Your opinion on this story posted in another MC forum?

Turbo-Torch

Donating Member
Registered
On another bike forum (not Busa related) a guy posted a Craigslist pic of a father taking his small son for a ride on the gas tank of a motorcycle.
Some thought it was dangerous and others thought it was an innocent 10 mph ride through a quiet neighborhood.

One guy wrote his own story about taking his kid on the gas tank and how he'll do the same with his grandchildren. At first I thought it was a joke, but he's dead serious and has taken great offense at a few people calling him out on it.
As sort of a 3rd party, what are your thoughts on his post?

I think a few of you are what you called that guy, and worse.

My kids always rode in front with me, all three of them, from as soon as they could.

You want a story from way back when, well, you're getting it anyway, like it or not.

When my oldest was my youngest, I had a GS1100ET. Vance and Hines header, a few mods, it was pretty darn quick for the time.

My son was just old enough to talk, 3 years old I think, and we used to ride all the time. I liked him (and my other kids) in front, as it gives you a lot more control over them, works very well.

Anyway, one night, my son and I were on the Business Loop in Columbia, Missouri and we were at a stop light. A car pulls up next to us, I heard the exhaust, obviously cammed and far from stock.

Little Zaco yelled to me "Daddy Daddy Daddy RACE THAT CAR RACE THAT CAR!!!!" so we did -

We launched hard, and the car surprised me with it's launch, this was going to be more of a race than I imagined - the bike wheelied in first hard, hard enough i had to back off a bit, but I had to roll back into it to avoid defeat - I heard Zaco yelling something, too late for that -

We were headed slightly to the right and toward the curb as we cleared the intersection, I banged second while still in the first gear wheelie and pulled it back straighter - close race, we were slowly moving ahead - holy cow, what did that car have under the hood?

I banged third and the front wheel lowered, we won - Zac was still yelling something, we hit 90 or so (in a 35) and it was time to "shut 'er down".

When we slowed enough, I was able to listen to what little Zacky was babbling -

"DADDY DADDY DADDY DON'T DO THAT AGAIN"

Hahahaha, that was fun, we still talk about that race.

All my kids rode in front, and I guarantee you my grandkids will as well.

Those that disagree with my choice, well, to be honest, maybe you should not be riding motorcycles yourselves, especially if you have that little confidence in your ability to ride.

And that is how I see it.

What this idiot is describing is not an innocent 10mph roll around the block. And it certainly has nothing to do with how much or how little confidence and skill a rider has. You cannot control anything surrounding you, it is that inability to control one's environment that makes it dangerous, NOT riding skill. Why do you think it is required by law that kids have to be strapped into car seats, do you believe nobody has any driving skills either?

Last edited:
I would not presume to tell anyone what they could or could not do with their kids.. But if the guy is qualified to ride a bike like that and not some dumbazz with very little skill? why the heck not?

Kids are way too sheltered and frankly I think some danger is good for anyone.. I used to run home from school and do my chores just so I could drive the car.. (no homework in the 5th grade).. I could drive a stick well enough to drag race by the 6th grade..

I would not presume to tell anyone what they could or could not do with their kids.. But if the guy is qualified to ride a bike like that and not some dumbazz with very little skill? why the heck not?

Kids are way too sheltered and frankly I think some danger is good for anyone.. I used to run home from school and do my chores just so I could drive the car.. (no homework in the 5th grade).. I could drive a stick well enough to drag race by the 6th grade..

+111111

Id do it, done it, my dad used to do it, I fell once, so be it...as long as its not somewhere busy, heck around the neighborhood, ive taken my grandma when she was alive and yes..no Helmet on ME, so what it was barely 10MPH.. closed neighborhood.....little joy ride...why not.....

You're not normal :laugh:

Last edited:
I have a good friend that rides his little girl on the tank. He talks about how he would worry at times because she would fall asleep on the tank some times. He doesn't take her out that often and she has full gear, helmet, one piece leathers, and boots.

I disagree with what he does, but I would never argue with him about it. I have told him on one occasion that I felt it was dangerous. This individual has been riding bikes a long time and does have a good amount of skills, and rides with a great deal of caution.

I just think it's far to dangerous. Kids today might be over protected. My kids have only been to the ER a few times, my oldest never for an injury. On the other hand I was a weekend visitor as a kid. I often worried about my kids growing up and not being able to cross the street without someone holding their hand. It's been some years since any of them lived at home and they seem to be making it.

out of necessity, my Dad used to ferry us (3 sons and wife) on a small 125cc bike: youngest on gas tank, Dad, middle son, Mom and me on luggage rack.

This isn't so much about any guy taking his kid for a 10 mph ride on a motorcycle.

Bragging about drag racing a car through city streets at 90 mph in a 35 while his 3 year old son was on the gas tank seems a bit off to me....ok it seems a lot off to me and it makes me cringe to think his grandkids may be next in line for a thrill ride.

I would give a kid a ride on a quiet street. But no way am I going to race.

Def no fooling around "Michael Jackson" ing the kid. Crock hunter started with his kids, never finished though....

Back