Yea baby!! i got hid's now

well..I'm waiting..
rock.gif

how much was the kit? do the bulbs last long? i've been putting this baby off for years and i keep tossin' the idea around.
rock.gif

1/2 hour install?? WOW!! I ass u med you had to take off the nose to get at the back of the lights for mounting the transformer thingys. I am going to get the HIDs when my Silverstars go. I am spending money left and right and mods. Not alot to some but it is adding up for me and I have to chose which mods I like best and in what order etc.. But I will get it probably in the winter either way when I am bored and can't ride. I would love to see install pics in progress I mean.

1/2 hour install?? WOW!! I assumed you had to take off the nose to get at the back of the lights for mounting the transformer thingys.[/QUOTE]
Nope,did not have to take off the nose at all.
Ok,about a 1/2 hr,but that is not including the 10 minutes or so I spent before George arrived for me to take the front 2 inners and dashboard and windscreen off.
The (2) transformers sit nicely (doublesided taped) on top of the right side air induction tube and inner dash panel....
Dang George,get those pics up here!!

Brendanp,
Not trying to jack your thread, just showing an alternate method for mounting the ballasts and igniters.

Don

In the short time I've known Brendan he's done A LOT for me. He's very mechanically inclined and I'm the complete opposite. So it was my pleasure to be able to do something for him!

The HID install is VERY simple! After reading all the posts I was a thinking that it would take a few hours with removing the nose and all. But when I did the install on Thor first, I realized that I could reach both high and low beams without removing the nose. All you have to do is remove your upper panels, and your gauge cluster. This gives you access to your low beam and - as you'll see in Brendan's install - a place to mount the 2 ballasts under the panels.

6000k high beam and 6000k low beam kits

hid0.jpg

I started with the high beam (9007 bulb). Simple reach under the nose and you'll fell the bulb. Turn the bulb to the left to unlock it and remove.

hid1.jpg

hid2.jpg

You'll need a screw driver to remove the bulb from the female connector.

hid3.jpg

hid4.jpg

Once that's done, there's a male connector on the HID harness which plugs into the female connector on your Busa, which supplies power for the ballast. Simply connect the 2 together.

hid5.jpg

hid8.jpg

Once that's done, reach up into the nose and seat your HID bulb. There's enough slack on the harness to run it inside the nose and into the upper panel.

hid9.jpg

I mounted the 9007 ballast using some 3M heavy duty 5 lb tape on the bottom of the ballast and secured it to the air duct. There are 3 wires from the bulb harness that you connect to the ballast... and you're high beam is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
On to the low beam (H7) bulb.

hid10.jpg

Remove the bulb connector...

hid11.jpg

Remove the rubber gasket that covers the bulb and plug.

hid12.jpg

Then unlatch the metal clip that holds the bulb in place.

hid13.jpg

Remove the bulb from the connector and connect the 2 wires from the HID harness into the positive and negative posts of the bulb connector.

hid14.jpg

Install the HID bulb into the nose, lock the latch, and reinstall the rubber bushing (remember to face the drain holes of the bushing down). Now, run the H7 harness the same route to the upper panel. I mounted the H7 ballast on the same side as the 9005 ballast with the double sides tape. Connect the 3 wires from the harness into the ballast... done!

hid15.jpg

Before...

hid16.jpg

After...

hid18.jpg

hid19.jpg

<!--EDIT|BigGeorge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157261956 -->

I will mention: DO NOT touch the bulbs,as the oil from your skin will greatly reduce bulb life.
wink.gif

I did a lot of research before making a Kelvin selection. I wanted the most light WITHOUT having glare. I wasn't looking for purple or blue... I wanted pure white with a clean cut-off; meaning that the edges of your light pattern are crisp. Everything I read pointed to 5800k (or 6000k). Everything I read also indicated that 8000k, 10,000k, and 12,000k would give the complete opposite of what I was trying to achieve... you'd get glare because of a harsh cut-off. The harsh cut-off is not only bad for your eyes, but it's bad when it's raining, AND it pisses off oncoming traffic.

I'm not claiming to be an expert in HID. I have a 6000k kit in my Explorer and my Busa. And I'm not putting down anyone who has chosen another Kevlin. I'm only going on my personal experience and from what I've read. Some people prefer the yellowish tint of 2300k, some people like the bluish tint from 8000k, and some like the purplish tint from 12,000k. I went with pure, natural light.

By far the best site I found for HID information and pictures confirming the 8000k, 10,000k, and 12,000k glares and harsh cut-off is

(Rhythm @ Sep. 02 2006,16:45)]LQQkz like a 8000k HID

Hard to tell from the photo but it's 6000k. Pure white light!!!
cool.gif

rock.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Pics and write up! Looks very easy to do! I have to do just a matter of when. Thanks for pushing me a little bit more into it. LOL
smile.gif

I just finsihed my low beam HID install. Friggin sweet! Once again I'll say: If I can do it, anyone can!
wink.gif

It's raining out, but I have to say that they really do a great job illuminating the garage
biggrin.gif

Back