Yancy's 250MPH Busa

EAKbusa

Registered
Oops, I mean 250MPH, my goof. (edit)

In the new Motorcyclist there is an article about Rich Yancy's street legal 250MPH Busa. Some of the details (only skimmed the artical so far, had to get back to work): fully street legal, stock wheelbase, Mr Turbo turbo charger with custom intercooler, approx. 425HP with boost, holder of the new land speed record for open wheeled motorcycle (run at Maxton). It even says that the bike is his "daily driver" (yeah right). It also has a dump pipe straight into a Yoshi mid pipe and can. Talk about a sleeper-busa. Yikes!

Looks like a cool article and lots of pics. Very nice read for a Busa fan. Check it out!

<!--EDIT|EAKbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1073680654 -->

tires.... do they mention the tires?
rock.gif
what kind of tires do those guys trust? I bet it was those colored ones from that aircraft tire company ;)

Yeah, pretty red ones (ha). Good one WWJD. The article does mention they had problems with slicks (where unstable at high speed belive it or not) and they went back to street tires (can't remember what kind) which gave them better straight-line stability, but less full lean grip - which they do not need.

I was fortunate enough to see the 250 MPH run on Yancys bike back in October of 03. Here is the post.

Give me a minute and I will go through some of the photos I have and post pics that hopefully will answer some of your questions.

Seriously though, anyone that owns a Busa owes it to themselves to experience life on the top end of the speedo at least once.

Yancys bike broke the record, unfortunately, Yancy was not the rider. Yancy is a very tall man 6'6" maybe? I think he had some trouble staying small and out of the wind. Attached is a pic of the rider (Lee) that hit 250 on the bike (in the yellow leathers). I am standing next to him. To give you an idea of size, I am 5'7" @ 145lbs.

In the link I posted above, you will see Yancy on the bike and you can see just how tall he is. He is wearing the blue, black and white leathers I think.

I can't find any close up pics of the tire, but I did look at it while I was there. It was a Michelin Pilot Sport race slick. After the first couple runs on Saturday he had trouble with the rear breaking traction when the turbo hit. He had 3, steel plates that he bolted to the bottom of the bike centered between the front and rear wheels. I think he said each plate weighed about 20lbs.

I have to give Lee his due, even though it wasn't his bike, he is a great rider. He had a juiced up GSXR 1000 that he ran 201 MPH on to set a record for that class. I don't think it had a turbo.

I have no doubt Yancys Bud bike was his daily driver. It sounded and ran great. Heck, as much money as he has wrapped up in it, I would be driving it every day.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Later,

IMG09.JPG

guys like u give the busa a good name

way the go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just read the article. Man what a Busa. Congrats. Busa is definately boss........ 250 plus, Man that really is incredable.

I just re-read the article what an incredable amount of work. Great job.

Thanks, 382 for the added info. You saw it first hand, must have been cool. Awesome, that's all I can say. And again, the article in Motorcyclist is a good read for all.

Ride on (very quickly I might add)!

Thanks for the info EAKbusa...I don't race mine (yet), but I love to sponge up all the info I can and love looking at Busas on shiny paper! I'm being stupid...thanks though, I'm going to buy it this week...
smile.gif

Sorry the last post was a little short, I was in a hurry.

Anyway, thanks for all the positive feedback and I would like to add the following for all those that think racing would be cool, but don't know how to start or are maybe just a little intimidated.

As a first time Land Speed Racer, the ECTA track in Maxton, NC is a great place to learn. The cost is less than $200 and the runs are typically the last weekend of the month so most people don't need to use up vacation.

If you have never raced before, do not worry. You are not allowed to go out and 'tear it up' on your first time out. You will have to go through rookie orientation (first thing Saturday morning), you will also have to pass tech inspection.

Your drivers license is only good for you to race vehicles/bikes at 125MPH or slower. You will have to make licensing runs for anything above that.

Licensing runs are as follows.
125-150 Class D
150-175 Class C
175-200 Class B
200-300 Class A

You DO NOT have to run your bike at top speed if you do not want to. You can go at 'Drive Miss Daisy' speeds all day long if you want. Everyone at the track is very supportive and helpful. No pressure.

I Live to race, so I could talk about this forever. As always, if anyone needs help getting their bike prepped, PM me and I will walk you through what you need to do to get ready.

Ride safe,

PS - Vabusa, we could use a woman on a bike during race weekend. There is just something cool about a chick on a bike, so a chick on a Busa really would put you in an elite group. I saw a woman in a streamliner go 201MPH in October last year. I was really happy for her, but a little pissed because she was faster than me.

PS - Vabusa, we could use a woman on a bike during race weekend.  There is just something cool about a chick on a bike, so a chick on a Busa really would put you in an elite group.  I saw a woman in a streamliner go 201MPH in October last year.  I was really happy for her, but a little pissed because she was faster than me.
I'd love nothing more than to take to the track...learn cornering from the pros...hell, just watch you guys race would be nice!

I'm not ruling out some track time...I wouldn't be the best, but I'd sure have some fun! Going to have to wait until my boys a big enough to sit in one place for more than 5 minutes and cheer mom on!

BTW...busababe813 is our newest resident "race-girl"...she's prepping her Busa to drag race...I'm more of a road racing kind of girl I think (saying this as if I know what in the hell I'd like?!)

Oh, and sorry a girl kicked your butt!
tounge.gif

Oh, and sorry a girl kicked your butt! [/QUOTE]

Oh man, I'm bleeding from that one. I think your wit is a quick as your bike.

It's all good though, I'll be faster this year. Can't help you with the road racing, but I am sure you will do just fine on your own.

I better get going, I need to find some bandages before I bleed to death.
face7.gif

Back