Your favorite Kevin memory?

with Kevin, there is no best memory. he was truly an amazing person to be around. from offering up his help on the hill to just shottin the **** around the pit, he never let anyone feel left out. he was a great man with many great stories, he could ride the wheels off of a motorcycle, and he was waaaaaaay kind! we are going to miss you Kevin! may you rest in peace and lay down some serious "sparkies" on the fine roads of heaven!!!

2007 late at night and sitting around the firepit, I lowsided a chair and my closest ORG friends were there to see it, MC_Mustang, Omslaw, GSXcite, Gixerhp and of course VMAN1300.... Kevin spit licorace out and I thought he was going to fall out of his chair because he was laughing so hard when I fell out of mine. That long discussion that night led us to the wet spot in the chair.

Looking back at my embarrassing moment I wouldn't give that hour long laugh up for anything.... Kevin was a part of that great night, I have that memory an no one can take it...

There are so many great memories with Kevin... One was at the '08 Spring Bash, everyone was running the sweeper on Hwy 28. I had just made a pass and was turning around. Kevin pulls in front of me, looks at me and taps the tail of his bike and motions me to follow... I understood what he wanted; he wanted me to stick close so he could watch my form. We made a few passes and at the end, he came up to me, praising me on my technique...told me that I just need to keep doing what I'm doing... That meant a lot coming from him...I will always remember that day... That's what he loved doing...loved to share his love of riding with everyone!

Sat-dam 137 [800x600].JPG

Sat-dam 151 [800x600].JPG

Sat-dam 137 [800x600].JPG

Sat-dam 151 [800x600].JPG

Last edited:
Kevin's sig line

"In our darkest hour...we look to the sky. With a silent prayer...BELIEVE God's on our side. In the land where FREEDOM reigns...and where eagles fly."

I've always thought his sig line to be awesome because he didn't just have it as a nifty sig line. He lived it.

Last edited:
Seems a bit ironic that his last post here was about his "Sparky knee sliders" :thumbsup:

Fall Bash '08...you knew he had to be exhausted and hurting, but he was there riding with everyone and making sure we all were enjoying ourselves.

My favorite, though, was watching he and Brenda together. I could see how much they meant to each other. It was bittersweet - seeing thier great love but knowing the pain they were dealing with together.

My favorite memory of Kevin was at last year's spring bash .

We had just finished a ride on the Dragon and were out at the lookout.

I was riding with my BandofRiders.net group and Kevin was there taking a break up on the wall.

He knew me right off and greeted our group with a warm welcome.

After 15 minutes of BSing around it was time to mount up and make the last run of the day back to the CROT.

Now these guys I ride with are a bunch of knee dragging,track day, race junkies that just live for sparks coming off ti knee sliders.

So we all mount up and Vman just blows them away in a trail of sparks back to the CROT.

I have been catching crap from these guys for years about the inabilities and pitfalls of the Busa and Kevin laid those all to rest after that one run and they havent picked on me or a Busa since.

So Kevin I will forever be in your debt, for showing the other guys on the 600's and such just what a Busa is capable of in the right hands.

Godspeed my friend.

Spring Bash last year when we presented Kevin with the "Gold" event pin that was lost by me or Captain.. anyway, I think the tear he shed was one of a humble man with lots of love for everyone...

Am really glad we got to publicly recognize him for being the type of person Bash is all about.. it was only a tiny pin but the meaning behind it was giant.. :beerchug:

I didn't know Kevin as well as most of you, but I will always remember the first time we met and he saw my ST-1300 with the custom paint that tells about my faith and how it helped me through my crash. Kevin began glorifying God and made it clear that he loves the Lord and because of that, I know where he is now and that I will see him again.

In my opinion, there's no better memory that someone can leave with a friend or loved one.

This is my wife, Kevin's sister's thread and I have to post my greatest memory of Kevin. She doesn't know that I am doing this so this may be a surprise to her.
My former ex had always told me anytime I was caught looking at motorcycles, " You better hope that thing comes with a wife." This was because of a motorcycle wreck I had been in in 1982. I met Katslair in April of 2000. Katslair caught me looking at motorcycles on the internet one night and her response was "If you want one, go out and get it." Well, I am a cruiser kind of fellow, not a knee-dragger. Being off the next day from work I started my search but wasn't having any luck. She sent me to MR Honda and told me to see her brother about one. Well to make a long story short, I walked in and within hours, with Kevin's help, I rode out of there with my brand new 2000 Vulcan Nomad 1500 at an unbelievable deal. So my greatest memory of Kevin is him putting both me and his sister in the wind. For me it had been 18 years and 14 for his sister. Oh, by the way, his sister had only ridden Harleys prior to this and his comment to her, " If I had told you 5 years ago that you would be riding rice, you would have beaten me up." 9 years and over 75,000 miles later we are still riding the Vulcan, but there is a Harley in the garage too. :thumbsup:

I had the pleasure of meeting Kevin at my First Spring Bash in 2007. Super great Guy, I spoke to him many times on the phone ordered parts, I rode with him a few time sometimes with His Busa and somethime with his R1 LOL. Kevin thought is was a kick showing up at the Bash with the R1, and showing up at the Yamaha meets on the Busa. Followed Kevin Through the Gap and Learned alot watching him Ride, and getting tips. Kevin will be Missed by myself and Many people he came in contact with Riding.

Loomis.

Here a Pic of Kevin on the Right speaking to Ozzy, and some other rides.

P1010095.jpg

I spent many hours in the corner with Kevin and PD. I'll never forget all the times I was tossed under the bus by these two. Kevin never met a stranger, especially at the Gap. I showed up at my first Bash because of Kevin's encouragement.

Love you brother. I'll be looking for you again one of these days so you can show me the roads and give me hints on the best lines around those new curves.

2007 late at night and sitting around the firepit, I lowsided a chair and my closest ORG friends were there to see it, MC_Mustang, Omslaw, GSXcite, Gixerhp and of course VMAN1300.... Kevin spit licorace out and I thought he was going to fall out of his chair because he was laughing so hard when I fell out of mine. That long discussion that night led us to the wet spot in the chair.

Looking back at my embarrassing moment I wouldn't give that hour long laugh up for anything.... Kevin was a part of that great night, I have that memory an no one can take it...

Hey now, you had one more witness to the low side and wet spot incident as well!!! That was one of my best memories as well as hiding pink shirts under our shirts and smuggling them in and out of a motel room. Watching him almost biff it off the back of a truck and recovering in only a Vman fashion.

I will miss him but he was one of those kind of guys that lived life to the fullest and was able to touch everyone he met. He was always full of positive energy and could make any situation a moment to remember. Ride on Brother with gods speed and I am so glad to have know you!!!

I would like to take you guys back about 30 years or so.

Kevin, Kat(our sister) & I were riding down I-26(in my rag top jeep with the doors off) as we apporached the Asheville airport, Kevin looked over at us an said; "Keith you hold one door out, Kat you hold the other door out an I'll get on the radio with the tower for landing instructions."

I have laughed many times to tears over this one special moment with Kevin.

For those who know me an those who don't ( I am Keith; Kevin-vman1300s' Brother).

I am planning to do a Memorial Slideshow on Kevin, I would like to ask that any of you who would like to donate or share photos' feel free to do so. They can be sent to keikel2@earthlink.net Please let me know where the photo was taken an who you are. Thanx, Keith Varner & Family

There are so many, but when he came to visit me last July 4 tops the list:beerchug:

Ray, I just wanted to let you know how happy he was after that weekend. He thought the world of you for letting people come out and hang out with you at your place. We talked about that a few times.

The look in his eyes, and the smile on his face when I handed him the key to my new bike at the '08 Spring Bash...HWY28...

Another thing I remember talking to him about, even caught him looking really close at one right after.

....Kevin's refusal to admit that big 80's hair bands are out....

....His love of "ninja edits" and making it a mission on the oRg for a chuckle :laugh:

I don't know how many of you all know this but that's what we have listened to at work for the past year that I have been here, Kevin and I got quite a few laughs at the ninja edits.

My best memory of him is that over the years, through all the challenges he and others have faced, he was always the same Kevin. He never seemed to be visibly upset, was always smiling, had the most positive attitude and was ALWAYS there to help or offer encouragement to others, even those he had met 5mins earlier. A man that was extremely comfortable in his own skin and would put you at ease moments after talking to him. His dedication to his friends and his faith were things that he embraced and shared openly with others around him. He never waivered in those actions or emotions even in the face of a terminal illness. He was a great man and I feel honored to have known him. :bowdown:

*Have to add, this image of Kevin nails it and has been seen day after day at each and every event he has been a part of :thumbsup:
135039d1238083957-your-favorite-kevin-memory-marty_4-28-06_pics-012.jpg

Not only is that what I was planning on saying but you managed it much better then I would have. Seeing him at work in pain in the morning and still mustering a smile and a "how was your weekend" was inspiring.

Back