yamaha fjr 1300

AMong

Registered
Saw one of these bikes the other day, and just checked it out on the yammy website. Seems like a pretty cool ride, is it sporty at all , or 100% geared toward touring. Never heard of it before, but would it fall in the same class as a busa? ( the whole sport - touring deal )?? Seems yamaha would want to produce a hyperbike , seeing as they already seem to have a platform for a big cc 4 cylinder...

They are a more on the touring side than sport side. Same catagory as the Honda ST1300. The trunk they have is fuggy. I wouldn't spend extra for it unless you really need more space than the saddle bags provide. Even then, I think I would rather strap a dufflebag to the rack. Great bike. Not as much brute power as the Busa, but it will definately hang with the Busa in the twisties.

AMong - I own a '05 FJR (and a '05 Busa). IMHO, the FJR is not in the same class as the Busa. The FJR is considered a sport-tour'er, although a bit more sport'ier than many of the sport-tour'er machines (ST-1300, etc). The FJR claims 145hp & 100 ft lbs of torque (16 valve engine). The engine does pull pretty strong (redline 9K), through its 5-speed trany. The bike handles very well for its weight (around 560 lbs). Top end somewhere around 155-163 or so. To become a hyper-bike, the FJR would need one hell of a lot of changes!
smile.gif

In comparison to the Bsua, the FJR feels like a tank. I enjoy both bikes, but there's a world of difference between them.

Thanks for the insight , Seems like it would be a pretty cool bike to have for serious long rides, Would rather have that then a gold wing or ultra classic hog... Is this something you could ride 8 or 9 hour days on , like a wing ? or is it not quite to that point ?

Yes, I too was considering an FJR - something to fit between my '04 Busa and my Roadstar. Rode an FJR and found it to be very comfortable and accomodating for general purpose use (nice to have locking hardbags for errand duty and touring with my wife who rides close to the speed limit - even on the 'Busa). As well, ithe FJR seemed to be up to hooligan antics!
I did not ride it back-to-back with my 'Busa and was a little suprised to hear it likened to a tank!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I wouldn't really say the Busa is a Sport Tourer personally. Its heavy, but, no sport tourer. Yes the ergo's are nicer than the Superbike class, but, ST?? Naaaa... not really. Reminds more of a class like the old ZX-11 and 12 of Sportbike.

i had an 04 fjr1300 . i put over 12,000 miles on it in the first 3 months i had it

i did over 1200 miles on it in the first 2days ( rode it home from wisconsin to ny )

you can do 9 hour days with it if you change the stock seat . the padding was too soft for me and after about 2 hrs i would be sore as could be . i put a russell day long seat on it and it was perfect . truly an all day touring bike with real good power . perfect for 2 up riding .

<!--EDIT|gm1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127372234 -->

oh and another thing it is plenty sporty . i owned both the busa and the fjr at the same time and rode them back to back and the fjr wasnt that much different .

it felt great in the twistys . the only thing that sucks is it has "yamaha reliability" i blew the tranny on it when it had 13,000 miles and yamaha didnt make good on the warranty . typical yamaha , they claimed "it could be from abuse " even though the dealer was on my side 100%

AMong - Oh! If you're comparing a Wing, let me re-phrase... the FJR is a bit on the "tank'ish side", compared to the Busa. The Goldwing is definitely the tank!
biggrin.gif
The extra weight on the FJR is definitely noticeable (over the Busa). The FJR is a good all-around bike though, and has a lot of practical uses. I find I pull it out of the garage more often than the Busa only because I need its storage capabilities, and it is more comfortable to ride longer distances. Before I bought my Busa several people told me that as soon as I got my Busa I'd never want to ride the FJR again. I found that not to be the case. I still enjoy them both. Here's my numbers:

Overall fun factor:
Busa = 10
FJR = 7 (maybe 8 if you remove the hard bags and ride it hard)

Comfort:
Busa = 7
FJR = 9 (change out the OEM seat)

Handling:
Busa = 9
FJR = 8

Buy one, it's a good all-around bike.
smile.gif
And as you've probably heard, Yamaha supposily fixed several of the deficienties of earlier models, and added a few new touches to it.

Back