Years riding experience

umm...hmm well im 19 now, will be 20 on june 14th. Have a harley sportster custom ATM. been riding it since i was 17. Will be picking up my busa in 3.5 months from superkaos.

So i have about, hmm...3 years

Most of you have been riding for longer than i have been alive.

1712260817504.jpeg

Cracking Up Lol GIF by MOODMAN

since early ‘70’s *

View attachment 1681499
View attachment 1681500
since early ‘70’s *

Red's sharing home video from his childhood...you've gotten taller...

What many people fail to appreciate, is that "Years of riding experience" on a Hayabusa is 1.21 times that of a more pedestrian machine due to the space / time continuum...

What many people fail to appreciate, is that "Years of riding experience" on a Hayabusa is 1.21 times that of a more pedestrian machine due to the space / time continuum...
I find my Hayabusa to be far more relaxing to ride than my old GSXRs were....

Now some crazy supercharged or turbo Hayabusa is an entirely different animal.....they will either add or subtract riding years.....in a hurry......

It's a funny thing, I owned a mini bike when 14 odd, then nothing really until I was 17 and got my license and rode ever since. Other kids I have observed spend years riding little motocross and then never get a road bike. I guess it's in your blood or it's not. There are a lot of "new" riders around today that are in their 50's and older, blokes and sometimes chicks that haven't ridden since they were 14 and suddenly decide they want to hit the open road. It must be that midlife crisis they talk about?

Anyway they get a license easy, a 3 day training course, and then are out there with the traffic riding like they are still in their cars. A strange breed them guys and gals, weekend only types. The general reaction of the riding community is "good on ya" but I feel like slapping them in the face just to see if they have the balls to stand up for themselves. We all had our crashes, got them out of the way when we were young and healed fast. These new riders don't seem to even consider crashing as a distinct possibility? I'm all for safety myself so I keep well away from them, they have a nasty habit of running wide in corners, especially the ones on the adventure bikes out on the dirt backroads :laugh:

Personally, I don't think years riding experience means much. If it did, Rossi would still be the world MotoGp champion.

I think I was better on my bike after two years of riding experience than what I am today.

It's that old saying, 40 years of riding experience means 2 years of experience repeated 20 times.

Personally, I don't think years riding experience means much. If it did, Rossi would still be the world MotoGp champion.

I think I was better on my bike after two years of riding experience than what I am today.

It's that old saying, 40 years of riding experience means 2 years of experience repeated 20 times.

I agree, I've met several people who have been 'riding' a motorcycle for many years...and have no business even sitting on one.
Most of them eventually bit the dust and stopped, a few others...I don't know how they're still alive, lol.
I remember one who was terrifying to ride behind, as you really couldn't pass as he was literally all over the road.
I would pull over, wait one minute and go again, I was genuinly concerned he would head on a car...which would then likely plow me...no thankyou.
I usually ride alone anymore, or with only a small handful of guys who's riding skills I trust.

I agree, I've met several people who have been 'riding' a motorcycle for many years...and have no business even sitting on one.
Most of them eventually bit the dust and stopped, a few others...I don't know how they're still alive, lol.
I remember one who was terrifying to ride behind, as you really couldn't pass as he was literally all over the road.
I would pull over, wait one minute and go again, I was genuinly concerned he would head on a car...which would then likely plow me...no thankyou.
I usually ride alone anymore, or with only a small handful of guys who's riding skills I trust.
LOL, when it comes to dirt biking on single track, the older you get, the better you were.

I find in some cases, the more experience you have the more complacent with over-confidence you become...

I ride with my head on a swivel all the time watching for any threat that I can encounter and really pick and choose how I ride...as we know these bikes have ferocious acceleration and can get a person into trouble really quickly...

I watch some of these You Tube videos of these reckless riders and do my best to do the opposite of what they do.

I find in some cases, the more experience you have the more complacent with over-confidence you become...

I ride with my head on a swivel all the time watching for any threat that I can encounter and really pick and choose how I ride...as we know these bikes have ferocious acceleration and can get a person into trouble really quickly...

I watch some of these You Tube videos of these reckless riders and do my best to do the opposite of what they do.
Comparing my mid 20's to today, I think my bal&s have shrunk somewhat.

In short, as we get older we are more responsible. To be a really good rider, measured by how fast you can go around a track, or a mountain pass, there is a lot of risk involved, which you have to take.

Comparing my mid 20's to today, I think my bal&s have shrunk somewhat.

In short, as we get older we are more responsible. To be a really good rider, measured by how fast you can go around a track, or a mountain pass, there is a lot of risk involved, which you have to take.
I was racing competitively in my '20s so my skill set of that stage of my life far exceeds that of today........and I have gained enough wisdom to know that and thus ride accordingly....

That and the knowledge that riding aggressive on the streets can only end badly...

The roads I frequent are wrought with animals, farm equipment and in most cases, crappy pavement....the upside to this is, it is less frequented by idiots out to prove how fast they can go......there are a few, I've been passed by idiots in all kinds of vehicles from mini-vans to crappy tuner wannabe cars....I just let them go hoping I won't be the first person to come across their wreck site and have to perform first aid on them....

I was racing competitively in my '20s so my skill set of that stage of my life far exceeds that of today........and I have gained enough wisdom to know that and thus ride accordingly....

That and the knowledge that riding aggressive on the streets can only end badly...

The roads I frequent are wrought with animals, farm equipment and in most cases, crappy pavement....the upside to this is, it is less frequented by idiots out to prove how fast they can go......there are a few, I've been passed by idiots in all kinds of vehicles from mini-vans to crappy tuner wannabe cars....I just let them go hoping I won't be the first person to come across their wreck site and have to perform first aid on them....
Hi. I have been riding for a few weeks now so I think I am good to go and race now.

Back