YESSSSSSSSS!!!

G

Ok, I was scheduled to pick my busa up Thursday. Well, I just couldn't stand it any longer! I went to work today hating life because I knew that I was off wednesday and thursday and would have to spend wednesday knowing that my bike was sitting there just waiting for me. I talked the Sarge into letting me take off half a day today so I could go get 'er..

I had to sit out a pretty bad thunderstorm at the dealership but it gave me time to check out all of the accessories they had in stock. I'd rather have been riding my new baby but at least I wasn't at work just thinking about the bike.
biggrin.gif
I also removed the rear seat and replaced it with the cowl while I waited. I wanted the full busa effect on the way home.

After the storm passed the sun came back out and the roads started to dry out. By the time I finished looking at goodies and swapping the cowl on you could barely tell it had rained at all except in the parking lot. Hmmm, getting a little nervous. New bike, new tires, wet roads... thoughts of scuffed bodywork and bruised ego are running through my mind. Gulp!

After taking a few pictures for the scrap book I put the helmet on and mount 'er. I turn on the switch and let the fuel system do it's thing. Then I hit the start button. My god, it sounded like music. No, music doesn't hold a candle to what I was hearing. I work up the nerve up to get going. Deep breath and ease out the clutch. She revs so quickly when the throttle is rolled that it startled me. I let off of the throttle as the clutch released and the engine died. Squid!

I fire her back up and try again... To shorten the story, I killed her two more times before I got the throttle/clutch manipulation right. Super Squid!!! At this point I'm praying that this is the worst thing that happens to me before I get home. Well, I finally get her to the road and wait for traffic to clear. I get a break in traffic and pull out. Hey, she didn't die! I'm getting the hang of the throttle and clutch down at this point. I go up through the gears still accidentally blipping the throttle a little on shifts.

Anyway, within two miles I meet four cops, errr, brother officers. Why do I feel guilty? I'm running the freakin' spead limit.
biggrin.gif
They eye me really good as I pray that I don't accidentally blip the throttle while they're watching.
lookaround.gif
I manage not to. In fact, after going through the gears a few times I get the hang of the throttle and no more problems. Just new to me...

I tip-toe through all the police jurisdictions between the dealer and where I work to avoid using a favor up this early in the game. The closer to home I get the more confident I become. So, I spanked 'er a little on a couple of straightaways. Nowhere near redline but I roll on the throttle pretty hard. Man!!! To hear the busa at full song and feel the weight transfer and sudden rush of the wind is undescribeable. Well, you guys know what I'm talking about. I didn't rev too high or for very long but I just had to have a taste...
biggrin.gif

Anyway, now I have this big stupid grin on my face that tells it all. I am now addicted to sport bikes, and especially the busa. I had ridden a few 600's and a 900 before but never felt anything like what my busa done when I rolled on 'er. I can't imagine a drug that could give me anything even close to the high I got after rolling on the throttle.

I still hold a lot of respect for this machine but I get more confident with each mile. I can't wait until tomorrow to ride again. I've only put around 50 miles on it so far but I already know that it's the best money I have ever spent.
biggrin.gif

Thanks again to all who followed my quest for a busa and answered all my rookie questions. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get to know my busa but I know where to come for the answers.

By the way, I'm thinking of changing my member name here to Grinning Idiot...

jump9.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

By the way, here's one of the scrapbook shots. I know it's just a stock busa but I'm so happy to have it that I just can't resist sharing a picture. Kinda like a new parent. In fact, a round of cigars may be in order!
biggrin.gif

busa_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, here's one of the scrapbook shots. I know it's just a stock busa but I'm so happy to have it that I just can't resist sharing a picture. Kinda like a new parent. In fact, a round of cigars may be in order!
biggrin.gif
Right on Bro, Just remember that there is no such thing as "Just" a stock busa.  They start life hardcore and it just gets better (worse?) from there.  Take it all in and enjoy it a bit at a time...

Rev.

A couple more of the scrapbook shots. This one shows the Sportech black chrome windscreen that they threw in on the deal. The black chrome look goes great with the grey on the bike!

busa_02.jpg

Glad to hear you finally got your bird! I like the name...wish I had thought of it but I'll stick to mine. Dude, I know the feeling about when you get on the busa and twist the throttle.....It is very addicting. Welcome to busaholics anonymous!

Thanks bird... It is definitely a rocket on wheels. It just amazes me and I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do.
biggrin.gif

Here's one more shot.

busa_03.jpg

Thank you again... and yes, she has some sexy curves. My new Japanese bride!

jump9.gif

Good to see an officer of the Law getting on this drug.
If more of you rode these machines, then us guys who ride might have better experiances when we encounter the law.

In our training they tell us all about how addictive crack is and how it affects the crack heads. Makes you feel kinda sorry for them... They still have ta ride but you wonder what they could have been if they hadn't tried crack.

Now, after just 50 miles and a few spirited rolls on the throttle I can't imagine crack being any more addictive. I'm going to school over the next three weeks to get instructor certified and in that class we have to draw up a lesson plan and present 50 minutes worth of it. I'm thinking maybe I should develope a lesson plan outlining how to understand the sport bike addiction.
wink.gif

The shop where I bought my busa showed retail on the helmet at $529.95. I got it for $365. Probably cheaper online but I didn't want to wait.
biggrin.gif

I know I said this before and, given some of my antics, am in no position to lecture, but.... please be extra careful on those new tires at least through your next 50-100 miles.  

Love that windscreen...might have to see about gettin' one of those on mine.

Have a blast, dude!  You're gonna love this thing.

Oh, and thanks for the pics.

After the storm passed the sun came back out and the roads started to dry out. By the time I finished looking at goodies and swapping the cowl on you could barely tell it had rained at all except in the parking lot. Hmmm, getting a little nervous. New bike, new tires, wet roads... thoughts of scuffed bodywork and bruised ego are running through my mind. Gulp![/QUOTE]
The Busa curse strikes again. I think it has rained on just about everybody the day they picked up their Busa. I know I had to ride home in the rain.
Congratulations, injoy

Congratulations. As was spoken to me once before, "Welcome to the world of Extreme Motorcycling."

Couple of little things to remember:

(1) Scrub the tires in carefully. That doesn't mean you have to be paranoid (I took delivery in a rainstorm), but just be attentive in the turns. The stock BT56J's wear quickly, but there are several models of tires that will grab just about as well and probably last longer (i.e., search this board).

(2) Stick to the break-in schedule -- your oil consumption and long-term engine maintenance will be reduced as a result. Plus, it's an opportunity to get acquainted with the bike before you meet the beast that lurks at around 6k RPM (particularly above 3rd gear).

(3) The Hayabusa generates most of its horsepower at higher RPMs, but its torque is more widely distributed, starting to peak near that 6k RPM territory. The ECU retards the timing, however, in the lower gears to improve traction -- hence a *drastic* difference when rolling on at higher gears (watch out...).

(4) My throttle cables were slack (dealer didn't adjust after assembly). If you have a dead spot when rolling on or letting off, try tightening the cables at the lever.

(5) My idle was low (dealer didn't adjust after assembly). Nominal idle is around 1150 RPM, and this makes low speed manuevers and slow takeoffs much easier. On the newer model years you have to raise the tank to get to the adjustment screw (very easy).

(...I'm betting some Power Commander purchases are related to #'s 4 and 5 (above), BTW...)

(6) You probably won't have to adjust the chain more than once in the first 1000 miles -- your dealer will do it during the 600mi check anyway. Keep it clean and oiled, however. I like WD40 to clean and heavy gear oil to lube because it attracts less crud, others dig the waxy stuff -- YMMV. If you have to change out your chain at some point, you should probably just go ahead and get a sprocket set at the same time.

(7) The brakes are actually pretty good, but a number of people find them "mushy" at first (also, some dealers don't bleed them after assembly as they should). They do improve in the first few tens of miles as the pads wear in, but if they bug you consider SS or Kevlar lines and upgraded pads -- very good results.

(8) If you like to carry stuff, there are several eligable makers of generic saddlebags and a great rear luggage rack made for the 'Busa by Ventura that I have. Fits and looks great, carries a bunch, and you can still ride 2-up.

(9) Beware overheating in stop-n-go traffic on hot days. It takes some time, but it can happen. Don't be ashamed of pulling off or shutting down and paddling for a bit while it cools -- new engines are expensive. I wrapped my headers (which helped), others have swapped fan blades, added more fans, etc.

bsrigley,

Yeah, I'm being extra careful on the tires. The last thing I want to do is lay this thing down. I've only pushed 'er on the straights just to get a little taste. I won't push her in the turns much at all until after a couple hundred miles at least. It's probably easier for me not to push 'er since I am basically a rookie to sport bikes. Those of you that previously had other sport bikes are no doubt more tempted to wring your bikes out sooner. Me? I'm pretty much ridin' it like a cruiser until I'm more comfortable with the whole sport bike thing. I'm gettin' there though.
biggrin.gif

mcoyote,

Thanks for all the tips and pointers. This board has been a great resource for me in knowing what to expect from my new toy. I think "Extreme Motorcycling" is very fitting for the busa.

As for the brakes, I thought they were very responsive. I have no problem with how they perform so far. Maybe that's because I haven't owned/rode a sport bike with better brakes though. Also, since I really haven't pushed her that hard maybe I haven't been in a situation that would highlight the brakes performance. So far so good but I think I'll get a much better feel with time and experience with the busa.

Also, I'll probably be looking into some bags. So far, I like the looks of the Corbin hard bags. I plan to use the busa for some photography day trips and I think the hard bags would provide a little more protection for my camera gear. I also kind of like the Corbin rear seat for when I take a female friend with me on trips.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm soaking it all in...

can you see through that windscreen?
No, the screen is not transparent. From the back it looks like the back side of a glass mirror. It's the chrome coating that you see from the back. Might be a problem for some but my fat a$$ can't tuck down low enough to have a problem with it.
mad.gif

Back