Yet another avoidable tragedy :(

That's a good way to get the point across about helmet laws being ridiculous huh? ??? Die from a head injury in a motorcycle crash while not wearing a helmet................Wait for it................While riding in a helmet law protest. :rofl:
I'm sorry if it seems as if I'm making a joke of this but I say yes, make it a law until rider reaches 21 and then after that it's up to the rider's choice. If their not competent enough by then to see the advantages of wearing a helmet then oh well. Look at it as nature's way of thinning the herd and weeding out the weak & ignorant. Most if not all of the one's protesting against the law only wear the little skull brain buckets anyway and only when they have to which are from what I see are mostly really illegal/not approved anyhow so why wear anything.

It's sad, but to each his/her own. I'm all for the choice. It may not be MY choice, but I honestly don't care to have laws dictating every choice Americans make.

RIP rider...

Via DROID X

It's sad, but to each his/her own. I'm all for the choice. It may not be MY choice, but I honestly don't care to have laws dictating every choice Americans make.

RIP rider...

Via DROID X

I honestly have no problems for laws being put in place to increase the chance of survival in case of an accident.

I think the next law in place should be to ban cigarettes, yeah a lot of addicts will throw a hissy fit, but in the long run it will increase the quality and longevity of their life.

Cigs should not have been invented in the first place.

I honestly have no problems for laws being put in place to increase the chance of survival in case of an accident.

I think the next law in place should be to ban cigarettes, yeah a lot of addicts will throw a hissy fit, but in the long run it will increase the quality and longevity of their life.

Cigs should not have been invented in the first place.

I know this topic is in various threads, but I need to reply to this...remember what a slippery slope we're on here. All it takes is a group of cagers petitioning enough to decide for the "betterment of society" that for the "quality and longevity of life of others" we disallow anything on 2 wheels, and before you know it, laws are being created to ban motorcycles.

I'm all for laws to protect children because, unfortunately, stupid adults won't. But, adults should be able to make informed decisions for themselves. If they want to drink, smoke, ride without gear or even ride motorcycles, I'm all for it as long as it doesn't intentionally hurt others. If we allow gov't to step in and mandate every aspect of what we are allowed to do, that slope steepens and you will lose your rights little by little. Just because you don't like a particular act (like smoking or riding without helmets) does not mean a law should be created to prohibit others.

:2cents:

Tell 'em Michelle!

Ill keep my smokes thank you very much....

I DO agree that a MANDATORY for riders under the age of 21 would be good, but then it just allows them to creep it up in age....personal choice I say..stupid..but personal none the least

Maybe its a whole other can o' worms, but what about seat belts? I would think that is the equivalent to a helmet. banning motorcycles may be a bit dramatic.. but who knows.

I just seen that cigarette companies have to change what is put on the outside of there packaging.. That's the government telling a private company what to put on their own packaging..
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe its a whole other can o' worms, but what about seat belts? I would think that is the equivalent to a helmet. banning motorcycles may be a bit dramatic.. but who knows.

I just seen that cigarette companies have to change what is put on the outside of there packaging.. That's the government telling a private company what to put on their own packaging..
Posted via Mobile Device

Seatbelt laws don't bother me, but retract 'em and I won't whine either...I'll buckle up, you don't have to, decide for yourself and let the chips fall where they may. Children should be restrained, period. For every person saved by a seatbelt, you'll have one case come up that says so-and-so was killed by being trapped by one...

We can't possibly mandate safety on every level. Living is dangerous, choices are just that...I think the line is "what causes harm to others" and so laws are in place to protect OTHERS, not so much YOU. I see a turn in our society now that is to protect YOU/US and that pretty much takes away OUR right to decide. Like I said, it's a slippery slope. When Capitol Hill is voting on taking way our bikes, let's talk about choice...you can't have it both ways...

I know this topic is in various threads, but I need to reply to this...remember what a slippery slope we're on here. All it takes is a group of cagers petitioning enough to decide for the "betterment of society" that for the "quality and longevity of life of others" we disallow anything on 2 wheels, and before you know it, laws are being created to ban motorcycles.

I'm all for laws to protect children because, unfortunately, stupid adults won't. But, adults should be able to make informed decisions for themselves. If they want to drink, smoke, ride without gear or even ride motorcycles, I'm all for it as long as it doesn't intentionally hurt others. If we allow gov't to step in and mandate every aspect of what we are allowed to do, that slope steepens and you will lose your rights little by little. Just because you don't like a particular act (like smoking or riding without helmets) does not mean a law should be created to prohibit others.

:werd: 100% right

I am saddend that a fellow rider died. Ironically he died for something he believed in. That was his choice. The Government has no place in being our parent. If you are an adult then you are responsible for the consequences of your actions.

I choose to wear a helmet not only to protect myself but also in respect for the people I love.

ATGATT !

I think it is an inherent right of every person to risk or not risk their lives as they see it regardless of whether it's stupid, makes sense to others, etc. Everyone of us is free to consider or not consider other factors such as family, friends, future.

I personally think that taking a shower without a helmet is very dangerous because if you slip, fall and hit your head on the tub, you may crack your head open and die. The helmet will protect you in such case.

I also think riding motorcycles is very dangerous. So is skiing, snowboarding, swimming, diving, flying, sky diving.

I also think that not riding motorcycles, not skiing, not snowboarding, not swimming, etc. is even more dangerous because when a person forcefully refrains from such activities such person becomes aggravated, develops a heart condition, has a nervous breakdown, eats too much, gets fat, and eventually dies from a heart attack.

Let me make a choice here. Let's see...

I choose to ride, ski, snowboard, and have as much fun as I can....
:laugh:

While wearing a safety gear which I decided to wear.

I bet if that rider didn't die and recovered, he would still be riding with no helmet. His life - his choice.

It is amazing how the government intruded on our lives that safety laws seemed to have replaced common sense. It's like "I am dumb and I rely on the government to tell me how to make myself safe".

Sad.

Riding in florida where there is no helmet law (you just have to have 10k coverage or health insurance) i have always worn a helmet regardless of heat or a quick trip to the store. After having been in 2 low speed accidents one in san diego and one down here both under 20 mph of course both making lefts at green arrows. And seeing the deep gashes in my helmet i would never ride without a full face helmet. The asphalt doesnt care what speed you are going it will win every time your head meets it. But as most have said its upto each person to decide if they want there family standing over there grave crying "if he had only worn a helmet in stead of looking cool" jm2c

This is the tragedy : Motorcycle helmet use dropped from 67% in 2009 to 54% in 2010, according to a press release issued by the Governors Highway Safety Association.

This is the tragedy : Motorcycle helmet use dropped from 67% in 2009 to 54% in 2010, according to a press release issued by the Governors Highway Safety Association.

i agree that helmets should be a choice. i also agree that many people are completely ignorant to the fact of face meets asphault. so maybe instead of making laws why dont we make it harder to get a license. have people take a class on motorcycle safety. lets face it our motorcycle license is a joke here in ks. WAAAAAYYYY too easy to get, yet most people never get one. i mean hell i have to have an electrical license to work alone...why cause its very hazardous work to myself and others. so shouldnt riders have to have "some" training before heading out into the sunset alone?

instead of forcing someone to do something why dont we gently lead them down the right path. people tend to revolt when being "told" what to do. just like in the case of this poor motorcycle rider. in his case he was probably a lost cause for the helmet, however there are thousands of young kids getting on a motorcycle with no clue of what they are getting themselves into. most of them are doing it cause it is a "fad" or it "looks cool." then they find out how much fun it is and end up getting killed.

a small amount of education goes a long way.

??? If I didn't wear my helm i wouldn't be able to take it off after a good ride and check out the bugs that hit your visor at 185+ :laugh:

:down: this is sad news to me. i am good friends with Tom. i remember him talking about the plans for this ride at the NCOM convention in Albuquerque. ??? i know there has to be more to the story. :poke: how do you end up in a fishtail while riding in parade formation? something else was goin on there. :sasmokin:

i am President of Wyoming Central ABATE. I work within our legislative system to fight for our freedoms; and yes the freedom to choose is one of those freedoms.
:poke: do i wear a helmet? you may ask....Yes, Yes i do, and i push others to spend the $$$ on a really nice helmet. it has been one of the best choices i ever made. i love my Scorpion flip-up! if your not going to wear a helmet, at least rock the gear! leather leather leather Kevlar!:rulez: i have just seen too much to go ride naked.

well im gonna go call Tom:butbut:

Back