a second or two for the GPS to be accurate (varies by model of course).

yea but if you look at the speedo when ur doing it who cares,looks good and u kno they will push 200mph with mods done
wink.gif

I have been using my Timex (wrist watch)-garmin and it is as accurate as my large model Garmin

Yeah, Thats why after pegging the needle in fifth she keeps pulling so hard for so long beyond. 166-189 takes a little while...

Back