You'll kill yourself on that thing

Tiresmoke

Registered
So everyone who knows I'm picking up a shiny new Hayabusa this weekend has started in on me with the "you'll kill yourself on that deathtrap" mantra. And these are just my friends... I'm not even telling my family because I'd rather not have to get into *that* argument YET AGAIN with them.
poke.gif

How do you folks deal with it?

"No, but some idiot in an SUV sucking on a McNugget, mumbling into their cell, glazing at their DVD player, and groving back and forth across their lane to their favorite MP3's may HELP me to my heavenly peace."

Bikes ARE more dangerous to use than cars, after all, but if you've got your experience and are careful you will have a good time and be perfectly safe -- unless one of our fellow motorists ruins your day, but that's another issue.

How about this: "You have no idea what you're talking about. I have gotten good training/had lots of experience, and am otherwise a careful dude. Bad stuff can happen, but that's life. Just line up for your pillion ride when you're ready."

I hear ya. Even worse, last week I lost two family member in an auto accident. I plan on parking mine in the front room, setting cushions in front of it, and buying a couch cover and covering it up. This way my mother will just think its a really uncomfortable couch.
my mother >>
cussing.gif

The Wife had ridden with me enough to know that I am good enough to survive.
Mom says, Hrmmm....
Dad says, .........
Uncle says, COOL!!!
Friends say about damn time...
Co-workers....them ignorant jackals....they were the "your going to kill yourself" crowd....

I liked to answer with a "maybe, but at least I will actually live." "Not shuffle through life avoiding the things I love because I'm skeered." "Now take your bloated ignorant ass, get back in you f'n SUV or your little Volvo, and shut the hell up about things you know nothing about."

Ask them if they ride, or have ever ridden, or are just so programed to accept the information spoon fed to them by the media that have become unable to think an original thought... Then tell them to go to there safe little homes, in their boring assed cars, kiss their boring ass wife on the cheek, and shut the F up... Besides, more folk are killed in the shower or die on the pot than on motorcycles... Remind them that Everyone dies... Not everyone trully lives...

I pretty much deal with it the way I told my wife about the bike and future damages.

I told her I am goiing to do mods, I am probably going to drop it or wreck it, and when I do I will fix it..

I told her I have my camaro for transportation, my truck is for hauling stuff (like the boat, dump runs) and my Busa... pure fun.. and because it is fun, I will push the envelope and some times that envelope is going to tear.

Life is too fricken short to be walking on the tip toes and living it to safe.

Just about everytime I hear of someone at the end of their life reflect on their life, people very seldom comment on regretting what they have done in life, most of the time they regrett what they NEVER did.

$hit is going to happen, all of us is going to die eventually, might as well have fun beofre that happens.

I like Ninja eater's response...Ride safe and prove them all wrong..that is what I have done for years..I'm knocking on wood as we speak..

I didn't tell anyone until I was on my way home from the dealership with my brand new busa in the back of my truck. I would've waited longer, but I needed help unloading it...

devil.gif

I usually point out all of the accidents I know of that were the fault of a cager...doesn't really give everyone a warm fuzzy feeling, but it's pretty much the truth...shows it's not necessarily the bike that kills the rider...

I do have a family member that hasn't spoken to me since he saw me riding my busa back in October...his brother was killed on his Honda CBR and so I know my riding hits close to home...I tried to respect that when he tore in to me about buying the Busa, that I'll wreck, that he knows of a girl that broke her neck on a road I travel on everyday...etc, you get the point...I took the hits, then finally had to point out that his brother died because he was drinking, racing and running from the cops that fateful night...

Other than that one person, I'm holding my own by doing exactly what NE said...ride safe and prove them wrong...stick around to tell everyone to stick it when they're judgmental...best you can do...

A coworker said that he's always viewed the Busa as kind of like "Christine"... everything starts off fine, but eventually it makes you do evil things that you otherwise wouldn't do.

LOL

A coworker said that he's always viewed the Busa as kind of like "Christine"... everything starts off fine, but eventually it makes you do evil things that you otherwise wouldn't do.  

LOL
Ok, that part is TRUE!
wink.gif

I've heard all that "you're gonna die" crap. My usual response is, "Well, it ain't like I sell candy to children for a livin'!". I don't know what you do for a livin' there tiresmoker, so that might not work for you. Works for me, though.
laugh.gif

you know it's funny, none of my friends or family give me any flack at all about my bike .. My mom doesn't love the idea of me having it, but she doesn't voice her opinion about it ...

When I die, I hope I go like grandpa, in my sleep. Not screaming in absolute fear like the passenger in his sidecar. (Shamelessly stolen from a BMW T-shirt) When I say that, the complainers usually just shut up and go away.

<!--EDIT|gararnett
Reason for Edit: None given...|1077740501 -->

I still haven't told my mother; I would never heard the end of it... She would drive me nuts everytime I see her, so I am feeling you bro...

Cloud

When I die, I hope I go like grandpa, in my sleep. Not screaming in absolute fear like the passenger in his sidecar. (Shamelessly stolen from a BMW T-shirt) When I say that, the complainers usually just shut up and go away.

Man that was too funny, made my day, obviously I had not heard it before.  I am going to remember that.

I have ridden for over 20 years, so do not get any real flak from any family members. People I meet usually think it is crazy, I just tell them that now they know a biker and need to be more careful when they are driving, cause the next biker they hit may be ME.
It usually makes them stop and think a bit.  Most accidents are the cagers fault, but that does not make it hurt any less.

STAY AWAY from the booze and really late nights when riding and do not ride when you don't "feel" like riding

Ride safe and expect the unexpected, prove all the family wrong.

Ride safe  
eyes.gif

i only heard flack one time.when my brother crashed his kawi, i showed up at the hospitol on my busa helmet in hand .BAD MOVE even at 41 years old got yelled at bye everyone even the lady who mops the blood up gave me shiet.

<!--EDIT|rob t
Reason for Edit: None given...|1077665224 -->

OOOOOOOOOO    I HATE THAT when they say that to me i tell them to go kill themselves and im serious thats is the stupidest thing that could come out of some ones mouth  i am a firm believer in the power of positive thinking
mad.gif

<!--EDIT|orangebusa??
Reason for Edit: None given...|1077667058 -->

I remember my first street bike back when I had just moved out of my parents house...even though I had ridden dirts for years, Mom hated the street bike. So when they came to visit, i threw a tarp over it and told Mom it was a planter box and I was protecting the plants from frost.

I still feel pangs of guilt for fibbing to my Mom, but I'll never give up riding. You are as safe as you choose to be..... and dwelling on what "might" happen could lead one to live life locked in a steel room, which I choose not to do.

just my .02.....

I heard that same line when I got my Pilot's certificate. "You're going to kill yourself in that thing!"

My mother totally freaked, but I had to remind her that I am a grown A$$ man.
biggrin.gif
She never said a word about the motorcycles except to tell not to get killed riding that thing.

Back