You won't believe what just happened!

ALLshow.NOgo

Registered
LESSON TO BE LEARNED:
I am ok except for a tiny tiny bruise/rash on my hip. WEAR YOUR GEAR I don't care if you are just going to the corner store WEAR YOUR GEAR. Even last night I went to the store like 2 mins away without ANY gear!! There are such things as accidents for a reason.

GEARED UP:
My gear WAS an HJC helmet (it took a hit so its not stable anymore) , joe rocket phoenix 2.0 jacket, and phenoix gloves

WHAT HAPPENED
At a stop light there are 3 lanes. 1. Turn only (I am in) 2. Turn/straight 3. Straight. The turning point is not for another stoplight just ahead. Light turns green, I am behind this nice Stingray corvette in lane 1. Suburban first, then green car in lane 2. Cruiser and more cars in lane 3.

We roll through the light. Green car in lane 2. moves to lane 3. I double take behind me then proceed to lane 2. Now I am behind the Suburban. She drifts into lane 3. and as she does she I continue to go straight and all of a sudden she slows and tries to turn left RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! I grab my front brake lever and attempt to steer right to avoid her. I succeed and then come crashing down to the left side.

FLASHBACK:
All I remember is grabbing the hell out of the brake at the same time thinking OH ####, WHAT THE F---, WHAT THE H--- IS GOING ON! I definately remember the back of my helmet hitting the pavement with force then immediately thinking I am glad I wore my helmet and wore it strapped as I shortly tumbled ( I get lazy and MOST of the time I leave the helmet unstrapped because I only usually travel short distances, but on long trips I have it strapped because on high speeds it tends to get sucked off) But even thought I was only going to be less than 1min away from the crash site, I just happened to strap it.

AFTER THE BIG HIT:
With all fluids and Full gas tank I actually lifted the bike up from its side the handle bars halfway the first thrust then fully up the next try. I can't believe how easy and fast it came up from that method. The guy in the stingray was very cool, he saw the whole thing and is a witness if needed. He took our information. It turns out that her left blinker is faulty, it was not on when her hazard lights were on but still it did not agree as to how she drove. She drifted into the right lane, then attempted to make a WIDEEEEEEE TURN like she was undecided.

DAMAGE:
So far coolant was on the ground just a little little bit, then oil started to drip aswell. The left side black 'cover' ( I actually do not even know what it is) is abraised allow a small drip of oil to leak from it, that where the oil is coming from, the only spot. Coolant was not found other than the crash spot so only that cover that has oil comming out. The left mirror is busted. Upper fairing is very lightly rashed on the corner, left fairing is very lightly rashed on the edges, and the rear fairing is lightly rashed under the GSXR1300 sticker. The left pipe is hit at the beginning and the end of the can. The clutch lever is bent down and ball is snapped off. That seems to be the only damage. Not that expensive at all, a project I can most likely do. I have NO front brakes. They make noise and slow the bike down at speed and free play on the lever even though it springs back. Fairings being rashed means NOTHING to me, as it needed to be sanded down and painted due to the right side fairing, right upper and ride side fender in very smalls spots had be 'rubbed' the paint off due to things packed around the bike in transportation. I should have it fixed in less than 2weeks. She starts up and drives straight, and fine except for the front brakes seems to be 'collapsed' cause slight friction.

VERY LUCKY:
For sake of the police officers that were at the scene, lets just say I am one LUCKY SOB as to how all this was handled and it will make you thing TWICE about stereotyping cops in general. Typically someone in my position would have been soooo far from having a great day. :-)

AFTER THOUGHT:
If it were to be someones fault, it were to be the lady driver of the surburban because of her driving and her faulty lights. I am not really blaming her, as I did totally nothing wrong, but just considering it what it was, an accident.

LESSON LEARNED REVISITED:
Most of us have gear of somesort. Wear it, you'd be thanking you did if you would get into an accident of some sort. Now what I have to do is think of what color she will be painted when the time comes. First thought, I am thinking of full graphite color from my 03 model with chrome decals from ebay.

Thanks all for your time!

Bummer, and I dont want to rub it in but hopefully you got at least something from it besides you are happy you had some gear on.
smile.gif

sounds like oil is comming from yer stator cover...no big deal man. Get a cool billet one, or a nice polished 1...

so she didnt hit you but she stopped anyway? You did luck out they usually keep going from what i hear.

wow thanks, fast replies btw. The front brake problem is as follows. I can hear the sound that appears from breaks being wore out, and is touching metal on metal. This happens and the bike is in motion. I suspect the calipers are off centered and depressed as upon coasting, its slows the bike down. There is also no tension in the brake lever.

I will order a stator cover off ebay then. I must have grabbed with the strength of 10 men when I grabbed the brake, I will inspect further tomorrow

wow thanks, fast replies btw. The front brake problem is as follows.  I can hear the sound that appears from breaks being wore out, and is touching metal on metal. This happens and the bike is in motion. I suspect the calipers are off centered and depressed as upon coasting, its slows the bike down. There is also no tension in the brake lever.
OK...

sounds like perhaps the fork uppers have been twisted in the trees. lossening the bolts in the trees and straightening the forks should take care of the noise prob...unless something got bent...upper,or a stansion tube,or a ...

The missing tension... I'm guessing you mean there is no pressure at the lever? Sounds like, when the bike was laid over ,air entered the system , unless there is other damage to the system(check her over for leaks at the master/hoses/calipers) a simple bleed should get the brakes back. Yer scooter went down on its left side, which , if fluid was a bit low,would expose the hole in the bottom of the master[the hole is on the right side] which allowed air to enter the system.

hav a good 1...RSD.

Glad your OK, any word if her insurance is going to be picking up the tab on this?
RSD is right as far as the gasket is concerned, 36 bucks for a stator gasket is a lil to much. Either way just glad that your OK

Glad your ok!!

... have good riding gear is very important!! I put on my helmet, my gloves and my jacket every time I take out elenor... no matter what the distance is! I need to get myself a leather pant now... thinking of getting one custom made
biggrin.gif

That's sounds very typical of the SHID that happens around here. I wish the cops would crack down on the cars that never signal, YACK on cell phones and basically drive like AZZHOLESS

Glad you are OK and are here to tell about it.

Back