Yikes! New B-king died on the freeway

nionionio

Registered
Hey all,

Just got a new B-king a couple of days ago. The first 90 miles were great. But today, I was out on the freeway, I noticed the ABS light was on. I couldn't remember if it was normally on, but I did notice it, but didn't think anything of it.

Then a mile or so later, the gauges went out (needle dropped, no indicators at all). I check my throttle and it feels weird but the bike is still running (not smooth acceleration, more like on or off, jerky). Then the engine dies. I pull over. Turn the bike off. Wait a few seconds. Turn the bike on, try to start it. It won't start. I get a click, click, click for a few seconds, then it won't even do that. Turned it off. Turned it on. At this point, any button I push (hazard lights, Info, etc.) cause the bike to re-initialize every time I push the button (the needle swoops, the logo comes on).

Fortunately, I was only a few hundred feet from an off-ramp and I was able to push-start the bike on that in order to get home. Once it came to life, the FI light was on, and the throttle was jerky (either on or off, not smooth) and the idle was very rough. It felt like the engine was going to sputter and die if I let it idle fully at a light. I got her home and now she won't start. WTF? Bad battery? Aren't they supposed to recharge while riding?

Any ideas? PS. No mods yet.

-J

check your battery connections.... an often overlooked mistake by the dealers.
if good, then check to see that the battery itself is normal.

If the battery is good, take it back to the dealer, should be under warranty.

Checked the battery connections, all good. Checked the battery with a multimeter, it's giving me 12v. I put it on a Battery Tender for a couple hours and it started. But only once. Shouldn't the battery get charged as I ride the bike? If it is the battery, I wonder if I can get a new one out of the dealer (out of state)...

Checked the battery connections, all good. Checked the battery with a multimeter, it's giving me 12v. I put it on a Battery Tender for a couple hours and it started. But only once. Shouldn't the battery get charged as I ride the bike? If it is the battery, I wonder if I can get a new one out of the dealer (out of state)...

If it is the battery it should still be under warrainty at any Suzuki dealership not just the one you bought the bike from. I know my Harley had a bad battery and my local Harley dealership replaced it for free so I hope Suzuki would do the same thing.

I would get the charging system checked out at your local dealer though just to make sure everything is okay.

Update: Just put a multimeter on the battery while it was running. 12V. Cranked the throttle up to 4K and the voltage quickly dropped. The voltage should increase if the rectifier and the stator are functioning. It's sounding like the rectifier to me. Damn it, I want to ride, ride, ride my new King!!! I guess I'll have to take the Magna out.

:welcome: to the org. sorry to hear about the problems.

Back