(yet another) new Helmet and Review

PandaNin

Donating Member
Registered
I love getting boxes of unknown stuff in the mail. It's like Christmas in April, or whatever month it might be.

Today a box arrived.
DSC00798_smaller.jpg

Ummm, that says "HONDA", it can't be for me.

Oh, that's interesting
DSC00799_smaller.jpg

Something good this way lurks
DSC00800_smaller.jpg

It's my new HJC FS-10!
DSC00801_smaller.jpg

DSC00802_smaller.jpg

Here's the previous post on WHY I wanted this helmet
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene.../104997-any-sponsors-selling-hjc-fs-10-a.html

The key feature this helmet has is the built-in retractable sunvisor that goes between prescription glasses and the main visor.
DSC00805_smaller.jpg

DSC00804_smaller.jpg

It also comes with a removable breathguard to prevent your breath from fogging up the shield. With the guard in place and the sunshade down
it gets people's attention.
DSC00806_smaller.jpg

--------------- REVIEW TIME ---------------
Fitment:
I normally wear an XL but heard this came a bit small so ordered an XXL. Fit is about perfect.
Feels great and does not squeeze.
Weight is only 1600 grams. Very light.
My normal daily helmet is a Shoei RF-1000 or a GMax.

Interior:
It has what they call "silvercool" lining. It is moisture-wicking and order-free. I'll test that this summer.
The strap snaps back onto itself. The pads are removable. There are no "ear wells" for my Cardo speakers to velcro too.
The padding sits right next to the ear but does not bother the ear.
I put my speakers 1/2in and 1/2out of the hole for the chin strap and it centered them on my ears and they are
held in place. Using a bit of sticky velcro they should stay just fine.
The padding between the neck and back of helmet is substantial and comfortable.

Exterior:
There are 2 vents up top and a single chin vent. They aren't too big so airflow is not fantastic but noise is definitely cut down vs
other helmets with gaping holes on top. The finish is top notch. The sunshade mechanism is easy to use with a gloved hand and when the button
is pushed the visor springs back into the helmet. Spring loaded, very nice touch.

Noise:
Typical helmet noise at 40, 70 and xxx speeds. It was quieter than my Gmax and about the same as the Shoei. The ONLY issue I had
was the amount of air coming under the chin and up into my eyes. It was like there was a vacuum sucking air straight up into my face and
it was not comfortable. Fortunately I was able to rectify the situation by using the chin skirt from my Shoei. It fit perfectly and stopped
the offending airflow.

Features:
The sunshade is the best thing since sliced bread. I can stop at a light, raise the visor for air and still have the sunshade down blocking
the sun. With the touch of a button I can raise the sunshade, wink at the cute chick on the back of the ZX-12 (she really wanted to join me on
the Busa I could tell, but I had the hump on).

The sunshade is optically correct and caused no issues with my forward or peripheral vision.

The only complaint might be the breathguard. With the guard in place you cannot look down and see your gauges without moving your head. The
guard is just HUGE.

Price:
$229 plus shipping and handling

Final verdict:
This has now become my favorite helmet and has the Scala-Rider on it.
I'm going to be putting alot of miles on it this summer on both the Busa and the VTX. I absolutely love the way this helmet fits and works.

I'd also like to thank GSXcite (Hal) for hooking me up with his parts manager. They matched the deal being given by an online vendor and got it to me fast. I'll forgive the Honda box; this time.

I want (and need) one,
Does the interior sun shield go below line of sight?
This seemed to be an issue with the Shark that it got in the horizontal line of sight.
thanks
Bubba

Very glad you're happy with it...nothing better than $ well-spent!

:beerchug:

I want (and need) one,
Does the interior sun shield go below line of sight?
This seemed to be an issue with the Shark that it got in the horizontal line of sight.
thanks
Bubba

Yes, when looking forward or sideways it's all sunshade. The visor bottom lines up with the field of vision of my glasses so to me it's not noticable. If I can see it through my glasses, I see it through the sunshade.

Update:
Today I rode to work with the breathguard on and rode home with it off. I really like having it on but it definitely blocks easy visibility to the gauges. On the way home, with if removed, I had no problems seeing anything without moving my head. I had pretty strong winds on the ride home and it never felt like it was going to try to leave my head. I'm quite happy with it.

Back