Yosh Box vs. Power Commander test rides

OB_Bob

Registered
This post kinda goes hand in hand with my post in "DynoCharts" in this forum.

I have posted elsewhere on this site that I have experienced a hicup, hesitation, glitch, etc. with my busa. It occured at idle and mainly below 3000 rpm. I KNOW WHAT IT WAS. Putting the throttle blades in sync. certanily helped this bikes responsiveness. But, the problem is the power commander I have. I assume it is only this one since no one else has posted anything about it. I know cbxchris had a start problem with his when connected and they replaced or fixed it.

Anyway, after the dyno runs Thursday, I drove out of there with the Yosh Box settings only. +10, +5, 0. +10 was placed on the L setting because with +5, although good on DYNO(wide open), it felt crappy between 1800 rpm-2500rpm. This was driven for about 70 miles. it was OK as long as you were 1/4 throttle or more every where you went.
Went to +5,+5,0, which gave the best peak HP on the DYNO and drove for 120 miles. Still not so good down low.
One other thing I noticed was that my TPS needed to be adjusted again after placing the throttle blades in sync., which makes perfect sense because my outer plates were adjusted to sync. them. This was done before the testing.
Today i switched back to the power commander again.
The power commander settings were left very close to their .003 map, which is for the Micron system and stock airbox. I changed a few settings on the low map at 1500/2000 rpm at 2% and 5% tables. this was because of the airbox mod and to help with the low rpm response.
Rode on a Poker Run today, 105 miles total. Power Commander definitely feels stronger in the midrange. This is the range I use most. For those of you who drive the majority of the time up high (8000-11000 rpm) you won't care much. But, I drive the majority (80%) of the time off idle through midrange (2000-7000 rpm) I want to improve my chances to stay out of jail and alive. God I'm getting old(36yrs).

The TWITCH came back within 5 miles of leaving my garage. I did remove the PC2 once before briefly, the problem is without the ability to change the map the bike runs terrible with the pipe only. So I only tried it quickly round the block.
The PC2 will go back to DynoJet in hopes they will send me a new one. It does it enough to be annoying and when it does it a couple times in a row the bike hesitates and the bike will buck.
The 5hp in the midrange shown on the dyno definitely can be felt. The power delivery is smoother also. No lag at low rpm!! I hope it is only this one, because i want the PC2. DynoJet put alot of time into the settings on a load-step DYNO. This means every throttle position versus rpm setting could be analyzed, and you can tell on the street!
The Yosh's pluses are that you can tune the idle mixture cylinder by cylinder, and the difference in idle is slightly better for the Yosh. You can feel this improvement off throttle also. It is also fast!! Because available changes are few -10--+10, Low,Med, High. If I owned a shop I would have one. I would charge the customers a fee they would be happy to pay and make a change in 10 minutes. Quick $50-$125? for the TL's, GSXR750's and Busa's. I don't know, what have people paid?
YOSH PLUSES
1. quick changes
2. writes into your ECM
3. Can do more than one bike.
4. Great idle adj.
NEGATIVES
1. Expensive--$350+
2. Not that flexible-limited settings available.
POWER COMMANDER 2-PLUSES
1. Flexible-could increase fuel where you want to and be very accurate.
2. Reasonable $300 or less.
3. Maps files can be shared and e-mailed.
4. A good map exists from DynoJet for the Micron. Probably would work well on other pipes also.
Negatives
1. Stays on bike one commander per bike

If they can't remedy my twitch that will be the mother of all negatives.
I will update this after the Superflow DYNO work.
Bob

Great info Bob,

FYI, I have not had any problems with my PC2 using either your 003-rev1 map or the standard Micron map - but that's only with 500mi of seat time....

Hope Dynojet gets your problem taken care of. lemme know what they find.

Rob

Bob,

We had the same problem with our 750 race bike, big stumble down low. Most other 750 teams had the same thing. The factory boys did a bunch of dyno runs to take care of the problem, we went back to the yosh box and tuned it out after a few attempts.

Nice thing about the yosh box for us was the ability to tune on the hot pits, takes only a few seconds to zap the eprom and get back racing.

Bob, today nice cool weather bike is still on Yosh box settings. Everything is running fine then I nail it and at about 6500-7000 rpm major stumble and bog, stumble and bog then I let it idle down and it comes back running fine. Stock filter Yosh pipe. Maybe it is with the cut out fix to find the cause. PCII still in the box waiting for the cut out cure first.

Back