Yellow Box

Hi, I just bought a used 03' black and silver Bus. It's true I am a :newbie:. I really love this bike, it's got soul! I used to have a bandit twelve but the busa with its 7k wall of horsepower is something else. Any how back to the real purpose of my posting here. The other night my brother and I were out on the highway doing some top gear roll-ons. He is on a 98 blackbird. To my amazement he pulled away from me in any gear except second!!!  However in the busa's defence he has dropped one tooth on the front sprockett and gained three on the back. Does it make that big of a difference? to test this I just ordered a set of gears 16/42. will find out how it does in a week or two. Now, when I do the change my speedo will be out and I dont like that. So has anyone built their own yellow box? is it possible, or do I have to cough up the $100.00 US which is about five million canadian just to have an accurate speedometer.

If a company can build them, then so can somebody with some parts and know-how. But you are probably better off getting the Yellow Box from the manufacturer. With the sprocket changes you are talking about, that speedo is going to way off, but the Busa will definitely spank that Blackbird.

I have 16/42 and it was a huge improvement!!! No bike unless it has engine work can beat me in a roll-on. My speedo was off 19%(GPS) but the YellowBox fixed that with no problems.

You're probably right about anybody being able to do it but I am a bit of a hack and would probably spend more than the 100beans trying to figure out how to build one. I like the sounds of waxing the floor with my brothers bird, that crow has had a five mile grin on his face since the roll-on :devil: Victory will be mine! With the speedo being out 19% that means it is going to read 19% higher, right?

Right. Straight from the factory the speedos are off by about 7%. Meaning that it indicates 7% faster than you are actually going. The sprocket changes you are proposing will make that error even more, perhaps something like 18%. But the Yellow Box will correct those errors easily. I think I have mine corrected to within 1% of accurate. The acceleration your bike will produce after your changes will be frighteningly fast. With practice you should walk away from him from standing starts and roll-ons in any gear. The Busa has more HP and torque throughout the power band and those new sprockets will really make those advantages stand out.

I have to admit, I am a little unimpressed that the stock speedo is 7% off but ahwell still a great bike. do you guys know where I can find a cheaper box than black box electronics?

I don't know of another speedo adjuster. Sorry.

As to the speedo error... All bikes have some error. Suzuki is really no worse than anyone else. Even cars are off by around 5% usually. I don't think we should think of it as sloppy engineering so much as a policy decision by manufacturers.

thanks for the info flcn. I realise that all bikes are out a bit, just seven percent seemed a little high :rock: the only engineering I am dissapointed with is the thin windscreen with all it's buzzin' and a rattlin' :D

i bought a speedo healer from www.speedohealer.com for 80.00 and that included delivery its the same thing as the yellow box not as pretty but 20.00+ cheeper just thought id tell ya

i mounted my speedohealer last night and did it the right way
with solder and shrink tube once i found the sensor it only took me maybe 20-30 min total to mount it i will be posting pics on www.speedohealer.com as they have no pics of busa's on there, my problem was the ol math teacher saying id need algebra some day lol, but i sent norbert at S.H. an email and told him i was changing to the 220mph faceplates and dropping a tooth on my front sprocket the guy sent me an email within a couple hours explaining the whole number mumbo jumbo see below and the bottom line is im up and running, well except for the pouring rain i woke up to today in western pa what we need is a hayabusa wave runner hmmm?

err_1 = 1.01 (assuming approx. 50% rear tyre)
err_2 = 2.50 / 2.35 = 1.0638
err_3 = 1.055 (assuming default initial speedo error)

In your case, there is an other error tag due to the face plate change:

err_4 = 220/180 = 1.2222

Total Speedo Error = 1.01 * 1.0638 * 1.055 * 1.2222 = 1.3854 (+38.54 %)

SH Calibration Value = (100 / 1.3854) - 100 = -27.8 %

So you can start with -27.8 %, then you can fine tune the device later on.

anyway check out speedohealer.com i think its worth the money you save.

does the speedohealer have the same adjustment as the yellow box? sounds like they are pretty good to deal with.
actually they have more adjustment so you can tune it in to the closest possable precentage. it took me a few min to figure out where it all went but all in allit was quick there are pics on the speedohealer.com site of my 01 showing what wires go where.

Back