Yoshimura pipes rusting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gixx1300R

Registered
4 guys that I know(GSX1300R,R6,ZX9,CBR900RR) recently purchased Yosh exhaust systems only to have then start having rust spots start shortly after purchase.One guy even had Yosh replace the exhaust system with a new one only to have it start to rust also.The rust looks like dark discoloration on the header pipes.Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Are you located close to salt water? I know I can take a bike to Myrtle Beach and it will get more corrosion on it in 3-4 days than it will where I live in a year.

Do you only have the mild steel headers?? Mine "spot" rusted alway, lots of moisture I guess..

I would recommend going with the stainless steel headers next time.

Well I've been running a full yosh rs-3 system with an aluminum can and nickle plated steel headers, no problems. I ride daily, and here in Eugene that meens daily RAIN 6 months of the year. Never had a hint of rust and it still shines up like new. After a year with Yosh, I am very pleased and would consider purchasing nickle plated steel headers in the future, if you are on a tight budget. Of coarse "STAINLESS" would be preferred, or better yet a full Titanium system.

Personally I'm on my fifth Yoshimura system. And I'm very pleased with the quality. I have a couple of buddys that have Jet Hot coating on their exhaust's with equally good results. The coating is pretty reasonable and comes in black silver and gold and can dress up the bike as well as protect the pipes.

I have a Yoshimura R-77 4>2>1 system on my 08. After a couple of months from new, there's rust on the small suspension springs and on their corresponding semi-circular attachment mountings on the pipe itself just before it meets the carbon fibre can. I complained to Yoshi and they're sending me out a new set of springs, but say they will rust like the old ones anyway.

After shelling out £600+ GBP on this system, I find it hard to believe I have to worry about parts of it rusting. Anyone else got this problem? I'm not at all mechanical, and also wonder how best to deal with the problem.

Thanks!

Pic of above even after cleaning with Vaseline and toothbrush:

yoshi-springs.jpg

Pic of above even after cleaning with Vaseline and toothbrush:

I havent really looked at mine, but have not noticed any rust either.

You could email Yosh customer service and they would probably send you more.

I havent really looked at mine, but have not noticed any rust either.

You could email Yosh customer service and they would probably send you more.
See my previous post. They are sending me out a new set but say they will rust as well :banghead:

Probably rusts because I live in the quagmire called the UK, and near the sea too where tungsten balls rust in minutes. I was here today. Orcombe Point at Exmouth. Yoshi, sand, salt and sea water. Great combination.

9dec09-exmouth-busa-2.jpg

Another TEN year old thread :whistle:
That's a useful comment. What's the age of the thread got to do with it? Normal forum manners dictate that it's probably best to search a topic and reply to it rather than start a fresh one, if possible. Am I right, or am I right?

Probably rusts because I live in the quagmire called the UK, and near the sea too where tungsten balls rust in minutes. I was here today. Orcombe Point at Exmouth. Yoshi, sand, salt and sea water. Great combination.

it could be the area, but do you have other parts that rust up quickly? Too bad there is not a simple coating to put on tehm to keep them safe.

That's a useful comment. What's the age of the thread got to do with it? Normal forum manners dictate that it's probably best to search a topic and reply to it rather than start a fresh one, if possible. Am I right, or am I right?

In ten years, the product line has change, materials used, and even company polices can change dramatically...

Before opening a thread (especially a DINOSAUR) there is the date when the thread was started...a thread so old, may not be viewed by all members.

By :bump: ing such a old thread...your question may never get answered.

it could be the area, but do you have other parts that rust up quickly? Too bad there is not a simple coating to put on tehm to keep them safe.
I don't have a spot of rust on the bike other than on the Yoshi. I'm going to keep the new Yoshi springs coated in Vaseline when I fit them.

In ten years, the product line has change, materials used, and even company polices can change dramatically...

Before opening a thread (especially a DINOSAUR) there is the date when the thread was started...a thread so old, may not be viewed by all members.

By :bump: ing such a old thread...your question may never get answered.
Thanks for the insight. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back