Your thoughts on this - motorcycle carrier

IG.

Registered
I probably would leave the engine idling so that internal gears get lubricated.

Compared to me riding to the track, this would wear the rear tire less.

BTW, this requires Class 2 hitch, so this pretty much answers my question in the previous thread about what class receiver to chose -1 or 2.

LINK TO EBAY AUCTION WITH ALL DETAILS

7f6d_12.JPG

OK guys. You convinced me.

omslaw, the first one has max speed of 45 mph, and the 2nd one 55 mph. How fast people actually drive with them? The 2nd one looks really nice!

My buddy takes his at 70+ mph on the interstate. Heck, even rentals from Uhaul say not to exceed 45 mph. I think they put that there for liability. Just practice good maintenance, check/repack the wheel bearings at regular intervals and I think you'll be fine.

Thanks guys! Ordered Class 2 hitch receiver. Once installed, will be hunting for a used trailer. If not, will have to buy a new one. Will see.

omslaw, the first one has max speed of 45 mph, and the 2nd one 55 mph. How fast people actually drive with them? The 2nd one looks really nice!

My buddy takes his at 70+ mph on the interstate. Heck, even rentals from Uhaul say not to exceed 45 mph. I think they put that there for liability. Just practice good maintenance, check/repack the wheel bearings at regular intervals and I think you'll be fine.

Yeah, Uhaul does it partially for legal reasons...but it actually is also for the wheel bearings. The smaller the tire, the faster the bearings are rotating...and the more heat and abuse they will build up~!~

Will it fail, probably not...I towed a double jet ski trailer 900 miles to Fl, then back home and did finally have one fail after rolling almost 1800 miles doing 70-80 mph (out of four wheels) . This was an older 1980's trailer too so I;m sure the bearings had some age and needed attention anyway.

Anyway, thought I'd put in my opinion...I doubt it you'll have any trouble at highway speeds, but don't quote me on that (for liability reasons as discussed earlier)~!!~

This message is set to self destruct in 10, 9, 8 ...

Thanks guys! Ordered Class 2 hitch receiver. Once installed, will be hunting for a used trailer. If not, will have to buy a new one. Will see.

Good job...as I said in your other thread...better to have a bit too much than not enough~!~ :thumbsup:

I just bought a used snowmobile trailer and put a few wheel chocks on the thing.. no ramp needed and tows just fine.. (2 busa's not a problem)..

cost? $200-300 bucks..

It depends on the tire size what is a safe speed. For example, if you have 235x75x16 tiress on your tow vehicle and a trailer with 16.5x4.8x8 tires. When your tow vehicle is doing 65 MPH, your trailer is doing the equivalent of 120 MPH. Chances are the tires and bearings aren't going to hold up over long distances at that rate. The closer the diameter of the trailer tires are to the diameter of the tow vehicle tires, the closer they are to traveling to the same wheel speed.

I just bought a used snowmobile trailer and put a few wheel chocks on the thing.. no ramp needed and tows just fine.. (2 busa's not a problem)..

cost? $200-300 bucks..

Pictures? What do you mean no ramp needed?

Mine looks just like this, tho my ramp is longer. Paid $800 at a local Truck Options store. Hauled my HD to Canada and back doing 75-80mph with no issues. Also picked up my Busa in NJ with it. I'm sure you could find a used one for $300-400.

with%20ramp.JPG

Back